New GS need help on setup

mxzx

I would put some weight on the passenger side to balance the boat, makes a huge difference in handling. I also run hydromotive QIV props on my GSE, fantastic props! One is a 24" worked for more pulling power and a 26" worked for top end.

flying07

I would put some weight on the passenger side to balance the boat, makes a huge difference in handling. I also run hydromotive QIV props on my GSE, fantastic props! One is a 24" worked for more pulling power and a 26" worked for top end.
agreed! i had 18 pounds passenger side gunnel as far forward as i could, then 32 pounds same gunnel all the way back. . . my battery in passenger side also . . . at 90 and above, moving two docking bouys from the driver to the passenger side did huge to help how she felt! i also am 6 foot 3 and 195 lbs, ran seat all the way back, slide mount on pedal to move it forward, and mounted seat 1 inch toward the passenger side . . . . Todd at Hydromotive was a HUGE help with me and my GS, and I would love to try his props. . . will hopefully soon when my 'training wheels' arrive. . .haha

RiverRat71

I talked to Key Pucket today at Fishin World Performance Boats. He is the one who sold the boat to the original owner. Seems like a knowledgeable guy & gave me some pointers on setting jackplate height etc.. I really appreciate the input from you guys. Seems like a lot of good people on this board. Once I have her in my hands & get everything setup I will update on how she drives. Likely will be a while. Got a lot going on in the next few weeks. Would love one of you pro's near me to drive her & show me a few things too. Keep the info coming, my head is like a sponge & I love it.

RiverRat71

Welcome!! I just sold my GS, my first 'performance' boat. Was a blast learning to drive it! I still remember when 55 was chine walk city, and then hit 62 one day, and was nicknamed 'Russ 62" by a few on the board! It takes time, don't get frustrated! As someone told me, you learn to drive it by feeling it in your seat aka: in your ass. and it's true. If you see it walk, you are already behind it. I had the traditional set up, 11 inches set back, 1/8 below pad (i thought it was 1/2 below most time, no wonder it spun a 26 so well!haha). I was with a fairly stout promax, on a 26 chopper. Carried the bow well that prop did, my favorite prop for sure. Biggest tip: find someone who can drive the boat, and ride with them a few runs. Then you 'feel' what it should be like, if that makes sense? I still remember the first time in the boat, Big Mike is driving, hit's the trim, thing gets way up and hits 92, felt awesome, but too, I thought we were going to die!hahha. . . he set it down smooth as silk and says 'not bad, not your turn!' i only hit 62 haha. Other big point, slow down slowly!!! barely, barely lift off, cool part is, at higher speeds, boat will feel to accelarate as the stern raises as you lift . . hehe. Counterweight is huge in the GS, but not too important till up on the pad. God I wish I could 'learn' all over again, it was exciting as hell!

Here is the link to my 'learning' post. . . . http://forum.allisonowners.net/index.php?threads/russ-62mph-p.16403/
Awesome thread. Almost cried at the end when you did the walk around, LOL.

RoseXB03

Mine is 1/4 below pad, 13" setback with a Promax. I weigh 265 so we decided on the 13" over the 10" when I bought the boat. I generally run about 65# scattered on passenger side plus a small Yeti with drinks slid over. Pretty true by myself. Can run 75+ with little effort. Battery is in passenger side wing as well. Just takes seat time to learn, it will be frustrating but you will get it. Really would be nice to have a local ABoat pilot go with you a few times. My problem was always over driving, you will see what I mean.
Some folks have turned the seat mount so you can slide side to side instead of front an back to help balance.
Good luck and sweet rig!!

RiverRat71

Mine is 1/4 below pad, 13" setback with a Promax. I weigh 265 so we decided on the 13" over the 10" when I bought the boat. I generally run about 65# scattered on passenger side plus a small Yeti with drinks slid over. Pretty true by myself. Can run 75+ with little effort. Battery is in passenger side wing as well. Just takes seat time to learn, it will be frustrating but you will get it. Really would be nice to have a local ABoat pilot go with you a few times. My problem was always over driving, you will see what I mean.
Some folks have turned the seat mount so you can slide side to side instead of front an back to help balance.
Good luck and sweet rig!!
I am a buck fifty. What kind of weight would you guess for ballast?

