GS Load Carrying Prop

ziemer

Looking for input on a good load carrying prop for my Grand Sport. I usually run a 28" Hoss but it's not meant for 3-4 people in the boat. I need something that will pick the boat up when it's loaded down. I've heard good things about the Performance drag 4 and also a couple of Hydromotive props. We've been doing more and more river runs and the Hoss, while a great top end prop, just doesn't do the job with the family in the boat.

BTW, I've got a 2.5 260 15", with a Titus Sportmaster, and 7" of setback. (I've got a convertible plate and I'm thinking that moving the motor back a little will also help. ;))

Myron

don't be scared about trying like a Tempest or Trophy, it might surprise you. I have plenty if you want to try them, I live in Melbourne close to you.

whipper

Ya know how the saying goes call Todd. He seems to have some realy good new styles of props from what Ive been hearin. He has the same set up as you now Ziemer Im sure he said hes gone from his 225 to a 260 though he may have said 280? The nice thing is he has a GS so he could tell ya exactly what he has that would work best from his invantory. Who knows mabe he has a double top secret prop hell letya try? I love my DR4 with my 225PM but it doesnt have top end Im looking for in a load carying prop. JR realy likes his Chopper11 for alround boating. He uses a 30 chopper11 for skiing and everything with a 225!! {Igota try one of those on my wish list too}. The one I think after talking to Todd is the 15inch IVXOB. He likes this one on his GS it carrys a load great and ya dont scrub to much off the top!! Thats what im looking for.You could prop it for 7500 and still turn a 25 or 26 ill bet. Im sure hell jump in this post and correct me if Im wrong. 2fast has tried this prop he says its the best GS prop he has ever tried. And Todd has a good return policy 30 days if your not satisfied. Ya hear guy talk about how they love there props and myself included with the DR4 but when ya read the post of the guys who have run this prop there extatic! So when the ice up here is starting to melt Ill be tryen one out too. James

froggy

Ziemer,

Don't be afraid to try (buy) a, brand new, Merc Chopper II in either 26 or 28 pitch. You may not even need to change your setback! Awesome efficiency on my XB 2003 (5000 RPM = 67 mph and 6000 RPM = 81 mph, 28 pitch). This thing lifts, but the downside is a loss of efficiency above 7500 rpm.

Just my $.02

froggy

Allison's Allison

tried many differant props on my GS over the years and also think the chopper II is the best for a load. Also really like the way it handled on the big end.

Last edited:

ziemer

Zeimer,
Call me we can get you something to try.330-425-3629

Todd

Thanks Todd, I may have to take you up on that. ;) I think we met a couple of years back on the River Run up in Jasper.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
AA-
I know of 2 gs's in SD. Are you the guy at New Ulm drags last year (Sioux Falls) or the guy near Vermillion?

Allison's Allison

AA-
I know of 2 gs's in SD. Are you the guy at New Ulm drags last year (Sioux Falls) or the guy near Vermillion?
I'm the guy in Vermillion. I think I remember meeting you once. You stopped by my buddies shop years ago. He's a greek guy, had a 2002 and a red GS at the time and I had the blue GS sitting there. I've since sold my blue GS, bought his red GS and recently sold that and now have an Ally drag.

wally II

I don't think he is either. I am the Sioux Falls SD Grand Sport owner that was at the New Ulm event and I believe the Vermillion guy goes by "Allisons Allison".
Anyway, for what it's worth, I like the Trophy for a decent load carrying prop for the Grand Sport. Top end is mediocre but, great for pullin skiers and excellent hole shot.
Msethsmile, you have the Allison XB correct that was at the New Ulm race, correct? Mike

2Fast2Pass

Have a 26 and a 24 drag 4 you can try any time. Once you give it a try I bet you will buy one. TED

propmanjay

I have an re4 28" good for a load ran 106 on my SS but has too much tail lift for me. On my other V it ran 98 it weighed about 850 lbs no pad.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Allison's Allison--It should have reead 'of' not 'off'. Yea, I'm the same guy that stopped by the shop, that was several Allisons ago. Anyway, my re3 did sling a blade but only after 8 years and a zillion hun runs. Great prop. I now have a 29 that works great on a xb2003, same hull more or less.

Wally II--yeah, I'm the xb2003 at the races. 2 years ago I won the class, last year it was 2 and on the trailer. Oh well. I hold you partially responsible for being on the trailer so fast. (that's a joke). I'm still not sure why they put me in Racer II. A full weight xb2003/225pm vs a Venom/280/electronics. Hmmm. We're going to try to get to Sioux City (a Vegas, SS, and me). I'll let you know. We normally just tent on a bank/beach. One guy motels it. AA-you're invited too.

RE3 is a good choice if it is not thinned too much.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Ziemer--
You mentioned a Hoss. A Triton I would suck (no rake) for loads but a Hyperdrive would be a dandy. I traded away mine years ago and have regretted it ever since.

JR

Jeff,
My best all-around so Far is the ChopperII. I only lose about 2-3 MPH GPS for each additional adult I put in it.

I bought a Mazco RE3 with my rig and ended up blowing out twice and coasting to a stop from 80+ BACKWARDS. That is how I learned to do intentional bat-turns. I sold it back to Wayne for next to nothing.

Jeff, I have 2 "fair shape" 30" ChopperIIs and 2 brand new ones. The one I have on there now is still in pretty good shape if you want to borrow it. I'll be switching it out before this season.
They get on a plane with a little effort with 5 full size adults, but get great gas mileage.
JR

ziemer

Ziemer--
You mentioned a Hoss. A Triton I would suck (no rake) for loads but a Hyperdrive would be a dandy. I traded away mine years ago and have regretted it ever since.
I've actually got both, and they both suck for a load. banghead

I talked with Todd at Hydromotive last week and he's sending me a Quad IV-X. After talking with him for awhile it seemed like a good alternative.

JR, I think you need a couple more Chopper II's :beer: I may have to try one of them some day. :wink

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Ziemer-
The Hyperdrive I had carried loads real well. Go figure. This lends to the saying, "There is no such thing as a bad prop, only a bad application." When you test the Hydromotive, please post results.