Race Fuel sticker shock

fnshrmaster

You guys got me dreaming hard now!! Still 36 inches of ice on the lakes and the women all are still wearing long warm coats!!:big grin In not sure I would know what to do in 70-100 deg weather and year round boating. I may have a mental break up or down. Either way it might be better.
Our ice is gone but I'm still gettin the hell out of here ASAP. When the kids are done with school I'm Tennessee bound, I'm sure they have water main and poop plants that need an operator.

Dave Hensley

20,000 bpd is pretty small. Will help the locals, that's about it.
Anything is better than nothing. I know our economy has recovered since 2008 but it doesn't feel much better to me. Until our industrial base recovers I think we are still in trouble. I hate to say it, and it may all be smoke and mirrors, but the WalMart push to create jobs by selling more Made in USA products will work if we demand that supply. I would personally prefer to pay a little more for goods and services than to be taxed to death. When you have a lot of birthdays you see things cycle. My first clue that we were headed for disaster was when the textile industry left the south. Those jobs provided disposable income to many. Then it was electronics, machine tools, cars, and then it seems that it was all gone. Maybe that is why these boats have such an appeal.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Anything is better than nothing. I know our economy has recovered since 2008 but it doesn't feel much better to me. Until our industrial base recovers I think we are still in trouble. I hate to say it, and it may all be smoke and mirrors, but the WalMart push to create jobs by selling more Made in USA products will work if we demand that supply. I would personally prefer to pay a little more for goods and services than to be taxed to death. When you have a lot of birthdays you see things cycle. My first clue that we were headed for disaster was when the textile industry left the south. Those jobs provided disposable income to many. Then it was electronics, machine tools, cars, and then it seems that it was all gone. Maybe that is why these boats have such an appeal.
Back in the late '70s a bumper sticker gained limited popularity.... admonishing people to "Buy American - the job you save might be your own." I'm as guilty as anyone of not heeding that advice, but 30 years later the chickens have come home to roost.....

Dave Hensley

Never too late to start. Look hard at the items you buy at Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply. I go to the Co-op, Ace Hardware etc and dig until I find those words, " Made in the USA" gotta love that. Diamond Gusset blue jeans are a good option. Don't assume where things are made. Look hard.

Jr in Jax

My Division's Parent company is building new refineries all over the world right now but is only doing one refinery expansion for Marathon in Louisiana, no new refineries in the US.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Never too late to start. Look hard at the items you buy at Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply. I go to the Co-op, Ace Hardware etc and dig until I find those words, " Made in the USA" gotta love that. Diamond Gusset blue jeans are a good option. Don't assume where things are made. Look hard.
Been buying American for a good while, including supporting the good folks in Fond du Lac :)

racerx

Not much we can do about buying American its mostly assembled hear if any you would think someone who built a TV hear and sold it to compete with the japs would be king..I used to get a laugh about the Harley riders telling me they were American made and they would not buy jap stuff and I would just ask them do you watch TV...

Alli-drenaline Rush

It doesn't feel much better because its not better.... And it won't get better as long as Hopenchange is occupying the White House and Congress is a den of thieves and a sorry bunch of dishonorable bastids.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168707/average-retirement-age-rises.aspx

Dave Hensley

Not much we can do about buying American its mostly assembled hear if any you would think someone who built a TV hear and sold it to compete with the japs would be king..I used to get a laugh about the Harley riders telling me they were American made and they would not buy jap stuff and I would just ask them do you watch TV...
East Tennessee used to be home to 5-6 Magnavox plants, so many Levi Strauss factories it was hard to count them, Philco, Bike athletic and hundreds of factories that employed people and made things. No more. We have McDonalds and Burger Kings. Oops, we did get a VW plant....would rather have a Chevrolet or Ford but it is a start. More exports, less imports and get the energy issue solved and my grandson will have a chance at a decent lifestyle.

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

East Tennessee used to be home to 5-6 Magnavox plants, so many Levi Strauss factories it was hard to count them, Philco, Bike athletic and hundreds of factories that employed people and made things. No more. We have McDonalds and Burger Kings. Oops, we did get a VW plant....would rather have a Chevrolet or Ford but it is a start. More exports, less imports and get the energy issue solved and my grandson will have a chance at a decent lifestyle.
Another start would be an educated populace. No man is free who is shackled by the soft tyranny of a corrupt and self-serving government. But then Tennessee has a rich history of resistance to oppressive government. I'm reminded every time I sip a little pie :)

Dave Hensley

It might sound like a conspiracy theory but the decline of our educational system has produced that uneducated populace. Much easier to dupe and seduce with hand outs in exchange for votes. The gap between the haves and have nots widens and we look more like the monarchy our forefathers sailed from. The middle class is more difficult
to manage for politicians and harder to slick tax increases by and still get their vote.

GotMyAlly

It doesn't feel much better because its not better.... And it won't get better as long as Hopenchange is occupying the White House and Congress is a den of thieves and a sorry bunch of dishonorable bastids.
I'm not sure if a house cleaning would do any good. Even with 100% turnover in the house, senate, and white house........I think there's enough con-artists lined up to take office that the next batch would be as bad as the current. As the old saying goes, the ones who most want to lead are the least qualified to do so.

