NEW LOOK: WELCOME to the 21st CENTURY!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Guys,

Thanks to the fact that Tony Clark introduced me to Jon Woodall who lives nearby here on Watts Bar Lake, who just HAPPENS to be employed by one of the world's largest and best-known computer networking companies....Voila! Allison Owners Forum Gen3.

It took Jon MONTHS of hard work to get this going, streamline it, beta test it, and all this without a penny of compensation. In fact, he's out-of-pocket for some of it.

This is the type of thing I truly wanted to do for literally years, but lacked the skills and had zero time to learn them, and (being an Allison owner, control freak) I never felt at ease with "tossing the keys" to make such changes to someone I had not established a great rapport with and who was relatively close. In this situation, WIN / WIN!

So please...If you like it, join me in giving Jon a standing ovation for his tireless and unselfish work thus far.

But as Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top said.."Ah gawt NEWS for ya.."

We ain't done. :eek:

Nott. Yett. :D

Hope y'all enjoy the refresh.

Lou

BigRedAlli

From what I've seen so far I Like It!!!
Definitely more smartphone friendly. ..Great job Jon and THANKS!!!!

Reactions: Jon

whipper

Wow lou the site looks real nice. its going take an hour or so to get the feel of all the new features but its just awsome!! I love the like button like Face Book. ;) And the added smileys are great to! haha
AND for all you older guys like me that found posting pictures from a site like photobucket or tiny pics ect.... You no longer have to do that!!! YOU CAN GO were it says Upload File below go to your pictures{ on your computer} and right click over a picture on your computer and hit select on top and bam! your pic is on hear. i just tryed this works great!! Nice Job Jon you must have spent alot of your time helping us get a new site with all the bells and whistles! Awesome!!

Attachments

Jon

Supporting Member
Thanks everyone. And all of this was a pleasure. I just ask for a 15% break on anything I buy from you :) <--joke

To Whipper's point, try dragging a picture into the text box where you reply to the thread. That will work as well. There are quite a few little tricks and updates you will find out. I encourage you to try new ways of doing things and see where the limits are for this new forum.

I really disliked how difficult the board was to post pictures and view on a phone. I sometimes want to take a pic of something and post immediately, and not have to mail it to myself, or upload it, or whatever - it was a hassle. Here is a little article about why I chose to not upgrade the old forum to just a newer version of vBulletin, and changed the format entirely to Xenforo:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vbulletin-is-dying-no-vbulletin-is-dead.1793735/

Jon

Supporting Member
Big thanks to silverbullet02 & whipper for all the testing. We managed to work through every scenario we could think of in a beta update of the forum. It's still up, and there are some interesting conversations on there :). I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Big thanks to Lou for putting his trust in me to not completely lose/break/vaporize this board on accident!

aeneas

I just read the link Jon posted where arguments for choosing the new board platform were listed - I am very impressed not only for the research but for the actual migration (very complicated according to the text)!

And what a beautiful picture of the XS-2003 running! Makes me wanna go down to the shed, jack the engine all up and then bolt Shook's RE30 on to it and go for a Easter ride... :)

whipper

No kidding!! that page is the home page now on this board. Love having that back also!! I for one have been flipping over there when things are quite hear. All as that makes me is want a SS,XR01 and 02 XB02 and a 21 for the big stuff! 300 Drag on everything but the 21 were a 300xs dbr will work. :cool:

nort

Looks awesome!
Gotta figure out how to post pics from my iPhone & iPad.
Thanks for all the hard work.
I can only imagine the amount of time & effort that's gone into this transformation.

resqu-u

Awesome work Jon, I can't imagine the time you put into making all the new features work. This site has always had the best group of guys on it and now it has the best functions of any forum that I visit. I wish I could make it to the rally this year to buy you a few rounds. You deserve a standing ovation and a few cold ones. Thank You for the hard work!

allisonriverrat

Great job.. I am computer stupid.. So I probably cant come close to imagine the effort it took to do this...thanks Jon. You da man.