Prop Recommendations Tournament Load for XB-21 2+2

mmalinao

Hey guys,

Need a prop recommendation for an XB-21 2+2 with a 250 Pro XS with 1.62 gears. I mainly tournament fish fully loaded with a partner and need a good hole shot and easy driving if possible. I don't need to hit 90mph any time soon either.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

GotMyAlly

27" or 28" X-OB, depending on how heavy you run and how much you value holeshot vs top end.

27" will run right at 90 and turn a few more RPMs, giving you a stronger holeshot. 28" will run low 90s and still gets out of the hole fine - just not quite as quick as the 27" obviously.

mmalinao

X-OB is Hyrdomotive right? I really value hole shot as I run and gun all tournament long. I fish water that allows me to open her up (Clearlake, Lake Berryessa, and CA Delta), but I don't see myself at least in the next couple of years needing to hit 90 though. I'd rather get something that is easy to drive, has a great hole shot, and can carry a full tournament load, full livewells, full tank, and 2 guys.

Thanks again,

Mike

GotMyAlly

X-OB is Hyrdomotive right? I really value hole shot as I run and gun all tournament long. I fish water that allows me to open her up (Clearlake, Lake Berryessa, and CA Delta), but I don't see myself at least in the next couple of years needing to hit 90 though. I'd rather get something that is easy to drive, has a great hole shot, and can carry a full tournament load, full livewells, full tank, and 2 guys.

Thanks again,

Mike
Yep, it's a Hydromotive. Based on what you just said, I'd go with a 27".

mmalinao

Holy crap, that prop is $855 + tax/shipping. OK assume I would upgrade to that prop down the road, what is your 2nd recommendation? LOL

GotMyAlly

:LMAO:
Buy once, cry once.

Before I started running hydromotives, I tried a lot of different props. Spent a lot of money buying used props that didn't work out, and even more buying mass produced props and then spending more on top of that to have someone work them (sometimes only to have them ruined by a shadetree prop beater).

I'm convinced it's cheaper in the long run to go with a quality prop up front from someone that can tailor it to your rig and specific needs/wants. And I'd rather have one really really good prop than a garage full of ebay specials. :deadhorse:

Plus if you're just learning to drive an Ally, the wrong prop is going to make your learning curve a lot more difficult.

mmalinao

:LMAO:
Buy once, cry once.

Before I started running hydromotives, I tried a lot of different props. Spent a lot of money buying used props that didn't work out, and even more buying mass produced props and then spending more on top of that to have someone work them (sometimes only to have them ruined by a shadetree prop beater).

I'm convinced it's cheaper in the long run to go with a quality prop up front from someone that can tailor it to your rig and specific needs/wants. And I'd rather have one really really good prop than a garage full of ebay specials. :deadhorse:

Plus if you're just learning to drive an Ally, the wrong prop is going to make your learning curve a lot more difficult.

Damn, you make a good point! the 27P is for sure the right one one though? There is a guy offering me a 25P hydro on the BBC forum for $500 but is seemed like it was not enough coming from a 27P.

GotMyAlly

25" will not be enough.....well, you'd have break-neck holeshot but it would be all over the rev limiter real quick.

I run a 27" and 28" as mentioned above. I've got a prosport so my boat may be a tad lighter than your, but close. I run the 27" when I'm striper fishing, which means 3 people in the boat and half a dozen 10-15 lb fish in the livewell. I run the 28" for everything else, fishing solo or with a partner. Since you seem more concerned with holeshot than top end, I'd lean towards the 27". But call Todd and tell him what you're looking for and he can make his recommendation before you buy.

xb03fs

Yup. The
25" will not be enough.....well, you'd have break-neck holeshot but it would be all over the rev limiter real quick.

I run a 27" and 28" as mentioned above. I've got a prosport so my boat may be a tad lighter than your, but close. I run the 27" when I'm striper fishing, which means 3 people in the boat and half a dozen 10-15 lb fish in the livewell. I run the 28" for everything else, fishing solo or with a partner. Since you seem more concerned with holeshot than top end, I'd lean towards the 27". But call Todd and tell him what you're looking for and he can make his recommendation before you buy.
yup. I agree. Eventually he will need a 27. The dual powerpoles will hurt him weight and holeshot as well. The 25 runs right at 80 with my 1.75 gears on the limiter so it should run 85 on his limiter with 1.62 gears. In the end i told him once he learns to drive he will want more than 85.