Bobalouie

Everyone keeps spouting that our educational system is bad or in decline. Thats a farse, simply not true. I have a foriegn born wife who did her entire education in a country not considered "western". She is going to TU now (another reason I am trying to sell the A-bote) and finds it much better than her university at home.

I myself have spent time in a non US, but still "western" university, and I can tell you it was a joke compared to the university I attended in the US. In fact, one of my friends that I met over there came back to the US to attend my home university and dropped out and went back home. He said it was way too difficult.

I went to public school my entire scholastic career, Elementary, Middle, High and University. Nothing private, and I am not gods gift to intelligent folk, but I get by just fine in life.

In my humble opinion, the entitlement mentality drives poor work ethic in school, which is why we get more dumb arses nowadays than we used to. Everyone thinks they are entitled to get an A if they put in the work, but that simply isnt true. You have to put in the extra work to ENSURE the A on the assignment, not the minimum amount.

Participation medals and all that crap are just that, crap. They do nothing to cultivate drive and motivation.

Are there some places that are better than us at an earlier age than we are in things like math and science? I am positive that there are, but we catch up very quickly and actually surpass them in university. But, if that is something we want to compete with the rest of the world, all we have to do is teach it earlier. If a 10 yr old in China can do Calculus or whatever, then surely we can teach it to 10yr olds here, but we dont. Why is that? That is the question. Is it because Americans are unable to learn those subjects at that age, or is it because we coddle our children a little to much and dont let them struggle enough? I dont know the answer.

Or, maybe I am wrong and our schools are crap, I have been wrong before, but I have a much broader view than most people of what schools are like elsewhere, and our schools being poor as compared to the rest of the world has not been my experience.

Dave Hensley

Everyone keeps spouting that our educational system is bad or in decline. Thats a farse, simply not true. I have a foriegn born wife who did her entire education in a country not considered "western". She is going to TU now (another reason I am trying to sell the A-bote) and finds it much better than her university at home.

I myself have spent time in a non US, but still "western" university, and I can tell you it was a joke compared to the university I attended in the US. In fact, one of my friends that I met over there came back to the US to attend my home university and dropped out and went back home. He said it was way too difficult.

I went to public school my entire scholastic career, Elementary, Middle, High and University. Nothing private, and I am not gods gift to intelligent folk, but I get by just fine in life.

In my humble opinion, the entitlement mentality drives poor work ethic in school, which is why we get more dumb arses nowadays than we used to. Everyone thinks they are entitled to get an A if they put in the work, but that simply isnt true. You have to put in the extra work to ENSURE the A on the assignment, not the minimum amount.

Participation medals and all that crap are just that, crap. They do nothing to cultivate drive and motivation.

Are there some places that are better than us at an earlier age than we are in things like math and science? I am positive that there are, but we catch up very quickly and actually surpass them in university. But, if that is something we want to compete with the rest of the world, all we have to do is teach it earlier. If a 10 yr old in China can do Calculus or whatever, then surely we can teach it to 10yr olds here, but we dont. Why is that? That is the question. Is it because Americans are unable to learn those subjects at that age, or is it because we coddle our children a little to much and dont let them struggle enough? I dont know the answer.

Or, maybe I am wrong and our schools are crap, I have been wrong before, but I have a much broader view than most people of what schools are like elsewhere, and our schools being poor as compared to the rest of the world has not been my experience.
Bob you have just described why the public school systems have deteriorated. I won't blame it all on the Teacher's Union but they own their part. Society owns a piece of it because it isn't cool any more to have winners and losers. Last but not least parents have long since regarded schools as day care and don't invest in their child.

randybob

Just over $8 a gal 91 octane hear today. You guys in the states pay less taxes on your income,can right off the interest on your house and pay half what we do for gas. So I would be thankful because we are slowly getting poorer every year because of the {world} economy. Thats why the #2 in GDP industry in Canada might surprise some people. Its even bigger than oil....Its drugs. no one can make it without being a criminal these days I guess? :big grin http://www.canada.com/cowichanvalleycitizen/news/story.html?id=5d954570-829d-4820-9c8a-67d7deb77478

Dave Im in for the boot leg thing. It worked before in times like these it will work again. Ill get some Canadian Whisky shipped down and lets roll like the politicians do. haha
i have the equiptment we can start today need a job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:at the bar

Attachments

Alli-drenaline Rush

What gets my goat more than the price of race fuel is the outrageous behavior of our elected officials, whether its the IRS spending $800,000 for a junket in Vegas, or King Obama spending $2.9 million on two golf outings in 2014 (or spending $300k just to fly AF1 around the Statue of Liberty for photos for his scrapbook). Where's the outrage, when it takes 107 Americans on the cusp of top 10% wage-earner status working and paying taxes all year just so that Obama can take two golf outing in 2014? Or Michelle Obama costing the American taxpayer $222,000 for a one-night stay in a luxury Chinese hotel?

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-biden-vacation-tab-reaches-40m-2.9m-alone-for-two-obama-2014-golf-outings/article/2547892