DOUBLE J

I'm running a 280 Short shaft with 11" set back and a 1 inch wedge so maybe 12" total. Last time I checked it I'm running about 1/4 ' -1/2" above pad. If running solo (approx. 210#'s) I put in approximately 60# in side gunnel pushed as forward as I can get it. I'm usually running with a small Yeti ice chest behind passenger seat. The battery is in passenger back compartment but it's a Odyessy 925 so it's about 25#'s lighter than a normal battery. I ran last Friday with a passenger (same motor height and passenger approximately 185#'s) and I ran 102 w/ us with a half of tank of gas. There was more left but I ran out of straight away. Take your time and enjoy the learning curve.

RoseXB03

I am a buck fifty. What kind of weight would you guess for ballast?
Its purely experimental, Id guess your battery is in the wing, probably start somewhere around 30ish in gunnel. But again its all situational. Also on motor height you may get 1/2 below to 1/2 above answers. Again its experimental, Just be careful!!!

I only have a little over 3 yrs in a A boat so I still consider myself a rookie, I prefer somewhat safe to me at 1/4 below. Double J been running these boats for a while and racing. He runs his above pad but he is experienced and knows his limits... Is a blast trying to figure all this stuff out though!!!

Last edited:

flying07

Russ had the time of his life in that GS it's gone now , what a shame but what a greet time to remember down the road ! I bet it won't be the last Allison for him !
I will get another some day. . . . after i get bored with my 280 powered 'training wheels' . . . or broke from the re-builds!haha. . . darn Promax was a great motor!

RiverRat71

I want to say thanks again for all the replies. Again, if any of you Alli pilots are anywhere close to south GA I would be glad to let you drive it. Also, when you are solo & you board from the beach what is the best way? I cant imagine pushing her off from the front then walking on the bow.

RoseXB03

I want to say thanks again for all the replies. Again, if any of you Alli pilots are anywhere close to south GA I would be glad to let you drive it. Also, when you are solo & you board from the beach what is the best way? I cant imagine pushing her off from the front then walking on the bow.
Hafta get wet!!! Push mine off then get on from the back...

mxzx

I have had no issues at all with being on the deck of my GS and I am 200lbs. Mine is a 1996 and there isn't a single stress crack anywhere.

RiverRat71

I have had no issues at all with being on the deck of my GS and I am 200lbs. Mine is a 1996 and there isn't a single stress crack anywhere.
I figured it had plenty of structural integrity. I just hate the thought of walking on that shiny, beautiful gel.

RiverRat71

Hey river rat , how's it going ? I been gone for a while . Did you get it yet ? Have you gotten behind the wheel yet ? Before you know it you won't even think about how to drive her . I've had mine 8 yrs and still can't wait to put in and go !
Hey, no I haven't went for her yet. I have had too much going on but am going next week. Believe me, it has been killing me. I am likely going to have the lower checked & refinished before I take her out. After a little more investigation I think JC at JC's Propellers actually did the nose cone. I spoke with Titus by email & he said neighborhood of $700 to refinish the unit. JC says $300 so I think it is likely going to him either way. The $700 sounded a little high to me. Once I get my hands on her I will update as to what prop etc.. Thanks, RR

flying07

good luck! work with Todd Bucknell at Hydromotive, he has had serious seat time in a GS, huge help to me!!! Great guy!

ROBERT CROSS

good luck! work with Todd Bucknell at Hydromotive, he has had serious seat time in a GS, huge help to me!!! Great guy!
^
X2

Todd was a big help in getting us set-up when we got the GS.
user2207_pic182_1257538576.jpg

BTW....talked to Thom last week, Todd is doing very well after the racing accident last Summer.

RiverRat71

Thanks, I will be sure to talk to him. Doubt I will be able to take my boat to him (too far away) but I will get his input on props & setup. Seems like a lot of you guys are running his props.