Some pics of John Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr out runnin!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Thanks, Bob! I've got 10 holes in the bass mid just above the anti-cavitation plate (from the factory), but I also have two blocked-off vents just below the lower cowl.... I've thought more than once that maybe the mid could be opened up at those two points..... would definitely improve the sound idling around..... maybe to the point of sounding as cool as Billys' Merc (YouTube - "Fast Allison").

Richard

J

John Richied

Thanks John for the info! I thought that the short-shaft model weighed 375, and the long-shaft model (the 20 incher) weighed 400..... but maybe I am wrong..... I have an '05 model with the bass mid (in storage in my garage - not on an Allison yet), and I will have to run the trim pump from the hull as well...

Richard
I don

Last edited by a moderator:

Alli-drenaline Rush

John,

Here's what I have - the 2005 2.5 EFI Sport......

It has (as I understand it) the bass mid... also as I understand it the offshore mid and the SS mid have the extended "snout" over the aft end of the anti-cavitation plate.....

BTW - I am planning to put the RH gearcase on the boat - I just had to take a LH model because that was all they had left in inventory when I went to buy.....

From the 2004 Mercury brochure.....

2.5 EFI Sport 397 lbs (recommended transom height - 20")
2.5 EFI SS 401 lbs (rth - 15")
2.5 EFI Offshore 412 lbs (rth - 20")

So you can see the (acceptable) weight penalty for the beefier SS and ROS mids......

Again thanks John and Bob for the information and conversation....

Richard

Alli-drenaline Rush

Also good learnings about the epoxy / noseconed gearcases and the desirability of sticking with the SM gearcases..... the LH gearcase is for sale on S&F; I am thinking of offering just the gearcase body for sale, buying a RH gearcase body and switching the guts and necessary gears to convert it to a RH unit as well - just to give me a backup like you have.......

Bobalouie

That is definitely a bass mid, and I did not know the factory pre drilled holes above the anti vent plate. I thought they were closed off and vented all thru the prop, hence the need for racers to have the offshore (snout type) to relieve the exhaust before it got to the prop.

I am also not sure what you are talking about with the screened off ports below the lower cowl. It sounds like you are talking about the idle relief ports, but they shouldnt be blocked off.

I am going to get you some pics of mine when my camera gets a little charge on it.

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Bob, On my motor the idle relief ports are blocked off and the vents above the anti-cav plate are open.....

I have no clue as to why the idle relief ports are blocked off..... except maybe to ensure ventilation of all "noise" and exhaust underwater at idle...... ????

Bobalouie

Your idle reliefs look open to me, are they blocked off on the inside? They are certainly not very dirty, but I dont think you have many hours on your engine (or maybe you are more anal about cleaning than I am LOL). I have the same midsection as you, and my engine sounds MEAN at the ramp. It turns heads just idling.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Bob,

The engine is still new-in-the-box.... never run (waiting on kids to get out of college to get an Allison to put it on), so that's why it looks so clean!!!!!! :very happy

And the idle relief ports are definitely blocked off!

I am glad to read your post.... one of my goals was to get a mean-sounding motor, and from reading your post, it seems like I have achieved that goal ....

Richard