Help with hole shot.

whipper

x2 Darris will talk to you if hes not to busy. If ya get bill at the factory tell him your info on setup and he will get Darris for you.:beer: Likewise if you get Nancy on the line she will do the same.:wink

hooken203

I will get the new lower unit put on. The wedges installed and then see where I am at. Some have suggested an Allison foil if thats one that bolts onto the cavitaion plate not sure about that man they are ugly and look like they belong on a Bayliner. Also not much time left in my boating season.
I knew this boat would be a learning experience its part of what I like about it.

whipper

Yep foil, thats the one and its night and day with them on. Thats why all the drag racers use them because they work so awsome!! Get some good matching balls for that cavidy to help the stern from squating also make a big differance. You wont regret the foil. The one that Darris the boating worlds guro designed the one were talking about. looks percition and good not like those big fugly ones.

Bobalouie

The Allison foil may be ugly, but it works so good that you wont mind it. Trust me on that. Also, you may want to see if you can modify your Powerpole bracket to raise it up some so it doesnt drag at all on takeoff. I think someone else on here had to do that.

SLOmofo

What's it going to be? Form over function or function over form. The Allison plate is good looking compared to the rest.
I use a drag plate that's truly ugly but you know something I can't see it from inside the boat on BLAST OFF!
One other thing about the floatation inside the set back plate. That area either has X amount of water (weight) in it that has to drain out, or flotation that lessens the squat on take off. Your choice.

Years ago Land & Sea had a brake system for boats. Comprised of 2 actuators that dropped a piece down below the running surface. Up=Go Down=stop. What do those things hanging off the back of the boat and down into the water do. Idea make and use a foil on the bottom of both of those Praying Mantis arms you will have dragging in the water. Like the sail boats that just raced in the Gay Bay. Couldn't be any uglier. IMHO

hooken203

Only one power pole. Poor hole shot there before it was installed. Bracket are out of the water almost as soon as the boat starts moving.

GotMyAlly

Did you have the motor on another boat before? So you know for a fact that it's making full power?

I'd be real surprised if coning the gearcase helps much with sluggish holeshot. I think the real benefit of the coned gearcase is going to be seen in the handling and top end.

hooken203

Yes it came off of a 203 Champion. It was running good there. I agree on the lower unit mod. helping hole shot the only thing I was thinking was maybe being able to take off with the engine higher may help but I have tried it with the stock lower unit and there wasnt much of a difference and the water pressure goes to 0 as soon as it breaks over. Wedges will help. Alison foil if I have to. And that power pole bracket probably hurts me also.
I am also hearing some things about the variable valve timing changing cam timming when the engine spools up when the prop vents on take off. Not sure if there is any truth to this but I can see that it may be possible and that would kill the bottom end power.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

The Allison foil will be the best thing to do before you mess with all the other things. Like everyone has stated before THEY WORK.

hooken203

WOW SLOmofo I hope I didnt insult you by saying I think the foil is ugly. I will be sure and get those ugly powerpoles off there and get one of those lame *** foils on it.

Bobalouie

WOW SLOmofo I hope I didnt insult you by saying I think the foil is ugly. I will be sure and get those ugly powerpoles off there and get one of those lame *** foils on it.

Makin friends...

I wonder why everyone with an Allison is running some type of foil on their setup, if they are so lame? I dont run an Allison foil on mine. I run a Johnson foil, which is far uglier than the Allison. But, on my setup, it works the best, and all I care about is getting out of the hole. I dont care how it looks.

Like Slomofo said, function over form.

hooken203

Every once in a while you get some advise you dont need. I didnt see that every one with a XB21 Bassport pro first suggestion was a foil. I will probably get one but it will be the last thing I try.

xb03fs

Here is my deal on planing aids...are they necessary? No. Am I going to run and use every trick available even if un-needed or performance is only enhanced a little YES..If if is noticable DEFINATLY YES...

Why you ask? The same reason I bought an Allison in the first place I want every bit of performance out of what I have. PERIOD.

If without a foil is Ok and a foil is better...sign me up
If a without a skid planer is ok, but with is better ....sign me up
extra floation,if it is better, sign me up (been trying to find the perfect piece of ESP for a while)
If wedges would help me ...sign me up (currently full tuck hurts more than helps so I dont have wedges)

thats my opinion...lithium batteries when I can afford them I will have them.,..sign me UP..

I want the most outta my setup period the end, we all do or we would run Rangers..........

LakeAnna

Every once in a while you get some advise you dont need. I didnt see that every one with a XB21 Bassport pro first suggestion was a foil. I will probably get one but it will be the last thing I try.
Save yourself a bunch of headache and try it before you go thru all the other stuff. Just sayin... Good luck with it either way.

Better yet, Just call Darris and ask him.

Last edited:

whipper

I think it wasn't mentioned until the 3rd or 4th post about this because most performance boaters just assume everyone is running one? Every boat has there setup and with Allisons the foil and skid planner are part of the design of the hull hence why Allison specially designed them for his hulls. These pieces aren't just add if you want to. They are add if you want the best possible outcome with the hull. Guys with XB21s are running 100 mph with faster hole shots than any other Bass boats of there size. Im pretty sure those boats are running Foils and Skid Planners. There is no reason why your XB cant run into the 90,s with your motor. The only reason it wouldnt would be setup and mods. With the power Poles back there your going to need all the help you can get. You need clean unobstructed flow for that to happen from the pad back.

SLOmofo

Bob, that Johnson foil IS UGLY! ! ! ! . . . . . . . . . . . I have one on my Champion, because it works.

Another UGLY one is the drag plate that Noah makes, bigger than that Johnson plate and it has wings to boot. I just bought another one, just because it's ugly, not because it works, just because it's U G L Y! :big grin

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOW SLOmofo I hope I didnt insult you by saying I think the foil is ugly. I will be sure and get those ugly powerpoles off there and get one of those lame *** foils on it. "

No , you didn't insult me. If you noticed I ended it with IMHO (in my humble opinion) Opinions are like A$$ Holes, everyone has one and they all stink! That includes mine <;-)

The Allison board is made up of all sorts of people and just like any family there are ones you like and others you tolerate just to keep peace in the family.

PS: when you finally try one, IMHO, I think you'll like it.

Love and kiss's,
Gary

Allyfishing

Like I mentioned before, the Allison foil for the 3 liter worked so well on my Pro that I told Lee it should come standard on all pro's with merc 3 liters

Hooken, you stated something earlier that I think I read somewhere about the SHO and loss of power on hole shot and it had something to do with a condition causing an increase in RPM's which retarded the power to save the engine

Ill have to look for that again. I wonder if that's what is happening in your situation?

hooken203

Yamaha has always said to not run a vented prop on a SHO. I always have. 2 Tempest a Fury and a Bravo XS. All on a different boat. They have always said there was no need because the engine has good bottom end torque. Unlike a two stroke that can be very sensitive to exhaust back pressure and makes very little torque at low engine RPM. I have talked to another XB21 owner that has a SHO on his and he runs all 8 holes open.
I just got my prop back from Todd he made some adjustments to help the hole shot. I am now running 4 holes blocked I ran it today and the adjustments helped. I need to get more plugs I want to try it all holes blocked and see what happens.

Last edited:

Vance

That foil made no noticeable difference for me. Prosport/Promax is a different set up than yours but it would be an easy thing to try and see if it helps.
No one is gonna see it when ur boat is in the water