Honest opinion on how my boat performed yesterday

SmallJaw

I took a couple of customers fishing yesterday. One weighed 360 the other about 180, and I come in at 200. Full tank of fuel, livewell full, about 80 pounds of tackle and ice chest stuff. It was 77 degrees and very nice outside. The men had never been faster than 60 and 70 in that order. I asked them if they wanted to break their old speed records and they laughed and told me to open it up. Here is where I need an honest Allison Expert or Collective Expert, opinion. I ran 80.6 mph and had my jackplate and trim at optimum position. I ran for several miles and tried different sets but the best I could do was 80.6. I think that is pretty good with all that weight in the boat. My prop is the 28 Hydro that Todd worked for me last year. I was pushing 6100 RPM's. Is that what you would expect from a BassPort with a XS250 or should I be doing better?

catfish123

I don't have the boat/motor you do, but with the LOAD you had, personally, I think that is great. What does it run lightly loaded with just you in it?

SmallJaw

I don't have the boat/motor you do, but with the LOAD you had, personally, I think that is great. What does it run lightly loaded with just you in it?
Catfish I ran it 90.00 last year when I first got the prop but I wasn't used to it. I probably could run in the low 90's with no problem now. By myself with a light load as you ask.

Darth VMAX

I would say your running great as well (take my .02 for what its worth...I have never driven a XB21) .

One question, don't you have a BasSport PRO? Where did the 3rd person sit?

GotMyAlly

I'd say that's pretty good. If you were able to turn 6100 RPMs with that much weight in the boat, what's it turn with a normal load? Sounds like you had a lot of slip to me. I would have expected the RPMs to be lower with that much weight if it was hooked up. 1.62 gears? I've you've got 1.75's, disregard what I just said.

I took Jeffro's dad for a ride in my 21 a couple years ago. I'm not sure what he weighs, but he's a pretty good size fellow. I had to add 2 shot bags to my side of the boat to balance. I got 89.XX, was only a couple tenths away from 90 but couldn't quite get there.

I've ran into the mid-80s with 3 in the boat and had some go-pedal left, but they were all ~200 lbers.

TBuck2003

I am assuming that is with 1:62 gears. If so that is 20% slip which is a lot. In saying that the load you had in the boat was extreme. Full fuel, live well, and an extra 540 lbs. in passenger weight is not a "normal" load. Did you try running the jack plate down to a low setting? This would of helped get lift back, and make boat clean up better with that load. Between fuel, well and extra passengers, you had an additional 1,000 plus pounds in the boat. That is "Heavy" Trying to trim to optimum speed at your normal engine height will produce high slip with that load.

SmallJaw

I am assuming that is with 1:62 gears. If so that is 20% slip which is a lot. In saying that the load you had in the boat was extreme. Full fuel, live well, and an extra 540 lbs. in passenger weight is not a "normal" load. Did you try running the jack plate down to a low setting? This would of helped get lift back, and make boat clean up better with that load. Between fuel, well and extra passengers, you had an additional 1,000 plus pounds in the boat. That is "Heavy" Trying to trim to optimum speed at your normal engine height will produce high slip with that load.
Todd, I did run the motor down some, but in all honesty, after reading the post and opinions here, I probably did not go low enough. When I first got the 28" prop from you I ran it for a LOT of miles playing with motor and trim to see what worked best. I was not getting hardly anything out of it till I finally just jacked it almost to the top of my jackplate gauge. I was about 90% of the top scale. Then I trimmed up and she ran like crazy. My 26 that you worked and that I use in the summer loves to be down about half of the jackplate gauge and trim has to be higher for performance. The 6100 rpms surprised me to be honest, carrying that load in the boat. She was heavy without a doubt.

reward69

Fished a tournament last weekend with a coworker that pushes 270 and I'm 245. (I'm 6-4 so not a fat a$$). Full gas and livewell I hit 86 but that was with my bravo xs 27. My go fast best rough water prop is my hydro xob but if I'm fishing with lard butt I run the xs due to it's better bow lifting and excelleration due to lower pitch. The rest of the time I run the xob. My normal partner is usually my 14 yo daughter who's 5-8' 115. We've hit 93 with empty live wells and full gas tank. She makes for some good balance, not to heavy or not too light.

