New GS need help on setup

DOUBLE J

Life's good. Slipped down the stairs and pulled my quad from my knee and had to have surgery to reattach. So besides that it's all good. I was thinking about this new guy's questions about set up and I don't want someone to get hurt by not setting it up correctly. I had a 200 on another Grandsport for a while and I believe I had it set up with a little below even (1/4 -1/2" below). I would start somewhere in that range. I'm able to run higher due to running a 280 15" which has the trim pump in the hull instead of on the motor bracket and lightweight battery. I would not get too worried about top end stuff till I can thoroughly drive it in the 70-80 mph range. Half the fun of owning one is mastering the driving.

harrells

Like DOUBLE J said. Start at 1/4in. below the pad and take it easy on the trim button. I'd share my set up with you but i'm running a 3.0L 250xs on my GS which is a completely different animal. Seat time is the key. Good luck.

RiverRat71

Thanks guys! I plan on taking it easy & learning the boat in stages. I am not in a hurry to find out what she will do on the top although I am sure I will find out one day.:)

flying07

Excited to see your progress!! keep us all informed. . . that was the most fun, posting my 'allison learning' under 'Russ 62mph'. . . .like all said, easy on trim, they fly flat, until you get good. . . . wait till the first time you get it on the pad, weirdest damn feeling ever!!! then after a while you are yelling 'get up, get up' as you pedal to the floor trying to get on the pad so you can get moving!haha. . . nothing beats seat time, and find someone who can drive it to go with you. . .big Mike really showed me the way. . .. you can't learn to drive an allison by reading, only by doing. . . . feeling what your boat can do in the hands of someone who can drive it was huge for me! though i thought i was going to die at 92 that first time with Big Mike at the wheel, that gave me the 'feel' to strive for. . . . and pissed me off cause damn he made it look so easy!!hhaha. . . you know, fly me down, i'll gladly go beat on your boat for a weekend. . . i mean show you what to do . . . if i can remember that is!haha. . . .

RiverRat71

Excited to see your progress!! keep us all informed. . . that was the most fun, posting my 'allison learning' under 'Russ 62mph'. . . .like all said, easy on trim, they fly flat, until you get good. . . . wait till the first time you get it on the pad, weirdest damn feeling ever!!! then after a while you are yelling 'get up, get up' as you pedal to the floor trying to get on the pad so you can get moving!haha. . . nothing beats seat time, and find someone who can drive it to go with you. . .big Mike really showed me the way. . .. you can't learn to drive an allison by reading, only by doing. . . . feeling what your boat can do in the hands of someone who can drive it was huge for me! though i thought i was going to die at 92 that first time with Big Mike at the wheel, that gave me the 'feel' to strive for. . . . and pissed me off cause damn he made it look so easy!!hhaha. . . you know, fly me down, i'll gladly go beat on your boat for a weekend. . . i mean show you what to do . . . if i can remember that is!haha. . . .
I have a friend who has been flying Hydrostreams a long time but he has never piloted an Allison. If I let him drive he might scare the sh#@ out of both of us, LOL. I do wish I knew someone fairly local to show me the ropes but I am willing to put in the hours & get it on my own. If you ever come this way be sure to yell I would def let you fly her. RR

ally25

RiverRat, Correct me if I'm wrong, but you stated in your earlier post that the motor you have on your GS is a 225 optimax XS. Is it the 2.5 XS or the 3.0l? If is is the 3L, Scott Harrell Is the one that could help in the set-up since he runs a 3L on his GS. I also have a 3L on my XB2003 and live in N central Fl if I can be of any help.

RiverRat71

RiverRat, Correct me if I'm wrong, but you stated in your earlier post that the motor you have on your GS is a 225 optimax XS. Is it the 2.5 XS or the 3.0l? If is is the 3L, Scott Harrell Is the one that could help in the set-up since he runs a 3L on his GS. I also have a 3L on my XB2003 and live in N central Fl if I can be of any help.
Hi, it is the 2.5 XS. Is that bad or good? I have been told the 2.5 XS is a good engine.

