weld on toque tab?

LakeAnna

So....the consensus is....this is rong? :very sad The way I got it.

Bob
:at the bar
Robert mine was just like that on my first GS with sportmaster... It lasted from 97 to 03 and was fine the day I sold it. I would think it just depends on the quality of the prep and weld job like others have said.

catfish123

Sort of like people who smoke 2 packs of cigarettes for a period of 20 years. Many of them will get lung cancer during that time, although some will never get it, but I believe it goes without saying, that they all certainly increased their chance of getting it.

TBuck2003

All good points but something to keep in mind. The amount of flare on the tab, and where the flare is makes a huge difference on the forces at bay. The more stress on the torque tab, the more likely a failure can occur. Obviously a qualified welder is paramount, and how much heat, and penetration depth is critical. In these type of failures the WELD will not break, it will break adjacent to the weld in the heat affected zone. This is where the cast metal fibers have been changed due to the heat of the welding. This is where to look for the cracks to start.

jas638

Banned
my buddy has a xr-6 case (i think ,real small bullet) he ran it 123 on radar in an xr2002 comp. it had a welded torque tab like roberts. real thin !! i think it was notched at the top and the bottom. this was back in mid 90's. he still has the case today ,runs it on his ss comp. same motor ,was built by gene trikel.dont know if i spelt his name right. the ss comp not near as fast as the xr ,nor does it drive as well. screw the whole topic on this case welding and lets get allison to bring back the xr2002!!!!!

msethsmile

Funny Guy
procomp--
I've had good luck with several welded tabs, one almost a decade old. Find a welder that: 1. doesn't get the metal too hot. 2. minimizes porosity. The decade+ old one is a JC/200 and has a fair amount of hours. Same guys still there?

procomp

procomp--
I've had good luck with several welded tabs, one almost a decade old. Find a welder that: 1. doesn't get the metal too hot. 2. minimizes porosity. The decade+ old one is a JC/200 and has a fair amount of hours. Same guys still there?
Thanks. If I grab this CLE I think I'll send it to JC or Titus especially if its gonna go on an Allison. If it goes on an STV I may just epoxy a tab on it.
I have a buddy who is an aluminum welder and I'd have no problem letting him put one on for me but if that PC7 epoxy is as good as people say, I'd try that first based on the feedback I've received.

MWest77

I've had my butt ripped to peices on here about welding on gear cases, skegs, etc. Some folks have had bad luck with them and just as many others call bs. I know one thing for sure, the guy better be a top notch welder. If you are a speed freak like most of these guys on here, I'd say no to a welded anything on a gear case. Myself, seldomly ever seeing top end unless running from one hole to another, averaging 65mph or less, so what. There still a lot of boat and motor in the water. I will be getting a sportmaster soon so I shouldn't have to worry about it but I'm keeping my repaired nose-coned per-load as a spare. Running anything at high speeds has risks and I would bet that skegs breaking off, new or repaired were due to hitting debris at some time or another at high speeds. You should always be looking for cracks anyways because cast aluminum sucks as it is. Either way, check your lower unit each time before you go out and you shouldn't have any problems.

MWest77

:beating dead horseI'd also bet that a lot of guys who freak out about it have welded on tabs and don't even know it.....:gasp

Terry McLeod

:beating dead horseI'd also bet that a lot of guys who freak out about it have welded on tabs and don't even know it.....:gasp
Dude,

No freaking out from me. I had a welded on torque tab from one of the two best in the business. The skeg developed a fracture after 3 years in the area weakened by the weld. My lower unit didn't have a scratch on it anywhere. I wasn't too happy about spending a couple of grand to replace it. I've been running an unwelded sportmaster for ten years with no cracks.
Not beating a dead horse either. Procomp asked the question about welded on torque tabs and now he can make an informed decision.
Run what you want. It's no skin off my neck.

My 2 cents worth.

