Test results from the Rally??? PCU and SVS?

S

Scott Gilmore

OK, the 89mph was all that I ran with the boat in STOCK Pro Max form on the lake the same day it was switched to the Brucato setup, the next day I ran the boat with the SVS/PCU it ran with ME (not Randy) about 94mph. Now let me add, those numbers are with no height adjustments or any prop changes ( 31 4 blade Spinelli was the prop used) . With that being said, this is a fairly new boat to me & I just can't seem to drive it ANY FASTER (yet). With the Brucato system added I noticed a huge difference with holeshot & midrange (even with the huge 31 on it) performance, it seemed to run more like a 260 than a 225, also around a 5mph gain on top end. To Red Allison, NO the prop wasn't a foot below the pad, it fact I asked Randy (Mr. GPI) if we should raise the engine any more & he told me it was the same height as when he owned the boat. Red Allison thanks a bunch for helping me @ the ramp !! To me these weren't the ideal testing conditions, a fairly new boat, LOTS of boats & wake not to mention later in the day TONS of beer. Many thanks to Tony Brucato & GPI (Randy, Jay & Pete) for making this a really FUN time !! Bottom line for me..............when it comes down to testing boats OR drinking beer, the BEER ALWAYS wins :twisted: !! Now maybe Tony & Randy can add some of their thoughts. Scott :D

RedAllison

"Later in the day?" Scott I don't think I saw you and your crew EVER put the beercoozis and martini glasses down! lmao :p

As for the driving part, if I knew you had that much problem drivin I woulda volunteered my shoes for a pass or two. You can drive a 2000 so that BR should be childsplay too you. Scott your boat is BEAUTIFUL and should make a realiable lakeracer like few others, but the fact is it should be runnin over 100 with regularity. The jackplate wasnt' moved, but what about the engine supposedly being moved up one notch on the plate?

I ask these questions in ALL sincerity, because the fact remains that a BassRacer with a 225SS should run over 100 with ease. I didn't look in any compartments, Scott was the hull loaded? The one negative too light A-boats running over 100 when empty, is they typically loose 10-15+ mph when another 150-200#s is loaded aboard. How many coolers of premixed drinks were sittin back there in the compartment that is supposed to be the livewell on standard 02s?

Enjoyed it,
RA

GPI Racing

I think everybody is missing the point on this deal. We could have raised the motor etc. That would not have made the test valid. Scott's boat runs just fine...he will get faster with more time, set up and trial and error. Why everbody is worried about going 100mph with it..I don't get. If that is your pleasure, they should have been at Panther Creek on Thurday. I was giving rides faster than anybody was going during the whole rally. That is not the point but you can see how irrelivant it is. The thread is "how much difference is the SVS and PCU". The difference is quite big to say the least. The "next" step would have been to dial the boat in. While that would have been great it wasn't in the cards for the rally. I thank Scott for his boat and time to let this test happen.

Randy

TonyB

Scott, Thanks for letting us use your boat for testing. I heard you offer to let anybody that wanted to, try and drive your boat faster.

Like Randy said though, This test wasn't about how fast we could make Scotts boat go. It was a test to see how much difference the SVS and PCU make.

YA, It was a pleasure meeting you. I didn't know what to expect. :shock:
What a bizzare coincidence that I've got your old boat!
Like I told you, You'll have to take it easy on me here cause we're almost related now :wink:

K

Kevin from FL

Almost ralated :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats to funny Tony :lol:

BassAlly3

I think the problem with the test is there are not many people with a 02/225 combo that runs 89 mph. Most will run 100+. So my ? would be can a person with a 100 mph 225 expect 5 mph? It seems that gains are made very easy when your boat is not running "at full potential". I would say most people on this site are getting "most" of what their particular rig will do. My 225 didn't pick up none with the SVS although I feel it is a little quicker.

TonyB

BassAlly3, I would rather make my power gains on a boat that's set-up right. They will respond to more power everytime.
The closer your rig is to terminal velocity though, the tougher it is for every MPH gain afterwards.

My 225 ProMax on my xb2003 will change a solid 3.5 MPH depending on the SVS being hooked up or not.

You say the SVS picked up none on your 225, but you feel it is quicker.
It has to be making more power to be quicker, so why isn't it any faster?
Give me a call, I can probably help you out.

Tony Brucato
919 718 0249

GPI Racing

BassAlly3,

So what your saying is that your "100"mph boat when loaded to run, lets say, 90...will not show any gain at all because it's heavy. In the rest of the world, if you gain at one end you'll gain in the other. I don't mean to snip at you but your comparison is irrelivant. A performance gain is a gain..end of story. Since I used to own Scott's boat and with my motor it could run in the teens. The 225 is the smallest motor the boat has ever had. Scott also has a tendency to "fly" the boat too high (a result of him being used to 2.5s and such. He wants it to feel like a 2.5 but doesn't have the HP to do it and trims it to get rpm) and that scrubs speed off this boat. I had no problem running 95 and with the SVS, J took himself and Scott for a 97 mph ride right past Kevin with the camera.

Before all this judging and such that occurs on these web forums, take the time to look at the BIG picture. The comparison was for your (Allison Owners) information and benefit. Believe me I had much better things to do and would have liked to lounge around while I was there. The prop comparisons and tests were there for you guys...I test everyday at my shop, to do it on my vacation is...work.

Also, Bassally3, you ran an SVS and saw no gain. I, myself, have seen the same thing happen. I have found that some tweeking is sometimes required and the PCU probably helped this rig run good. It is just one example that worked on that day. If you read my posts you will find that I have always said..if you put in the time, the speed will come. Give Scott's boat and this test some respect. On that day, it happened as recorded.