Rick Propst

River Rat you should bring the boat to the Suwanne Run the weekend of Nov 10 there will be plenty of Allison Drivers there that you could get all kinds of info on and its a long run where you can get a lot of valuable seat time

RiverRat71

River Rat you should bring the boat to the Suwanne Run the weekend of Nov 10 there will be plenty of Allison Drivers there that you could get all kinds of info on and its a long run where you can get a lot of valuable seat time
I doubt that I will have the LU back by then but if I do I may do just that. I have friends that are going so I will likely be there but might just be a passenger. Either way I hope I get to go.

ally25

On the 2.5 XS, I think it was in production only a couple of years. What I read about it sounded like a good motor for the Allisons. I was disappointed when merc drop it from their line. Not sure what the weight of it, but I know it falls between the 3L opti, and 2.5 promax. It does use the 3L mid and lower. It should be a good motor and should get excellent mpg. I am amazed at the economy of the 250xs on my 003 compared to the 225 super mag I had before on this boat. In my opinion, you could fix the problem with the lower unit with the experience you have in body work and run it. You have some learning to do before you will be looking for big numbers. You could always send it off later when you get to that point. AS said before, seat time will be your best friend. Learn to drive it at the speed it starts chine walk, before going to the next 5 mph increase. Do the same at each step. Do not let anybody tell you to just drive through chine walk, you have to control it. Welcome to the Allison family, you will find the boats to be totally amazing in their performance.

RiverRat71

On the 2.5 XS, I think it was in production only a couple of years. What I read about it sounded like a good motor for the Allisons. I was disappointed when merc drop it from their line. Not sure what the weight of it, but I know it falls between the 3L opti, and 2.5 promax. It does use the 3L mid and lower. It should be a good motor and should get excellent mpg. I am amazed at the economy of the 250xs on my 003 compared to the 225 super mag I had before on this boat. In my opinion, you could fix the problem with the lower unit with the experience you have in body work and run it. You have some learning to do before you will be looking for big numbers. You could always send it off later when you get to that point. AS said before, seat time will be your best friend. Learn to drive it at the speed it starts chine walk, before going to the next 5 mph increase. Do the same at each step. Do not let anybody tell you to just drive through chine walk, you have to control it. Welcome to the Allison family, you will find the boats to be totally amazing in their performance.
The weight is listed as 450. I would refinish the lower myself but I want it inspected to make 100% sure it is cosmetic only. I want an impeller replacement anyway. Def not looking for big numbers. I am sure that will come in time, maybe. I can get my fix on my PWC (almost 300hp & 818 lbs) until I really learn the Alli. Thanks again for all input & invitation is open for Alli pilots to drive her. RR

ally25

Hey, pick up a water pump kit, and a quart of lower unit oil and bring it down here to Melrose, Fl and I'll help you repair the crack in the filler and install the pump and lake test in the lake behind the house. You will know how to do it for yourself next time. All in one day if you get here early enough. Any day but Sunday, everyday is Sat but Sun. ha Contact me at mercury2553@yahoo.com

Reactions: Jon

RiverRat71

Hey, pick up a water pump kit, and a quart of lower unit oil and bring it down here to Melrose, Fl and I'll help you repair the crack in the filler and install the pump and lake test in the lake behind the house. You will know how to do it for yourself next time. All in one day if you get here early enough. Any day but Sunday, everyday is Sat but Sun. ha Contact me at mercury2553@yahoo.com
Thanks! Sure are a lot of helpful guys on this forum!

Reactions: Jon

RiverRat71

Well tomorrow is the big day! Going to pick up the GS. Gotta admit, got butterflies & haven't even seen it in person yet, LOL. Wish me luck. Hopefully the boat will be as nice as pictures & I don't get any red flags. I have researched the boat so all should be good. I will update & load a couple pics when I get home. Thanks again everyone! RR

RiverRat71

Hey RR, Where are you having to go to get the GS? Good luck with it.
Boat was in OK but the seller met me in Memphis, TN. Still a long ride from south GA but it was SURE worth it. The boat is mint & looks new in every way. The previous owner must have only used it a few times. Man, I cant wait to get on the water. The only prob I see is the boat came with a ski prop (Trophy Plus 21P). What should be the first prop I should buy? I will make do with this one for now but I know I need something with a little more pitch. The previous owner , who is deceased, was a drag boat racer & competition skier so I am sure he had other props for the boat but I have no way of knowing what he had or where they are.

flying07

Boat was in OK but the seller met me in Memphis, TN. Still a long ride from south GA but it was SURE worth it. The boat is mint & looks new in every way. The previous owner must have only used it a few times. Man, I cant wait to get on the water. The only prob I see is the boat came with a ski prop (Trophy Plus 21P). What should be the first prop I should buy? I will make do with this one for now but I know I need something with a little more pitch. The previous owner , who is deceased, was a drag boat racer & competition skier so I am sure he had other props for the boat but I have no way of knowing what he had or where they are.
Glad you picked it up!! Call Todd Bucknell at Hydromotive, he will get you a great prop, he was hugely helpful with my GS! That said, i also loved my 26 chopper, it had been worked at one point, not sure by who, but it worked great! Wasn't a huge fan of a 30et, but only ran it couple times before I sold the boat, so not fair to judge based on that. Todd is great, and i've also heard great things about Drag 3's and Hoss's, as others have said. . . .