Terry

Terry

suicidealli

A lot of them crack. Todd mentioned the roll on the tab, but what is worse is carrying a load and making sharper turns. It put a lot of pressure from the side. With the tab extending further out, And not attached at the top to the housing, adds extra pressure.
When notched, even makes it weaker. If not welded correctly they will crack next to the weld. To much pressure they crack at the housing. I run a 200 case with a welded tab. All done by tooter. It cracked and was welded.. The good thing is, if the tab cracks off steering sucks, but your not going to crash. If it starts cracking at the housing, and not noticed, it could mess you up....

Roy

GotMyAlly

How many people that have cracked a skeg have also previously bat-turned the boat? I'd have to think the side-load during a bat turn would be the worst case scenario in terms of stressing the skeg.

catfish123

I had 2 cracked skegs and both were before I had done any bat turns. I'm with Terry. Run whatever you want. TRUST ME........the real freakin out will happen immediately if your skeg breaks off. I caught both of my cracks while the boat was on the trailer and AGAIN, my boat never bat turned before either of those cracks and I never hit anything either. Weld it if you want, step out in front of an oncoming bus if you want...................your decision, your life.

njj502

I think the moral of the story is do what you feel safe with but ALWAYS DO GOOD PRE & POST FLIGHT INSPECTIONS!!!!!!!!

suicidealli

I know some guys that did a hard bat turn from the skegged cracked off. It was a 200 case, and primed. They figure it was welded, but who knows... When a skeg cracks off you go left...

Roy

mdevrow

Beating this thread to death, Experience is the Best teacher.If you run with the case surfaced Truly surfaced then all you have is the Skeg for Control Nothing Else. The weak link in this (case) the skeg Because of Engine Height, High Speeds, bump hear and their from trash or sandbars Puts TONS of pressure on the skeg. I run alot of engine height for better Handling,less steering torque,better topend and all around performance FOR ME my Application . Mods or no Mods I have lost the Entire Skeg several times (over) it will come off below the bullet And will cause HEALTH issues. FLY at your own risk!!!! I see a Pontoon boat in my future top speed unknown!!

suicidealli

Beating this thread to death, Experience is the Best teacher.If you run with the case surfaced Truly surfaced then all you have is the Skeg for Control Nothing Else. The weak link in this (case) the skeg Because of Engine Height, High Speeds, bump hear and their from trash or sandbars Puts TONS of pressure on the skeg. I run alot of engine height for better Handling,less steering torque,better topend and all around performance FOR ME my Application . Mods or no Mods I have lost the Entire Skeg several times (over) it will come off below the bullet And will cause HEALTH issues. FLY at your own risk!!!! I see a Pontoon boat in my future top speed unknown!!
I do the samething.. My motor never goes even with the pad...lol
Means More pressure...... 3/8-3/4 above.... Usually around 1/2.
Speed is risky.... I promised my better half I would slow Down when I hit 45 years old... Well I turned 45 last month.

:-(

msethsmile

Funny Guy
My pontoon runs 14 mph @ wot and I've never had a skeg problem. I didn't see any advantage after adding the low water pick-ups, although the stern runs a little more free. Bow lift is the same.

suicidealli

I have pontoon too. They are some family fun. I added an extra pontoon. I named it "TRIEDPOON". It has a 4 banger I/O. It runs 29.5 GPS. I got it down to 16% slip. Lol
If the engine pod was big enough for a Small block would be in there..lol. The pod is welded on... So I'm maxed out......i can pull a skier, tuber, and. Wake board now... My boys call it the big slow boat... 27'. We have had some great times on it.... No skeg issues yet...

Roy

Last edited:

procomp

I have pontoon too. They are some family fun. I added an extra pontoon. I named it "TRIEDPOON". It has a 4 banger I/O. It runs 29.5 GPS. I got it down to 16% slip. Lol
If the engine pod was big enough for a Small block would be in there..lol. The pod is welded on... So I'm maxed out......i can pull a skier, tuber, and. Wake board now... My boys go it the bif slow boat... 27'. We have had some great times on it.... No skeg issues yet...

Roy
I've got a 22ft Tahoe toon with a 115 4 stroke. Does around 25.
Hey Roy, was adding a 3rd toon a good bang for the buck?