Getting the new 2003 ready...

Ocktane

Hey all. This will probably be an ongoing thread, fyi. While Dennis is rebuilding my motor I'm getting the boat ready so there will be no delay once shes ready for the water. Here's what I got on the rear end right now, whatcha think?
I never had a working speedo on the XTB so I don't know, does that pickup affect the water enough to make an impact on handling or speed? Also, I'm definitely thinking that transducer location has to be changed from the previous owner's chosen location, what you think? I'm thinking about just getting a puck and epoxying it in the bilge. I know when I originally (and stupidly) installed my side imaging ducer in a similiar spot on my XTB it was like glueing a water ski to the back of the boat as far as performance went, lol!

Ocktane

Another question, does this setback look good?

Looks pretty standard to me so I'm thinking yes? Only asking cause I know the previous owner had posted awhile back in regards to handling and driving issues with this particular rig. Just wanna get all my ducks in a row before I have a running motor back on her (realizing that I will have to go through a break in before I can start playing).

GotMyAlly

I'd move the 'ducer, and I think you'll probably end up needing more setback. ~14" is about standard for a 2003.

aaronmt

Nick order up the jackplate Brian has it works well and isnt to much.The speedo more then likely will kick up at speed.Im not sure bout tranducer.When you order the jackplate make sure you calll and tell them its for allison as well as get the skid planer,it really does help with qashing the motor down and getting out of the hole.Looks great.

Ocktane

+1

I mounted my hummingbird SI transducer inside my jackplate. (At the bottom) I can get a pic if you'd like.
The SI transducer is on my jackplate, I learned that lesson on my XTB, I was just curious about that little one, I'll prolly get a puck for inside the boat. Also prolly just gonna get rid of that speedo pickup and not use the speedo. I'll have to look into a bigger jackplate, I'll give Brian a call about it.

JOEALLY

The SI transducer is on my jackplate, I learned that lesson on my XTB, I was just curious about that little one, I'll prolly get a puck for inside the boat. Also prolly just gonna get rid of that speedo pickup and not use the speedo. I'll have to look into a bigger jackplate, I'll give Brian a call about it.
Cool, my speedo pickup has been eliminated - it's useless anyway. Make sure the holes are filled good.

Tim Bostic

Good advise so far.......
Yes, forget about the speedo pickup & fill the holes.
Yes, move the transducer inside the boat.
As far as jackplate, we've tried 9", 10" and 12".
It's a matter of dialing everything in with what you've got. If you want to try a different setback, then I'd go with a 12" or 14"?

fenwayfear

Hey all. This will probably be an ongoing thread, fyi. While Dennis is rebuilding my motor I'm getting the boat ready so there will be no delay once shes ready for the water. Here's what I got on the rear end right now, whatcha think?
I never had a working speedo on the XTB so I don't know, does that pickup affect the water enough to make an impact on handling or speed? Also, I'm definitely thinking that transducer location has to be changed from the previous owner's chosen location, what you think? I'm thinking about just getting a puck and epoxying it in the bilge. I know when I originally (and stupidly) installed my side imaging ducer in a similiar spot on my XTB it was like glueing a water ski to the back of the boat as far as performance went, lol!
Well I can tell u from experience that the ducer will effect your handling. That is exactly how my 003 looked when I got it. I went to a rapid jack 14" plate and did away with the speedo and ducer. The boat drives much better now. I not yet relocated the ducers, but I to am going to put the SI on the port side of the plate and the standard ducer on under the port side middle of the plate. If get both ducer within a foot of each other u will have the same image on both screens.

suicidealli

My "ducer" is mounted to the back of the pad. There was already a mount there so i used it. The ducer is higher than the pad, but I can't tell a difference in handeling. Not sure if water is hitting it on the top end tho...

Roy

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I were you, I'd try it like it is and see what happens. The transducer will probably need to be moved, but who knows? Like Roy, it may work. The speedo pickup can stay or go. I'd run it and see what it does. Run it, and if it doesn't flip up on its own, flip it up and run it again and see if you notice a difference. Same goes for the transducer, run it, flip it up and run it again.

The biggest thing is see is that the transducer bracket is hanging past the bottom of the boat, and that's no good.

As far as the jackplate goes, again, I'd run it like it is at first anyway, and if you feel it needs more, put a bigger plate on. Another thing to think about going back further, go look at the stbd side cable steering cable on the XTB.

You should give a Brian a call because he just got home from work and is off for 2 days.

SLOmofo

Get rid of both those things, they are in the way of the water. Put a puck in the boat and the Big Unit on the jack plate, use a switch for choice. Your fish finder has GPS in it doesn't it! Get a GPS speedo with a tattle tale.

Set back, less is better, depends on ability to carry the weight and prop you normally use. Less set back = better hole shot, more = better weight carrying ability.
Try it first like Brian said, then change only one thing at a time. Take notes and report back.:big grin

GotMyAlly

You don't have to buy a puck transducer......you can epoxy that skimmer style transducer into the hull and it will work just fine.

Ocktane

You don't have to buy a puck transducer......you can epoxy that skimmer style transducer into the hull and it will work just fine.
I figured as much, just wasn't positive, sweet! Always looking to save a dime on sumpin! I'm gonna do that, try the speedo out as is (just to see) and roll with it. I won't be flying for awhile anyhow so it'll be fine. Once my motor is broke in and I can start playing again (and when I got a little more wiggle room financially) I'll explore the jackplate options and maybe give Titus a call about that CLE... we shall see. Right now my challenge is getting all my tackle into the 2003, lol!

Jay Martin

I second the skimmer in the hull, works great for me. There is a tray just inside what I think is called "inspection hole", remove the plate in front of the livewell and take a look at the bottom of the hull, the tray is installed for the transducer by the factory.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nick, first I have to say I am happy for you. BUT, you are driving me crazee! Here I sit waiting for a couple more weeks to go by before I can pick up my xb2002. You are looking at this and looking at that. I can't even see my boat yet. :(

Keep up the good work.

Ocktane

The only ducer I've ever mounted to the hull was the puck for my humminbird on the XTB. For epoxyin' the skimmer to the hull would some 4200 work alright? I can't remember what I used on the h-bird, i think it came with a lil pack of epoxy. ive got a tube of 4200 at home I think... or maybe its 3200...

GotMyAlly

I'd go to the hardware store and pick up some epoxy. Sonar doesn't travel well through silicone sealant. May work, but it won't be as sensitive.

SLOmofo

No silicon, Epoxy. Epoxy without metal in it (JB Weld has metal). Mix the epoxy but don't whip air into it. Clean the area well and apply the epoxy to the puck. Press the puck to the hull at a slight angle so the air can escape as it cones in contact. Before you start have something down in the hole that you will weight the puck down with.
A transducer works well if it is as one with the hull. SOLID. No AIR bubbles. No spongy silicon.