GS 2003.... wants to roll with driver only:

marchettih2o

Hey, I have seen various topics on this...but not a lot of detail.I have a 260/sportmaster R/H, propshaft even with the bottom of the pad, and ran various Hoss28/allison cut 28 etc...hyd steering...tight mid section.and at 70...it wants to pull hard and down to the right with just myself in it. Have only had it out twice, but curious if this is normal for it being out of balance inboared to outboard. Battery is on the port side...everything else in bilge..just have not had much time for testing this spring so far, I know I need some seat time, but this really surprised me...never had a 13 or 16 R do that, but of course they were center steering...thanks in advance, George

procomp

I ran 2 bags of lead shot behind the panel even with the passenger seat and a 1/4" below the pad with similar props and a sporty and it worked very well.

ziemer

What you need is a little hotty about 5' tall that weighs right at 100 lbs to ride with you in the passenger seat. That will fix the lean and much more. :big grin :big grin

DOUBLE J

This is my findings: if you weigh around 190-200 add approx. 65#'s to left side gunnel. If have ice chest put on left side and adjust weight accordingly. Once you get used to driving it, go up on the motor height some (anywhere from 1/4" to maybe 1". Do adjustments in 1/4" increments). You should be able to feel when boat starts to feel "squirelly" or starts needing to much trim than go down a 1/8th" or 1/4". I run mine a lot by myself and love it.

bassracr

Where are you located George ? Maybe someone close by on here can go for a ride with you and check it out . With two trips in the boat my guess is the up button to your trim is going to cure this problem. Takes a little seat time to get the feel . The proper trim position feels awkward and squirrelly and flighty when first starting to drive these

njj502

What you need is a little hotty about 5' tall that weighs right at 100 lbs to ride with you in the passenger seat. That will fix the lean and much more. :big grin :big grin
How old was she when she started driving, Jeff? (Assuming your daughter) Hunter was a bit over 2... :shock:

Lean to right is normal when solo & no weight. Getcha 25lb bag of lead shot or two. My battery is port along with 10-15lbs of other crap. Trim pump mounted on port side of the bilge. When I'm by myself I put 25 shot, slide anchor and all other bs in the boat on the outside of the pass seat and I need a bit more. I'm 200lbs

Last edited:

whipper

Where are you located George ? Maybe someone close by on here can go for a ride with you and check it out . With two trips in the boat my guess is the up button to your trim is going to cure this problem. Takes a little seat time to get the feel . The proper trim position feels awkward and squirrelly and flighty when first starting to drive these
Thats what I was thinking to. At 60-65mph you need to trim the boat up onto the pad then she will {fly} straight. problems going to be the balancing her there and at faster speeds until you get the seat time to prevent her from moving side to side. Be real safe and carfull always were your vest and lanyard....ALWAYS:beer:
When you get that feeling at those slower speeds sorta like when you take off and untill you trim up she feels like she wants to {dig} in to the right getting on plane? thats the same thing happening at that faster speed but less pronounced because you do have less hull in the water but still to much is what it sounds like.

Pluss as mentioned setback,counter wieght in the passenger gunnel to offset your weight so shes balanced to start with will all make a huge factor on how easy she will be to fly straight when you get there. Really think about what your doing. Its all about the balance and trim with the proper setup with Alison's above 65. You can write a book about all the little factors so read all what everyone says. It will all be pertinent to you driving fast and safe sooner.:beer:

marchettih2o

All good info, Thanks...I like the idea of the 100 lb hottie...will have to work on that...I do have 8" setback...170 lb driver...does the counter weight have to be up front of can it be efficient in the battery box compartment on the port side???....this is all being considered with an empty boat at this point, no ice chest/anchor,,,etc. thanks for all the great replys guys...george

LakeAnna

I'm 180 and usually about 40lbs will do the trick. I put the weight in the gunnel just in front of the back seat. Take notice of how the boat sits when your floating by yourself and move it accordingly. I run mine pretty much empty less the things you have to keep on board.

Like yours battery and oil tank (225X) are rigged to the port side. I have a 12 setback and run at even to 1/4 below with Hoss Triton or cut chopper.

Have fun and keep it safe!

Last edited:

SLOmofo

"...does the counter weight have to be up front of can it be efficient in the battery box compartment on the port side???...."

Depends...... Once you get the boat balanced side to side then you can move the weight forward and aft, split it, add, subtract. Best is to not have to carry extra weight and/but move necessary things around in the boat.

Think of it this way. Weight in the center(keel) and at the center of balance (fore aft) is just that, weight. Now as balancing weight moves away from that point, it's distance adds leverage. Numbers out of a hat: 15 lbs. at your feet is like half that attached to the bow eye.

whipper

Gary brings up a very good point. i tried weight forward in the compartment beside the front passenger seat. Didnt work as good for me because Im 230lbs. I put it were Lake anna has his and way better. If I was even heavier I would probably need to put it even further back to off set my weight like in the battery compartment. Your 180 so #1 you wont need as much counter as I do and placement is trial and error. you also have less setback than some. Your setup is more like Ziemers on hear. He runs 9inches setback. Hes close to your weight also. Most run 10-12 inches of setback im at 10. Todd, Ziemer,and Americans GS,s run the fastest with a 260 all 103-106. Todds at 10 cant remember were Americans counter weight was or setback probably 10 or 12 at the most also. Todd runs a little weight forward.

