Is this a CLE?

I/O to O/B

Is my lower a CLE? I assume so, (I know what the SM looks like), but am wondering if it might have been coned. There is a crack along an underside and it looks like bondo in there.

I've now tried 4 different props, the best is an OMC 29 pitch thats been labbed and my top speed is still only 83 mph, gps. I've tried everything, motor height, changing weight balance (forward, side to side), and no luck. All times out have been pretty humid. I'm wondering, like my I/O, maybe theres a couple mph lost to the humidity, and then to get pat 85 I'll need a different or coned lower. Any advice/thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

bigtis

It appears to be a coned 200 case, maybe a torqumaster, but I think it's a 200 case.

I/O to O/B

Thanks - Is there a difference between a 200 and 225 lower? My engine is a 225. I think TMs are the slowest of the bunch? Which might explain my slower speeds?

patches

Like Tis said, it's a coned 200 or torquemaster. The torquemaster is a great case when coned. They have the heavy duty internals like the sportmaster has. From the pic I don't think the gearcase is the problem. You need to have somebody that knows what there doing look at your motor. Sounds like your a good 10 to 15 mph off the pace

You oughta put your location in your profile. May be a member close to you that can help you

Last edited:

I/O to O/B

Good idea. The engine was compression checked in the Spring, but I guess that doesn't mean it hasn't been de-tuned. My rpms all seem normal and I can run the 29 pitch props up to 6800. Maybe I'm trimming too far, though, to get there.

TBuck2003

You are getting way tooooo much slip , to the tune of 16-17% You need to make sure there is nothing impeding water flow to the prop, or nothing is hanging down off the transom , or bottom of the boat. That case and prop should be in the 7-10% slip range. Your motor height also needs to be checked for accuracy. Start there to eliminate variables. If the motor were tired you would not lose that much.

TBuck

J

John Richied

It’s hard to tell from the small picture for sure but I’m going to say that’s a Torquemaster with a nosecone. A very good handling/speed case as said with some durability and most likely a JC’s being the water hoses are not exposed.

The crack in the epoxy will cause excessive slip and even blowout when the boat gets to enough speed to get air back to the prop from that crack.

NOW is a good time to have all of that repaired.

Also you could have 2.1 gears from your RPM/Speed numbers… if you do have 2.1 gears your slip is closer to 10% and that’s not bad.

I/O to O/B

Thanks Guys. The speed numbers are with gps. The tach could be on the happy side, but I know the original owner of the boat (I'm the third), was into racing/speed, and all three props are 28/29 pitch. One would assume he was able to spin em, or he wouldn't have kept buying them. Now that I think of it there is all that speedo pitot tubing right at the bottom of the pad, together with a black lever/arm that seems to keep sticking down. Maybe I will remove that junk and see what happens. Also, will get the lower looked at this winter to make sure shes ok. The gear ratio could well be the issue; I know the most recent owner changed the lower, after hitting something. If it were 2:1 gears, then I should be able to spin a higher-pitch prop, yes? ie a 30 or 31 maybe? Knowing how much hp it takes to make even 2 extra mph, I still have trouble thinking I'm gonna pick up 8 or 10 mph by any of this stuff, but maybe these boats, being as light as they are, are that responsive to minor changes. Gonna keep on it...:beating dead horse

Last edited:

BASS BUM

if i may ask, what elevation are you running at. i had a 225 on my o3 and it would top out at about 83-84 and the lake i run at is 4300' elevation. we get about 10-12% hp loss at this elevation. i know a lot of these guys run at sea level or close to it.

xb03fs

Still dosn't explain the slip numbers. Even with all the troubles I have been having I had great slip numbers. I think I finally found it however I will be running a small 24 trophy to ski with this weekend so no new numbers are expected.

80 is my target with a 200 and a 26P

Last edited:

BASS BUM

Still dosn't explain the slip numbers. Even with all the troubles I have been having I had great slip numbers. I think I finally found it however I will be running a small 24 trophy to ski with this weekend so no new numbers are expected.

80 is my target with a 200 and a 26P prop a 280 should do better even at high elevations
if you are talking about my post. i stated that i was running a 225 when i ran those #'s. with the 280 my best so far is 87.4 with a 26 trophy that was not pitched correctly. i recently had mark's props b & b the prop and i am expecting mid to low 90's with this prop when all is said and done. with the load you are running 80 should be a good target. if you partially empty the boat you should be running mid 80's. a 225 at high elevation is like a 200 where you are at. yes the slip #'s are a question, but sometimes boaters don't calculate elevation power loss into the equation.unless you have experienced it you really don't think about it

xb03fs

I was referring to I/O to OB, I think I found my problem it was that my trottle plates were only opening 2/3 to 3/4 of the way, I readjusted my hotfoot and am expecting things to speed up. It will feel like a new boat I am sure. Editied prior post, not sure why I thought the 280 was his

Lotus 50

I/O to Outboard is in Ottawa, our nations capital. 374 feet above sea level. Lower than the 725 feet where I run.

Maybe your prop is lousy. Ship the 29 SRX to DAH for work, or to me for fun.

I/O to O/B

Maybe its my HotFOOT?? I changed the throttle cable when I bought the boat cause it was busted. Maybe I need to adjust the screw? Did I read on here that you can't go too far on the adjustment for some reason?

xb03fs

Maybe its my HotFOOT?? I changed the throttle cable when I bought the boat cause it was busted. Maybe I need to adjust the screw? Did I read on here that you can't go too far on the adjustment for some reason?
That was my issue it would have nothing to do with prop slip.

I/O to O/B

Guys - I jacked around with the Hot Foot for two days and can't get more out of the throttle. Im still at 82, 83, max gps speed with these 28 and 29 pitch props. There is a water-pressure speedo assembly attached to the transom, but it is up away from the pad. I would think that once she's running on the pad, the water flow would go nowhere near that? Is that a standard Allison speedo option? Maybe the crack in the cone is causing the high slip.

I'm very frustrated - I want... I need a 90 mph boat.

xb03fs

Its gotta be in the setup, I am 82/83 GPS with a 200 EFI turning 26 P props 6700 and 28 P props 6,000 I have hit 82/83 with about 4 different props light loaded by myself, light load is trolling motor, 3 batteries, a few fishing poles, one tackle bag, one tool box, one spare prop, one first aid kit, one extra jug of oil some life jackets and me about 220 setup side steer.......
I have hit 80 Plus with a hydro 26 X-OT, 28 hydro OT, Hoss 27, 26 chopper, and thats it so far but I have a 27 Hydro that I am dying to try in the spring