New GS need help on setup

RiverRat71

Mr. Key Puckett at Fishin World Performance Boats suggested the Trophy Plus 26P. He said it being a smaller diameter prop would be a good first prop to learn to drive with. Any body agree? Mr. Puckett has a lot of seat time in the Allison boats.

flying07

Mr. Key Puckett at Fishin World Performance Boats suggested the Trophy Plus 26P. He said it being a smaller diameter prop would be a good first prop to learn to drive with. Any body agree? Mr. Puckett has a lot of seat time in the Allison boats.
I heard that too. . . . then "Big Mike" told me to throw the chopper on and run it, haha. Great teacher, right? 'Wisconsin Tony' told me the same . . . . . so the chopper stayed on . . . .

Rick Propst

small props in general are great for learning how to drive an Allison, Et props are great as well thats what my dad is running on his GS, but he is running a 30

Jr in Jax

I use the 26P Trophy II Plus too and I love it. My ChopperII 30 and Triton are faster [95] but the Trophy [87] makes my boat handle rough water so much better which makes my wife happier. The trophy makes the hull run flatter in rough water instead of broaching bow up with big waves. I also get great gas mileage and handling through tight turns at high speeds.

RiverRat71

Thanks for the input guys! After speaking with Mr. Bucknell today I think I am going to let him fix me up a prop based on my setback & LU gear ratio. I spoke with him at length & I think that will be best. I know I will end up with an assortment of props but I think I want to try the Hydromotive first.

flying07

Thanks for the input guys! After speaking with Mr. Bucknell today I think I am going to let him fix me up a prop based on my setback & LU gear ratio. I spoke with him at length & I think that will be best. I know I will end up with an assortment of props but I think I want to try the Hydromotive first.
Perfect idea!!! Todd was AWESOME to me, and still is. . . . :)

Lotus 50

Todd is a good direction. I found 4 blades easier when I started. Having 200 lb of ballast (my brother) beside me also helped when I first started trying to drive fast. I have a side slide SS2000, so I could center my weight without ballast. Having extra weight up front reduced the trim sensitivity and made the boat more stable.

RiverRat71

Just so you all know, I have been talking with Mr. Tom, Todd's dad. He said Todd won't be there for a couple months. He seems like a super guy as well.

flying07

Did you get her in the water yet? Excited to see your progress! i was just going through my old videos, from the chine at 55, to scaring 'big mike' at 62, to feeling the boat lift on the pad, to this year running 93 and 94 like it was easy. . . . god i miss my old GS! . . . . good jacket on, kill switch, keep trim neutral, and just get a 'feel' for it. . . . you'll find you will use your eyes at first to detect the chine, but then, it's too late. . . . eventually you feel it in your 'butt', and are ahead of it, and will wonder what took so long. . . . when u get it and start hitting trim bumps and the WHOLE BOAT raises up, not just the bow, best feeling ever!!!!! keep us all posted!!

RiverRat71

Did you get her in the water yet? Excited to see your progress! i was just going through my old videos, from the chine at 55, to scaring 'big mike' at 62, to feeling the boat lift on the pad, to this year running 93 and 94 like it was easy. . . . god i miss my old GS! . . . . good jacket on, kill switch, keep trim neutral, and just get a 'feel' for it. . . . you'll find you will use your eyes at first to detect the chine, but then, it's too late. . . . eventually you feel it in your 'butt', and are ahead of it, and will wonder what took so long. . . . when u get it and start hitting trim bumps and the WHOLE BOAT raises up, not just the bow, best feeling ever!!!!! keep us all posted!!
Not on the water yet. Our local reservoir & river is down so people can work on the docks. Might be another week or so. Haven't had time to take her anywhere else. I will def update after first drive. Thanks all! RR