Because its a PITA to put the weight way forward in that gunnel from the little hole from under the bow. Or even worse trying to fish it out of there is you didnt like it there. I would for now just put your 40lbs or so in the gunnel beside the bench. As you get better at driving her and can run 90mph all day long without a wobble then you can start experimenting with weight placement. Your not going to notice for or aft until the decals can get a little dirty. :wink There is a formula for determining weight to fulcrum point.{center of Balance} All Alison's are designed to work on this formula. Teeter totter effect. Everything from how much gas you have to setback,driver and motor weight work on this for optimum performance. But thats another story once you ready to go for max speeds. There is lots of room for error up to 90-95mph within reason for counter weight placement. So just have fun and practice playing with your trim to free up the hull. Dont go past 90 for little bit because comming off speed is the delicate part. You need to let off the gas very slowly when your above 80mph or even less some times. The faster you go the more delicate this becomes. Getting theres the easy part but keep in mind you also NEVER NEVER want to over trim!!!!!!! The best thing you can do is go drive with an experience Allison driver to show you and tell you all the does and don'ts in your boat. You can gain 2 years of trying all your self in just one good day on the water testing with an experienced driver beside you showing you. I would HIGHLY recommend this.

Last edited:

DOUBLE J

I like to put the weight in the side gunnel but I shove it all the way up even with the passenger seat. The way I look at is, the more farther the weight is, the less weight you need. When I drag race it, I put the weight all the way in the front of the glove box by taking glove box out and dropping it in. It's a pain in the *** to get out but it helps in the holeshot. I'm using a 25# battery instead of a regular battery (45-47# battery) so this is probably why I add a little more weight than some of you are. I run usually around 104-106 gps mph pretty much every time I go out by myself. Gps recall is showing 104 from last solo outing. I've also ran these speeds with a passenger quite a few times. I believe it will run around 109 in perfect conditions by myself.

whipper

Whats your weight and setback DoubleJ? so its DoubleJ ,Ziemer,Todd, American running 104-106.:big grin Im sure theres a few more I never mentioned. :big grin

DOUBLE J

11" set back (hyd. jack plus bracket), I weigh around 190. I use two steel bird shot bags (one is 25# and other 30#), I usually run with a soft ice chest full of liquid refreshments behind front passenger seat , so I add or delete weight based on my predicted thirst level for the day..lol

2003225X

I like to put the weight in the side gunnel but I shove it all the way up even with the passenger seat. The way I look at is, the more farther the weight is, the less weight you need. When I drag race it, I put the weight all the way in the front of the glove box by taking glove box out and dropping it in. It's a pain in the *** to get out but it helps in the holeshot. I'm using a 25# battery instead of a regular battery (45-47# battery) so this is probably why I add a little more weight than some of you are. I run usually around 104-106 gps mph pretty much every time I go out by myself. Gps recall is showing 104 from last solo outing. I've also ran these speeds with a passenger quite a few times. I believe it will run around 109 in perfect conditions by myself.
Very impressive numbers with that setup. What were you running with your ss and 280? Comp or excel?

marchettih2o

I like the idea of "Shot Bag" placement...being a reloader...that I have plenty of. I will work with what I have as far as setback and engine height, as the height seems in the ballpark from what I am hearing. Also, I had an opportunity this weekendto take a buddy with Ally SS experience, to set in it....it ws going to be him by himself then me unless he needed to make some solo weight changes....however that fell through when I had to work the weekend. I will be taking a long weekend off for Easter, so when that is over I will be able to report on what I have learned and where I am at. I like the idea of setting in the boat at the dock in ships position with only me, and someone on the out side taking waterline observations/measurements....balance it there first. I think that would be a good starting point, and try to visually balance it before I go out...that might tell a lot!!! This is also, a good thread as I now know who some of the other GS owners are...thanks again and keep it coming...George

DOUBLE J

Very impressive numbers with that setup. What were you running with your ss and 280? Comp or excel?
I had a Excel side slide built. I had the 280 on that for 7 or so years than I sold the SS and bought a GS. The SS was at least 10 mph faster probably 15. I ran 115 with two sitting side by side. Never did run that hard with one while center steered. I think the boat had 120 in it tho. I did take the 280 off of the first GS I had and put a stock 200XRI on it and it would run right @ 90. So I would say a 280 is worth about 15 mph over a 200 on a GS. The GS I have now seems to be a little lighter and I'm running a 280SS on it which I like a lot over the 20" mid.