JWW8

I am not,seeing the speeds that you all are claiming to hit at WOT. I have a BasSport Pro with a 250 Pro XS. It has a coned TM with 1:75 gears and I am running a Hydromotive 29 XOB. Best I have hit is 86 and that is flat out running on the edge for me. Is that about what I should expect for top end cruise? That was with just me in the boat and a normal tournament load.

reward69

I am not,seeing the speeds that you all are claiming to hit at WOT. I have a BasSport Pro with a 250 Pro XS. It has a coned TM with 1:75 gears and I am running a Hydromotive 29 XOB. Best I have hit is 86 and that is flat out running on the edge for me. Is that about what I should expect for top end cruise? That was with just me in the boat and a normal tournament load.
In my case I'm running the 2+2 which is a little faster platform than the pro. Also my motor is an 05' which is known to be one of the strongest year models for the 250xs. I've never dynoed mine but they say these run closer to 275 at the prop shaft.

GotMyAlly

How many rpms?

Have you had someone else drive it to see if they could get more?

Hotfoot opening the throttle all the way?

JWW8

6K RPMs
Lee Sanderson drove it and fixed the hotfoot to ensure full open throttle. That was with a 28P Bravo and he was hitting the limiter at 81 MPH. I have a 29P Hydromotive XOB on it now. It is not hitting the limiter but as I said, 86 MPH is the most I can get out of it. Just trying to determine if this is about all I should expect.

SmallJaw

I am far from being an expert on props and BassPorts but I have 1:62 gears and the day I ran 90 it was a cool or cold day. I did not hit the limiter on my motor though. I was at 6100. My motor is a '06 and the 28 Hydro XOB was worked by Todd Buck's shop. I know I was producing good HP with the colder temps and I was no where near loaded. It sounds like you are not set up like you might could be. Johnny Johnson and others have been in the mid-90's with 2+2 and they have the same hull and about the same weight.

JWW8

I am not sure how I should change my current setup. I know there are a lot of differing opinions regarding gear ratios; however, I am also running a Hydro XOB worked by T Buck for 1:75 gears (29P). My boat is not heavy and the load is balanced. I have a hydraulic JP so I can change engine height.

GotMyAlly

Your motors power curve falls off sharply past 6k. I don't think looking for more RPMs is where your top end is at. Even with 1.62's, I ran 30" and 31" pitch props to get my best speeds.

Motor height varies greatly....hard to tell you where it needs to be, but where is it set now?

The 2-seater is definitely the slowest of the breed, but I'm not sure by how much..........

JWW8

When I am running for speed, I generally have the motor height set for prop shaft even with the pad. I noticed with it above pad, it gets real squirrelly quick.

John S

If there's anyone that knows how to carry weight, it's TBUCK. Before he met his supermodel wife, he used to troll the Jenny Craig offices for fresh meat at the meetings, looking for heavies. Said he would rather put his money at the Old Country Buffet on a sure thing than at a whiskey lounge on what was at best a 25/75 proposition. He said if they didn't put the GS's rubrail under water, he wasn't gonna waste the time on the magnums and boones farm. And that's how the quad four was developed....Takin the big girls "down the river".....

GotMyAlly

If there's anyone that knows how to carry weight, it's TBUCK. Before he met his supermodel wife, he used to troll the Jenny Craig offices for fresh meat at the meetings, looking for heavies. Said he would rather put his money at the Old Country Buffet on a sure thing than at a whiskey lounge on what was at best a 25/75 proposition. He said if they didn't put the GS's rubrail under water, he wasn't gonna waste the time on the magnums and boones farm. And that's how the quad four was developed....Takin the big girls "down the river".....
Bonus points if ya got pics of that.........LMFAO