Pro Max vs Hydromotive

TMc

I'm wanting a good cruising prop for my XR 2002 in 28 pitch . I need a fair amount of bow lift and I want a 4 blade to be easier on the gear case what is yall's recommendations.

Thanks, Tim

Allyfishing

I know nothing about XR2002's but from my own personal experience and reading all I have on the A boats in the 20' class there is not another prop besides the Hydromotive that truely owns an Allison hull!!

LakeAnna

I'm wanting a good cruising prop for my XR 2002 in 28 pitch . I need a fair amount of bow lift and I want a 4 blade to be easier on the gear case what is yall's recommendations.

Thanks, Tim
Is that a 160 inch crossflow on your XR????:very happy

ImbadBob

Just 2 cents worth, any XR is going to need a custom prop built and worked. Hydromotive is a good bet. I like their work and also Hoss. That is just me. Joe built a 24 pitch that I love. A XR is a different beast, spend an extra dollar with a prop building artist. Not money with a prop built for a cookie cutter boat. Once again only my 2 cents.
Bob

LakeAnna

A Triton will work and I used to have a 29 srx worked for mine with the Johnrude.

TMc

LakeAnna that's a 2.7 looper.

I've tried a Triton not enough bow lift.
I got a 27 rx that runs pretty good I wished some body made it in a 4 blade.
I been running a Spinelli 27 drag4 it's got good punch but after about 65 mph you can' t drive it . It starts chine walking and I can't drive it out.
I got a 24 ET that drives good and is good for 800' but I'm looking for a 4 blade that will get decent fuel mileage and tote the boat with two people and not be so hard to drive at 70 to 80 mph. I may be asking to much.

LakeAnna

The Drag 4 that Tim Hackney does runs pretty damn good if you get it worked. Maybe try one of them and see. Can't believe the hoss didn't carry the xr.... was it worked at all. Might want to try another if you can get your hands on one.

What kind of rpm you spinning the looper?

TMc

Got the Hoss form a guy that was running it on a XB2002.
Turning the looper close to 9100 in 800' with the 24 ET.

2Fast2Pass

Any thing above 4500 or so and the boat is on the pad and cruising effortlessly. Around 5500 is definitely a sweet spot and that's in the low to mid 70mph range. With a 1.87

Last edited:

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am suprised the 27 Spinelli DR 4 doesn't run good. They are amongst the easiest to drive and best handling props we have ran on my XB02 and my son's 03 which I realize are both heavier than your boat.

TBuck2003

Thanks, Tim

Tim,
This is Todd from Hydromotive. I also have a 1984 XR2002. Call me anytime to discuss options. BTW love me some OMC !!!!!

TMc

SSV the Spinelli runs good and carry's the boat really good at lower speed 30 to 50 has good punch but after about 65 it starts chine walking and I cant drive it out. This prop was worked by Steve Smith for my buddy's STV that might part of the problem.
The best driving prop I've had on her is my buddy's 4 blade Signature Yamaha style prop but it is a 26 pitch so I ordered a 28 just like it and it will not tote the bow I have it on here for sale.

Todd I will defiantly be calling you next week. If anybody knows what I need it would be the guy that has the same boat as me and also builds props.
P.S. check out what nose cone I'm running.

084 (2).jpg

patches

You have a setup issue and/or need more time with the boat if you're having that much of a problem driving it. What's your setback and propshaft height? Is the factory lip still on the pad?

TMc

Defiantly need more seat time . Set back is 5" right now bottom of propshaft even with bottom. I don't know if the lip is factory or not but it has one it's about 0.60 high all the way across the pad. I think it's mostly prop because a 24 ET runs and drives good and so does the Hill 4 blade Yamaha that my buddy has.

F2008

Thanks, Tim
My recommendation would be for you to contact Todd and.....

..... install a by-pass switch so you can start it in gear.

catfish123

If it stays at .060 ALL the way across the pad, that is not stock.

TMc

If it stays at .060 ALL the way across the pad, that is not stock.
Ok what is stock. I'm the third owner in this boats 30 year life . I can tell you though if someone modified it they re-gel coated it because it matched the rest of the bottom.

I would like to see a picture of what's supposed to be there or what runs and handles the best.

I compared the lip on my boat to '92 XB2002 that I know is stock and they are almost identical.

TMc

My recommendation would be for you to contact Todd and.....

..... install a by-pass switch so you can start it in gear.
Already can start in gear.

I talked with Todd placing an order with him tomorrow he has a boat just like mine and same year model so he should know exactly what I need.

Thanks