weld on toque tab?

catfish123

This will be the best advice you will get, what you choose to do with it is obviously your decision.

procomp

Really? I'd never run a welded skeg (repaired) but there are tons of people running welded on torque tabs. Lots on 200 and XR6 cases.

2003225X

Really? I'd never run a welded skeg (repaired) but there are tons of people running welded on torque tabs. Lots on 200 and XR6 cases.
If you cut the back of the skeg and weld the tab on it will weaken the material under the bullet on the case. Sooner or later you will develop a horizontal crack right under the bullet that usually turns towards the bottom and you loose the skeg.

catfish123

Sorry, having a bad day, but I'm sure you can find someone to weld, bolt, screw, or pop rivet any type of material you want on the back of your skeg, it's yours, do what you want. I "know" you "could" screw a piece of plywood onto it as well.

2003225X

procomp

LOL I give up, sorry I asked. Maybe I'll call Titus and see where he buys his and how he attaches, them, weld or epoxy.
Buddy ran a 120mph RiverRocket with a case just like this one and I've seen tons at Jasper.
I assumed because they looked so good they were welded on. Thanks for the smart *** comments :)

Attachments

Last edited:

LakeAnna

LOL I give up, sorry I asked. Maybe I'll call Titus and see where he buys his and how he attaches, them, weld or epoxy.
Buddy ran a 120mph RiverRocket with a case just like this one and I've seen tons at Jasper.
I assumed because they looked so good they were welded on. Thanks for the smart *** comments :)
I ran one welded by Lee Sanderson on my last GS over 100mph many times without fail. Robbie does all that mess for him now I guess. You could always give them a call at 804-706-4100.

What are you up to anyway??:wink

procomp

I bought a popped 98 200efi 25" motor and am toying with the idea of turning it into a 20" prostock motor :) Sell the GS and maybe get an XB02 as I've never tried one of those either.

Last edited:

Terry McLeod

Editing comment below.

Last edited:

Terry McLeod

Dude,

These comments are not Smart@ss, they are from experience. I have had a welded torque tab by someone who is condisidered outstanding in the business. Sure, it may last for a while, but it WILL fail well before the unwelded lower unit will. Just my .02 cents worth. If that's what you want and you aren't worried about a shortened life of your lower unit, go for it.
Don't know if Titus lowers are welded or not but his web site states "Custom Marine and Welding" and his warranty is for one year against the paint peeling off. These comments can help you make an informed decision. You should listen instead of being a "Smart@ss yourself.
Link to Titus website http://www.low-h2o.com/index.htm

Terry

Last edited:

2003225X

When you posted the question, you were looking for ONE specific answer...

You didn't get the answer you wanted, so you asked the question over on Scream and Fly...

Lee Sanderson is a FANTASTIC welder and he taught Robbie how to do what he does now, and he is also a FANTASTIC welder... If both of their welding skills won't get a case to last, it isn't happening. Both of them are first class...

I have seen 2 brand new out of the box sportmasters that had the SAME thing done in the picture crack within a pretty short period of time. I would think someone that would spend $3000 on a case and then a couple hundred more having it modified would want it to last.

Bottom line... it is your gearcase. If you want to have it done like the one in the picture, go for it. If it decides to come off at 100 mph you better be ready for a heck of a ride, and then prepared to get your wallet out to replace it.

The only thing anyone is trying to do is give you real world experience with a case that has had that done to it.

2003225X

dude,

these comments are not smart@ss, they are from experience. I have had a welded torque tab by someone who is condisidered outstanding in the business. Sure, it may last for a while, but it will fail well before the unwelded lower unit will. Just my .02 cents worth. If that's what you want and you aren't worried about a shortened life of your lower unit, go for it.
Don't know if titus lowers are welded or not but his web site states "custom marine and welding" and his warranty is for one year against the paint peeling off. These comments can help you make an informed decision. You should listen instead of being a "smart@ss yourself.

Terry
exactly!

catfish123

I apologize for coming across the way I did. I have first hand experience with this as have many others. I will NEVER have another torque tab welded on to a skeg. Gearcases are too expensive to replace when the inevitable happens. There are those who believe if it's welded "right" it will not result in a crack. I DISAGREE WITH THAT. I believe some will last longer than others and there are many reasons for that. If you choose to get one welded on, keep a real close eye on it because at first, the crack will be extremely difficult to see even under magnification. Once the crack starts at all, it will eventually continue. If you are fortunate, you will catch it in time before a catastrophic event occurs. I wish you well, above all, stay safe.

suicidealli

I have seen a lot of welded on torq tabs, and I have seen a lot of them hair line crack right next to the weld. Use epoxy, and make it a touch big, and widdle on it til you are happy with it. Then prime her up, and move on. Glue, or epoxy doesnt seem to last with a torq tab. But worse case it falls off, or if you use epoxy to build it comes off. Your case is still fine, just do another one.. I got tired of gluing on torq tabs, and notched And rolled my one sporty 5 years ago, and it is great, BUT I have experience with aluminum. Also certified welder, etc, blah blah. but cast aluminum just sucks to move or weld..
Saying this I have also welded them on in a fashion where it lasted, and never cracked, but there is a risk period. If your going to weld it regardless, let someone that does cases do it. JC, Titus.

Roy

2003225X

So....the consensus is....this is rong? :very sad The way I got it.

Bob
:at the bar

Keep a real close eye on that one... That looks just like the two I saw that cracked. Tab was welded on and there is not much material left on the skeg under the bullet.

xb03

If I were to do another case, I would not weld on it JMO. But, I do currently have a welded tab on a sportmaster that "luckly" is still running strong after 12 years of being welded.