RiverRat71

Well I got to take the GS out Saturday. You guys were right, definitely a handful. I could only get to about 50 before chine walking. Raised the jack a little & made a huge difference. I could get to 60+ before it started. I managed to get 63 as top speed but I think I was running out of RPM's there anyway with the little prop. Going to have to learn to feel it coming because once it starts I have to ease out of the throttle to get her settled down. Def a thrill to drive & going to be fun learning. The lake I took her to is always rough as hell so hopefully when I can get to some good water maybe I will pick up on the feel a little easier. Going to get me a prop soon so I will post how the next drive goes. Thanks again to everyone. RR

whipper

I am decent at paint & body but think I would rather have it done professionally. I am also a decent mechanic but have never pulled a LU so I think I would let someone else do that as well though I wouldn't mind learning how. If it doesn't require special tools I would be even more interested. Here is a pic of the LU. Any input from anyone would be great.
You MUST do it your self Riverrat.. If you can change a spark plug you can take your lower off and put back on. every spring you will need to replace the waterpump impeller and gaskets. So ya may as well dive right in because it will cost you having some else do it for nothing. BTW your gear case looks fantastic!! I wouldn't bother messing with it until it needs it. If you decide to change the cooling impeller and need step buy step just give me a call i would be happy to help. That simple honestly. This forum Allison FB and scream and fly are all full of information. you ask and you will receive. Happy GS boating they are very forgiving and lightning fast!!

whipper

Well I got to take the GS out Saturday. You guys were right, definitely a handful. I could only get to about 50 before chine walking. Raised the jack a little & made a huge difference. I could get to 60+ before it started. I managed to get 63 as top speed but I think I was running out of RPM's there anyway with the little prop. Going to have to learn to feel it coming because once it starts I have to ease out of the throttle to get her settled down. Def a thrill to drive & going to be fun learning. The lake I took her to is always rough as hell so hopefully when I can get to some good water maybe I will pick up on the feel a little easier. Going to get me a prop soon so I will post how the next drive goes. Thanks again to everyone. RR

Good one thats the spirit! It take about a month to truly get the feel into the mid 80.s after 65 to faster its all trim. Every bump at first past there is 10mph instantly then takes a few more to max her out. Calm water is a must. then you feel every little input. Most dont bother running past 65 when its rough out. Setup right there is very little movment on the wheel. but at first everyone tends to over do it. So your actually rocking the hull your self. lol I made this clip to show the hand movements. i think i got up to high 80,s or soÉ Any way you can clearly see there little jerk motions. you'll feal when. it comes second nature after a while and you dont even know your doing them.

RiverRat71

Good one thats the spirit! It take about a month to truly get the feel into the mid 80.s after 65 to faster its all trim. Every bump at first past there is 10mph instantly then takes a few more to max her out. Calm water is a must. then you feel every little input. Most dont bother running past 65 when its rough out. Setup right there is very little movment on the wheel. but at first everyone tends to over do it. So your actually rocking the hull your self. lol I made this clip to show the hand movements. i think i got up to high 80,s or soÉ Any way you can clearly see there little jerk motions. you'll feal when. it comes second nature after a while and you dont even know your doing them.
You MUST do it your self Riverrat.. If you can change a spark plug you can take your lower off and put back on. every spring you will need to replace the waterpump impeller and gaskets. So ya may as well dive right in because it will cost you having some else do it for nothing. BTW your gear case looks fantastic!! I wouldn't bother messing with it until it needs it. If you decide to change the cooling impeller and need step buy step just give me a call i would be happy to help. That simple honestly. This forum Allison FB and scream and fly are all full of information. you ask and you will receive. Happy GS boating they are very forgiving and lightning fast!!
Thanks whipper! Looks like we have similar boats!

Attachments

FloridaGS

River Rat you should bring the boat to the Suwanne Run the weekend of Nov 10 there will be plenty of Allison Drivers there that you could get all kinds of info on and its a long run where you can get a lot of valuable seat time
I'm in Gainesville , what are some of the details?

Rick Propst

I'm in Gainesville , what are some of the details?
FloridaGS The run is Nov 11-13 , most people are putting in at Fanning Springs,, Friday we run south to the Gulf and Sat we run north to the split, both runs are somewhere around 40 to 50 miles, Then at night everyone is invited to Tom Foleys place for a Bon Fire and Food,,This is (to me) one of the Best rides there is, the last two years there has been over 100 boats and they are expecting more,, its a blast... We get there early both day and try to head out before everyone else so we have great water:D,,there is more info on the Scream and Fly website if you need it, hope to see you there

Last edited:

RiverRat71

Rick, FloridaGS, the Suwannee sounds great but I am not going to make it this year (even though I am only 3 hrs away). I have a couple friends that are going though. Maybe they will bring me some pics. I will have it on my calendar for next year for sure!

FloridaGS

I will be at Rock bluff on Saturday by 12pm...Suwannee is my home river, Hope to see some Allisons for a change...ps. my girlfriend tells some good jokes...lol..if you laugh you owe me a beer:)