GS Setback

Jon

Supporting Member
Whoever rigged my boat did a terrible job with the electrical and plumbing. I cut 10' of each out tonight just at the gas tank. Anyway...

I have been trimming all the way to the high speed trim, still not enough. I put in some more setback, another 3 1/4", for a total of 12 3/4". I just used 2" spacers, and the actual transom spacer had another 1 1/4" of adjustment in it. If all goes well, and it feels like I'm heading in the right direction, I'll just buy a new transom spacer to set me back at 14" like all the other cool kids.

I'm running a 200 case (thanks Dave) tomorrow vs my sportmaster with the busted gear or bearing. I made a drawing of a carrier nut tool and it's being fab'd right now - I'm not paying $200 for a stupid spanner wrench. I'm also going to do some prop swapping... running a 27 trophy now, have a 28ET and a 28OT from hydromotive to test. More to come tomorrow.

whipper

Cant wait to hear some results. Should be faster for sure and drive nicer with the 200 with more setback. You can get away with less setback with more power but with less more seems to carry the hull better and not use as must trim for my setup anyway.

Jon

Supporting Member
Something everyone should check... fuel lines! My boat is an 04, and I would have thought the fuel lines were some of the newer ones which hold up somewhat to ethanol. Wrong. The line from the tank to the bulb to the motor is a shiny grey line, and the interior lining was complete mush. It had nearly completely blocked the bulb. The line is 5/16", and you only need about 3' to repair. I went back with some 5/16 high pressure (not needed, but had 25' of it) Goodyear fuel line. This is some of the best stuff you can get, but I will still keep an eye on it. I blew a solid teaspoon of junk out of the bulb and as I pulled line from the tank and union at the cowl, more came out.

xb03fs

If you can trim all the way out withou losing speed Dosent that mean the motor can come up a little? Raising the motor seemed to give more lift until it didn't when I had my xb2003...

Jon

Supporting Member
Michael, I got a solid 16mph out of those spacers! Not really. They did decrease the amount of trim necessary though. I think I will make the move to a full 14" of setback.

I liked both of the props, and they were both different. The 200XS is a dead silent motor most of the time - which is good and bad. The ET really let me hear the exhaust vs the Hydromotive or the Trophy I normally run. The ET was the fastest by nearly 2mph, but it was very twitchy feeling on the top end. The Hydromotive got me out of the hole really quick. I think if my pad were right, which I hope to correct soon, the Hydromotive would be the best all-around prop.

I brought up my collapsed fuel lines earlier, and I think I may have jinxed myself. I was turning about 3-400 less RPM's when I ran for the 30-40 minutes of testing Saturday. I need a way to test flow rate and pressure.

In the end, the 200 gearcase and 3.25" more setback ran at the same speed, just with a little less trim. Again, I think I need to work through my RPM/power issue.

Jon

Supporting Member
If you can trim all the way out withou losing speed Dosent that mean the motor can come up a little? Raising the motor seemed to give more lift until it didn't when I had my xb2003...
I'm running even right now. If I go up much more at level trim, the prop starts to blow out, but that was before I put the 14mph spacers in :)

whipper

I would drop the motor under the pad that will lift it..
Yep thats what I was thinking. I was having that trouble before and thought i was 1/4 below turned out to be over 1/4 above best i could tell. Dropped the motor and gained lots more speed with better bite and more trim. Seems most different props have there sweet spot. If you spend some time with each prop start at 3/8 below and record top speeds going up one bump or 1/8th at a time untill you loose speed 3-4 passes at each jack hight . Then you know were to put it when ya use that prop. If you have alot of props its best to write it down.

Jon

Supporting Member
I actually have ran as low as 1" below without much of a change at all. Do you think I would need to go any lower?

whipper

Chris said it. Thats a sweet setup for most props and speed runs solo. I lower the motor with passengers a 1/4 or so because of the needed leverage for an extra passenger up front. If your speed was the same at 1 inch below that just means you had more trim to go at 1/4 below,it shouldn't be as fast as 1/4 below or even. Even some times is to high depending on the prop like a trophy for instance. They like it lower than an ET as an example. Ones a semi surface and the other is more a surface running prop.

In my sig pic my motor was way to high. i was running a 25 trophy above the pad. I forgot what my marks were on the jack plate gauge. i was trying to air it out for the pic and was getting frustrated because the bow wasnt flying as high as I wanted. just after my buddy was finished taking the pic i realized it, but it was to late for more pics. I was 5 mph slower that high also with the trophy. i lowered it to 1/4 below and she picked up the speed and was like I was on the top floor of a high rise in comparison to that pic. Way less slip!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ziemer

Hell, I was gonna say, raise it up! Doh!

If you're 14" back, it should definitely be safe above the pad. I'm only 8 1/2" and a tick above on mine.

Also, where and how are you measuring prop height? Make sure the pad and propshaft are both level and you measure in front of the lip where it's flat and not the lip itself.