Randy

hack02

Hey Scott Gilmore; did they let you keep the new parts or make you give them back. I hope you got to keep them, a new PCU and Intake. It was good meeting you, see you at the bar. Hack.

ally2dextreme

why did you run that prop?

we all heard about the awesome tritons why didnt gpi run one on this boat

J

John Richied

I guess what I’ve learned is a 31 Spinelli 4 blade prop SUCKS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think we, as Allison Owners are very luck to have Tony and Randy doing tests on Allisons and supporting this site…

While I can’t tell you the exact gains I had on my XB-02/225 with the SVS I can tell you that the SVS with a worked ECU by Rapair (similar to the PCU) were kick arse in acceleration/top speed and the engine does think it's a 260.

although the testing seemed to be anything but straightforward and i wont get involved with that discussion(mainly cause i wasnt there).this 100 mph crap is throwed around pretty loosely for a 225.you aint just gonna bolt a 225 on and run an honest 100 in most cases(like 99%).bass racer or not.guys im here to tell you,there might be a couple mph or so on top end if you do your homework on a bass racer but MOSTLY your gonna gain acceleration with the bass racer.ive owned both.and i have ran over 110 in both,but guess which one ran 120.....you got it.the comp did.not the bass racer(as of yet anyway).food for thought anyways.......

S

Scott Gilmore

Jerry Ridenour said:
although the testing seemed to be anything but straightforward and i wont get involved with that discussion(mainly cause i wasnt there).this 100 mph crap is throwed around pretty loosely for a 225.you aint just gonna bolt a 225 on and run an honest 100 in most cases(like 99%).bass racer or not.guys im here to tell you,there might be a couple mph or so on top end if you do your homework on a bass racer but MOSTLY your gonna gain acceleration with the bass racer.ive owned both.and i have ran over 110 in both,but guess which one ran 120.....you got it.the comp did.not the bass racer(as of yet anyway).food for thought anyways.......
I do agree with the 100mph thing used ALOT & I know most of those aren't real 100mph. I've gotta say on the the 3 days I was on the Lakes @ rally I really don't think I saw even 1 out of all those Allisons running a true 100+ mph. I'm not saying there weren't any BUT I didn't see any :? !! Scott :D

GPI Racing

Jerry,,

A big A-Men and very well spoken.

Realise guys that if we started changing props we could mask the SVS/PCU test. Scott is running this prop because at the time he picked up his boat it was the biggest prop I had at the time...the only one that would hold it off the limiter at 6700. Not the best deal but the only one avalible at the time. Bottom line is the test proved a point and we had a gain..a very good gain.

I am here writing about stuff and tests etc. not to pound product down your throats but give you guys real world info. I have bought/run/tested so much garbage over the years I thought you guys might like some real world tests and data BEFORE you spend your hard earned cash. Tony was willing to put it on the line at my request. Lou and Kevin agreed to let me do it. Tony was the only one who had something to lose. If it didn't make an improvement you guys would have found out because I would have wrote about it here. He made a believer out of quite a few of us and his product works...he proved it, no smoke and lights it just worked. If it didn't he would have been in hot water and I give him credit to do it in front of everybody....shows his confidence in the product is justified.

Hope this adds some clarification,

Randy

fishnfireman

I understand where you are coming from.
not to long ago there were some posts about what to expect from a Xb2003T 225PMax. With 2 on board and a "tournament load"
90 plus was thrown around a lot!!!!
Yes 90 is not out of the question. But real world you might better shoot for 85 first.

BassAlly3

Randy, I have never "loaded" my boat to run say 90mph. I load my boat to go fishing. I will tell you I'm no "EXPERT" but I don't hardly ever pick up on both ends when making a change. More setback= more top end and worse holeshot, less setback better holeshot, but slower topend. same with engine height. Know I probrably have the biggest piece of chit boat you ever saw, but that is how it seems to work. The mods you were doing are not to make Scotts boat RIDE better or be more fuel efficient, they were to make it "HAUL ARSE". You and your "TEAM" have a lot more exp. than I do so I just asked if I could expect the same results. If so I have a lot of work to do because I didn't! I said I feel like it has a better holeshot but have never ran it through any time clocks to see. I'm not sure if a gps is a "true" measure of speed but we all have them. No you can't "just bolt on a 225" and run a 100, but I assumed you knew that boat very well and would have it set up to run. I don't have the fastest 225 by a long shot and never claimed to either. But what I do have is a lot of "BONES" in a SVS

J

John Richied

BassAlly3, I’m no expert but I’d be more then happy to help you with your XB-2002/225.

I can run the triple digits solo in my rig and just last week I took my son to 98.9 mph.

What modifications do you have done to your 225 ProMax, gearcase, setback, prop, and what hull and is it a side steer or center steer?
You can E-mail me at JohnR225@aol.com or start another thread however you would like.

Lets get your machine FLYIN! :p

GPI Racing

Bassally3,

I never meant to pick you out but I do see why you question the result we got. I talked with Tony today and he is quite curious on your experience. There are some things for you to check out and he would like to run thru them with you. The fact you "felt" some acceleration but no top end leads us to believe you may have a stator glitch. He has had the same thing happen and thru some new software found the stator weak above 6500 (or something like that). Give him a shout as it do nobody good to have something that costs a bunch and didn't give you what you were hoping for in a result. You have nothing to lose so here is me prodding you to call him :eek: Hope it works out for you and if there anything I can ever do to help just say the word.

Randy

TonyB

Bassally3,
Please give me a call tomorrow if you like. Your missing speed might be something simple.

My shop is about 100 miles away from you. If you get desperate, you can drag your boat here.
I've had other customers go home with a few hundred extra RPM from simple troubleshooting.

What model boat do you have?

Tony Brucato