SPYCAM shots of new GPI manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Richied

Scott, you say some much with so little meaning, come on. Even Jay was bright enough to see I have this intake on my first engine…. It’s on my avatar. I understand you being upset with me, but you should take that up with someone else and ask him why.

Jay, what I can tell you is I could turn the key and she would fire up and purr like a kitten. The low end and midrange felt very strong. I didn’t get a chance to make many high-speed runs but just past 8000-8500 Rpm’s the motor stopped pulling as hard even with a smaller pitched prop and it almost felt like it had a miss. If this had to do with the plate or PCU setting I have no idea.

I believe the only way from my experience and others to run this style intake is with a PCU where you can dial it in.

I know a few guys have this intake and was just curious…

J

John Richied

LOL… Cliff you and Scott are obviously bitter because of my post about GPI. Well everything posted is a fact and I don’t see you posting many or any facts disputing mine. Heck I even said I liked the O-ring heads ( I own two sets now) he has machined so you don't have to use head gaskets. Do either of you know or own what I am referring to? If you do maybe you happen to know who does the work. As I said in my very first post it is VERY NICE!

You keep calling me names and saying this and that but it will have no affect on the fact that Randy flat out lied and misrepresented what he sold many others and me.

If you want to go defend him head on over to the Scream & Fly post where there is a audience that would just love to hear how happy you both are.

whipper

John I have never met you or any of these guys for that matter. I have read most of the post on this board and and some more than others I value the information youal provide. You have provided me with many valuable tips and sugestions from my driveing to my set up. I read what happen and see the same people slammen ya now and then about that experiance from what I can tell because everything is rosey in there corner or are friends with the fella who ya delt with? I can tell your pissed as to what happen and who wouldnt be. I dont feel that sly remarks are warented by these guys nor to speculate the reasons why your motor calfed. As some one said stirring the pot, well they should look at the motives of there post also. I dont like it when somthing bad happens to some one and the wolfs try to make ya feel worse. Just letting ya know to me its undersatandable why you posted what you did about your experiance. And from what I can tell its helped make the awarness of dealing with people ya never met with more caution. James Whipper Billy Watson.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
My 280 block with 260 electronics and the intake plate runs OK, but has a few issues or gremlins or whatever you want to call them. Let me preface this by saying I don't know if any of these problems are intake-plate related, but having had several "horn" motors of 260 and 280 model, this is what I am seeing in comparison.

This motor has 172 lbs of compression in each cylinder. I splash TT111 race fuel with 91 California premium.

I am currently using a stock Merc A49 chip ECU, and I would tend to agree with some who say this thing cannot be made to run right without a PCU.

It starts when cold just fine. After warming the idle quality is lousy and if you just give it a little pedal, it gets worse and acts sort of like it's running on 3 cylinders--"lumpety lumpety" etc.

When you stab it, even with a low pitch prop, it hesitates for a moment like an over-rich condition but then takes off like a scalded cat.

Here's the weird part, when you get to just over 4,000 rpm (I should mention that this is true with any size prop) the thing takes off like you hit the TURBO button and it's like a massive powerband. I should add, I have found it impossible to hold the throttle steady at 4,000 rpm. It wants to either GO--or no go. Like the torque approaches this cliff and once you're in it, it pulls hard.

Then again, when you hit 5200-5500 it's like ANOTHER powerband kicks in again and it pulls hard to 7500--that's where the A49 begins to limit--and the tach needle starts to flutter and float around there.

The worst thing I can say about the plate (if that is what is causing this) is that the motor starts like HELL when warm. This has put me in a few bad situations, i.e. floating towards rip rap in a stiff delta breeze, or trying to start again after dropping off a skier, etc. It seems to act as if it's flooding when it sits warm; maybe fuel is pooling behind it, I don't know. I don't think it's an enrichment problem (as in the cold start enrichment staying active) because you can "trick" the motor into enrichment by pushing in the key when running and it bogs.

Honestly I am tempted to pull the thing off and put the injectors back in the crankcase, but I'm going to experiment still for awhile. I have talked to many that hate forward-injected reeds, and several who swear by it. Maybe eventually I will put one of my PCU's on it and try it with a standard Brucato 260 curve. This has been reported to work well.

I'll keep you all apprised of the results; as it is now the Grandsport is grounded with the transom mod and it's in the shop for some gelcoat repairs. Unfortunate disagreement with some under-dock cleat studs at a delta restaurant. :cry:

whipper

2fast I had a honda CR480 that acted just like that! Rip snorten want ta go fast or go home kinda motor. brap brap barp. The power band was your in it or your in it.

jbf 2002

John-pink,

I have heard that on too, I feel the sum of the parts are there to be able to have a great running powerhead. I feel that this requires the use of Tony's box (PCU) and some time to make it work.

