SPYCAM shots of new GPI manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Here it is guys...the latest from Randy & crew...wet reed injection for the 2.5's:

GPI Racing

Those are pictures of the first piece being checked for fit. The finished item will be red anodized along with the crankcase block off plates. Better lowend and midrange due to the fuel/air being drawn in at the precise time it's needed, not 2 cylinders at a time like they do stock. Punch you can feel in the seat not just on a watch. I own every intake ever built for a 2.5 (and some other odd trial and error types). I originally built the proto to this intake for myself. The 2 piece proto worked so well I decided to try to build a one piece. Thanks to Chris (my "engineer" on this project) telling me what we could and couldn't do as far as machining etc, it really turned out better than I had hoped for. (he also drew up the whole thing and made the prints) It is designed to fit ANY 7 petal merc manifold. This includes 2.4s, carb engines, 2.5s, drags, and 280s. There are some trick mounting holes to allow it to bolt up to any front half with the 7 petal reed. We wanted to be able to convert a 2.5 carb or a 225 ProMax over to the airhorn front without much trouble. It makes a 225ProMax think it's MUCH bigger than it is. (John S. here your chance to "upgrade" your 200XS) Now that it's out of the bag can you guys guess who will have one on their engine?

Randy

John S

That is extremely cool! I fer sure will be calling ya. Do they come in yellow? 8) Its been killing me that I didnt get enough time on my new toy this fall , and just about as I forgot, you come up with this!!!! I gotta go sleep in my boat now, and get a case of aerosol paint tomorrow, so I can get this damn ice off the lake sooner! :D

congrats-John S

jimmyb

what are you doing to adjust fueling on a 280? or control fueling on a converted 225 promax?

brucato PCU?

also, i bet you dont own EVERY intake ever made for a 2.5... ;)

GPI Racing

Jimmy,

The 280 needs no other fuel curve adjustments. The promax can run a mercury 11350 or 849849 box (I like the A49 or A48 curve best) or a PCU. I have a couple promax's up and running and they act like max's on steroids. The 280 just runs better that's all that happens. More punch and better manners. I believe the fuel delivery volume is more precise and not so "average" because the reeds time the intake charge.

Randy

Casey

I LIKE IT !

This is awesome ! I guess I should wait on the 32 pitch props for now since I guess this will get rid of my rev limiter on my 225X. This will basically change my promax into a horn motor ? Seems liike the best of both worlds. A steel sleeve motor with horn. I would not expect it to run like a 280 but at least there would be no rev limit and some more power to boot.

D

DarthVMAX

WAY COOL!!! I hope it does work for the X motors and the 200xs....that should be a BIG seller if it does. 8)

Casey

I am sure it does if he said 200xs. It replaces the whole intake and new electronics. No more smarty craft. Back to regular gauges. I guess premix gas also.

white03

with a 225 pro max??

Randy,

I have a '97 225 PM with a Brucado SVS. Looks like adding your piece will in essence serve a a spacer plate...right???

Given that the SVS already provides me additional low and mid range punch...will I still see a noticeable difference if I add your piece as well??

Thanx Randy!!

Bill

GPI Racing

For those interested, the target price we are shooting for is $750 for the complete kit. There is quite a bit of hardware and we will be anodizing it for a better look.

As for the promax's the 225s need just an new ecu and airhorn for it to work. The 225x will need to convert the ignition and such for everything to funtion. I'm working all that out now and will have the pieces we need to make it work shortly.

Randy

RB in NM

Randy,
I've often thought (dangerous I kno'),, that the way the 2.5 injectors are injecting from one side of the mainfold, there may be a lean(er) conditon on the Cylinders on the same side as the injectors are on .

Seems the fuel would be atomized better on the far side of the injection path, versus nearer the injector nozzle... especially on a dry reed motor.
I would think the pro max injector location would offer better atomization than the side injection as on 260-280-300's..

Any sense to this madness?

Any thought of a dual injection setup for both sides of the manifold, or does the 39 and 56psi regulatation fuel systems git er done good enouff?

Russ

Yellowallison

HEY BEERNUTZ!! I see YU and WAYNE TayLOR been playING on the hiz CMC!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GPI Racing

Bill,

As of now the only SVS that will fit on the front of our manifold would be the race engine model. The promax SVS bolts to the reed manifold on the 225. Our intake replaces this entirely to accept an airhorn. Since you've already made the investment in the SVS there wouldn't be much to gain by switching over to ours.

Russ,

The injectors spray a pretty wide pattern and the reeds break it up. The side vs side you decribe would be very important on a piston port engine ( somewhat like the OMC fastrike 150) but on a crankcase feed engine it is less of an issue. There is something to be said the way the original Merc injector are, as far as location. What you'll find is the fuel curve is far from perfect, and therefore kept on the fat side. It's why when you get anywhere near the "edge" it usually fails a piston. The new Opti motors get away from this by precisely injecting an atomised charge at the perfect time. From the other end of the engine though. By putting injectors in front of the reeds and letting them be a better injection timing device we should see less random burn downs.

Randy

Yellowallison

Wayne hasn't seen this piece yet.

COOL!!!!!!

I was just ThnkIN maybe YUz and WAYNE might have been WorKin on this cause I know how Much he LIKES injectors in FRONT of the REEDS!

RANDY!!!! will yu be doing a DYNO and WATCH test to compare... like comapre it to HORN and SVS ... ??

KEEP US updated!!

Chummy

Can't wait for mine to get here, then I'm going to put a red stripe down the side of a yellar boat! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.