Getting the new 2003 ready...

Ocktane

Just had to share a text conversation with silverbullet02 when i sent him this pic today:

Brian: Holy crap, that's the longest tuner I've ever seen!
Nick: Lol, that's what she said :)
Brian: I was honestly expecting that after I hit the send button and read what I wrote, lol.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing a hack saw won't fix. I cut one kind of like that to about the length of a 200 tuner on my old 2.0. Brian drove it once this summer, he will tell you it ran on up a bit better than it used to.

You could just get one off a 200 that would probaby be a bit better.

aaronmt

Just had to share a text conversation with silverbullet02 when i sent him this pic today:

Brian: Holy crap, that's the longest tuner I've ever seen!
Nick: Lol, that's what she said :)
Brian: I was honestly expecting that after I hit the send button and read what I wrote, lol.
Sure hope you boys arent sending many more pics back and forth.:LMAO:

Ocktane

Just thought I'd get an overall opinion on this while the powerhead is off the boat. If I remove the can to give the motor a throatier growl will it be overly obnoxious for Morgan and I when we are just cruising around? I've read all the posts about it so sorry to repost the question but I am anyhow! Thanks all! Shouldn't be long before I'm putting the boat in the water finally!!

suicidealli

Cut the tuner, and chit can the liner, let that biotch be heard a little... Ideling trimmed down won't sound any different. Just running on plane. Still won't be loud. If you drill relief holes in the bottom of the can, then it will start making some noise...... Nothing sounds better than a beefy 2.5......JMO

Roy

Ocktane

haha, thanks for the input Roy! You wouldn't do it again Dave? Was it too loud in your opinion?

bassracr

Oktane, while you are draining all the fuel out of it your tank you may want to consider getting into the tank and making sure there is nothing in there that shouldnt be. and your fuel system is all proper. You can pull up a post by big red alli and see what i mean.to me its worth the extra effort just for the peace of mind. 2 strokes dont like fuel starvation problems at all.

fnshrmaster

Oktane, while you are draining all the fuel out of it your tank you may want to consider getting into the tank and making sure there is nothing in there that shouldnt be. and your fuel system is all proper. You can pull up a post by big red alli and see what i mean.to me its worth the extra effort just for the peace of mind. 2 strokes dont like fuel starvation problems at all.
I agree, Just did all that. The tank had lots of crap in it. The pickup tube was falling apart. You would not believe the amount of garbage that can get in a fuel tank in 15 years of use. Good luck with your new rig! Kurt

suicidealli

Sure not a bad idea.. At least take a good look in there. Replace all the plumbing. I replaced my pick up a few weeks ago. Put a new 90* and soldered in a copper line for a pick up. Easy job. If you can't get a soft/sweeping 90 drill a hard 90 out. I drilled mine bigger to except the bigger copper line. I also put a slight angle at the end of it to get it closer to the back of the tank.

Roy

Last edited:

Ocktane

10-4 fellas, thanks for the advice, I'll give her a good check and possibly replace some plumbin'

suicidealli

I have always been against water separators on high rpm motors, but today with the ethanol, and higher chance of water I dont know which way is better... If your fuel pick up is laying in the bottom of the tank, and there is water in the tank, there is no doubt it is going to suck it up in a hurry..... On the other hand the water separator puts tiny air bubbles in the fuel. I have chosen not to run the water separator, and let the pump run for a few minutes before I fire it up. At least if there is water it will be thrown back into the tank, and mayb distrubed some... Just my theory.... I know you promax guy with stock fuel systems don't have that option, but with a promax I would run a water separator unless you are turning 8,000 rpms or more.

With the fuel we are running it has changed what we use to know. Richard has the right idea with av fuel. Everything for air planes is regulated better. I also agree with Richard run the best fuel you can get. 87 oct is crap fuel.... Our cars are better set up for it, than
Our engines, but still is crap fuel....
If nothing else replace all the fuel line and start off with good line, don't buy the mercury crap gray fuel line. I heard the gray with blue writing is ok, but I still don't use it.. I buy ethanol EFI fuel line, and it isn't cheap.......... I want to say 7 bucks a foot. Run great filters... I haven't had any issues, but a lot of people have and are having issues.......

Look you got me writing a book again........

Roy

bassracr

I hear what Roy is saying ,but With my setup I have to be realistic with how I use it . I have an aluminum tank and with pump gas in Ohio I am going to have more ethanol in my tank and more condensation than I would like, and coupled with longer periods between trips to the lake than I would like to have ... Hence the water seperating filter ..That's my reality , if I had a plastic tank and/ or Better fuel and more frequent trips to the lake I would have a different setup. The way I use my boat ,I set it up the way I think it works best for me in my semi retarded best theory appalachian engineered ,don't use it as much as I'd like to ..but run the dog piss out of it when I can situation . I have had my boat for a long time .i have had a lot of different setups and motors . I guess we all have to figure out what our goals and expectations are and set our boats up accordingly .but anyway .... A clean tank is a good start

suicidealli

I hear what Roy is saying ,but With my setup I have to be realistic with how I use it . I have an aluminum tank and with pump gas in Ohio I am going to have more ethanol in my tank and more condensation than I would like, and coupled with longer periods between trips to the lake than I would like to have ... Hence the water seperating filter ..That's my reality , if I had a plastic tank and/ or Better fuel and more frequent trips to the lake I would have a different setup. The way I use my boat ,I set it up the way I think it works best for me in my semi retarded best theory appalachian engineered ,don't use it as much as I'd like to ..but run the dog piss out of it when I can situation . I have had my boat for a long time .i have had a lot of different setups and motors . I guess we all have to figure out what our goals and expectations are and set our boats up accordingly .but anyway .... A clean tank is a good start

I agree with a aluminum tank, and fuel sitting in it for awhile, I see no other choice for you. I would add you prolly going to change filters more than anyone else too... Cheap insurance considering you could hurt a motor....

Roy

Ocktane

Dropping the boat off Tuesday morn at Hoffman's Marine to get the motor back on! I'm so excited! Like a kid waiting for Christmas...