When this was being devloped the proto's were not exactly the same as the finished product. The main problem the owner's are having is the fuel curve for the Brucato PCU was not completly figured out before the product was shipped. this is not ment as a slam, but it needs it's own curve to be installed in the PCU. so if you are following me the fuel curve that worked well in the different early proto's did not work well in the final product. It's very hard to test on the water here in Minnesota in Janurary.

In my opinion this product was rushed to the delivery state a little to fast and more testing and devlopment of a custom curve would have had some serious changes in the use of the plate and changed the tone of the comments.

In closing I don't think that the big end performance gains were the issue, or main selling point, I think that the idle quality and lowend performance were the great benifactors in this product. More for lake boat use than drag-strip use I guess, the old saying of "hind sight is always 20/20" seems to fit here.

I don't think the end result will be as good as it could be with out the aid of the (PCU). as we all know comparing to a stock ecu is like a pong game to playstation2. time will tell I guess

j.f.

badbait

I agree with the above post by jf. I am very satisfied with the motor that Randy built me but the fuel curve needed to be modified. Since I ordered it with the steam wheel I was able to sort it out. The fuel curve it came with may work back in MN. but it needs tweeking out here in Calif. The HP is defininetely there though.

propmanjay

Smacktalk

My name is Jay, and I have only had my SS since november 05. After I got the boat I received a call from Lou offering help with my set up and telling me about this sight. I was blown away by the response !!! Bill Smith had offered his help, in short it really felt good. I felt and still do feel that I joined into a family. If I need help I know all I have to do is come onto this sight and ask and people are willing to share what they know or have experienced. It has really brought me down hearing all of this bad mouthing. If it is presented as fact, the problem's that our fellow "A" boat members have had then I think it is our obligation to share it. Scott and flat out, all that I have heard from you both is smack. Please if you have some kind of problem with John then show a little respect for the board and Kevin and vent it on a PM. I know John, and I appreciate his honesty. John was thrilled about his new GPI 280 and told everyone he knew about it. It was right to share what he did on this sight. And like in all situations there were people who had things to share both good and bad about GPI. Lets let the facts speak for them self's and show the support for each other that we all should. :)

S

Scott Gilmore

Re: Smacktalk

propmanjay said:
My name is Jay, and I have only had my SS since november 05. After I got the boat I received a call from Lou offering help with my set up and telling me about this sight. I was blown away by the response !!! Bill Smith had offered his help, in short it really felt good. I felt and still do feel that I joined into a family. If I need help I know all I have to do is come onto this sight and ask and people are willing to share what they know or have experienced. It has really brought me down hearing all of this bad mouthing. If it is presented as fact, the problem's that our fellow "A" boat members have had then I think it is our obligation to share it. Scott and flat out, all that I have heard from you both is smack. Please if you have some kind of problem with John then show a little respect for the board and Kevin and vent it on a PM. I know John, and I appreciate his honesty. John was thrilled about his new GPI 280 and told everyone he knew about it. It was right to share what he did on this sight. And like in all situations there were people who had things to share both good and bad about GPI. Lets let the facts speak for them self's and show the support for each other that we all should. :)
Propmanjay, I understand your post & what you're trying to say. However unless you know the WHOLE story (believe me you don't) you might not want to accuse me of talking "smack" anymore than a WHOLE LOT of other people on this board !! I'm sure as hell not the only one doing the "bad mouthing" around here, maybe you need to re-read some of the "smack" that's been laid down here for about the last year & I think you'll find I'm only a small part of it.
I'm glad you like your Super Sport, I've owned quite a few myself & love them also. I hope someday everyone here get along also !! Scott :)

FlatOutAlly

propmanjay said:
....Scott and flat out, all that I have heard from you both is smack.....
Not quite. Scott voices his exact experiences with Randy explicitly. I've seen it in all his posts. I choose not to. Not because my experiences are better, worse, or whatever. I Just Choose NOT TO. I would rather not be viewed as an internet vigilante. When things don't go the way I dreamed, I don't just go postal on the internet and look for a bunch of people to feel sorry for me and maybe join my posse. I HANDLE IT WITH THE GUY I WROTE THE CHECK TO. Maybe it's different in the Pacific Northwest, but that's how it is everywhere I've ever lived.

J

John Richied

FlatOutAlly said:
propmanjay said:
....Scott and flat out, all that I have heard from you both is smack.....
Not quite. Scott voices his exact experiences with Randy explicitly. I've seen it in all his posts. I choose not to. Not because my experiences are better, worse, or whatever. I Just Choose NOT TO. I would rather not be viewed as an internet vigilante. When things don't go the way I dreamed, I don't just go postal on the internet and look for a bunch of people to feel sorry for me and maybe join my posse. I HANDLE IT WITH THE GUY I WROTE THE CHECK TO. Maybe it's different in the Pacific Northwest, but that's how it is everywhere I've ever lived.
Keep it up Cliff... Your true colors are shining brightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.