Average seat time learning to drive

wasmeneh

Well took my 95 XB 2003 w/ 300 drag out for a second time today. Gee I was wondering why she wouldn't come on plane very well. I guess it helps to put the drain plug in....LOL I also know that my newly installed bilge pump works.

74 GPS at around 6300 with a Mazco RE4. That's all I was willing to try, Very hot with a some chop on the water. I wonder what the 26 RE4 or the 28 RE3 would be like. No problem with a hole shot with the 28.

Boy is this motor a drinker, burned 11.5 gallons and my guage said I only 1/3 full, before I filled her back up, I thought it was full when I started, oh well. Did all the 2003 have the same 30 gal tank?

Mike

thegoop

We did measure the prop shaft at even and used a sharpie on the jp two years ago. I did it again with my new gauges to take note of a calibration point. I have never done it super precisely like you guys are saying. I have a power jp and i am not familiar with the adjustment nuts. What am I missing here? I just bump up or down using my gauge as the reference from even. I did run today with the jp a bit lower and was surprised I had to back off the trim. It was choppy and it got a bit squirrelly at 70. But I also removed my bobs foil, my windscreen and my troller. There were three of us and I moved a passenger from port to behind me to balance. I am learning mostly by feel. I love my boat.

allimax

Let me re-vise something on that method of checking where the prop shaft is in relation to the pad. Get a long 6" level and level it on the floor first along the centerline of the boat were you need to take the measurements. Concrete garage floors aren't level!!!!:banghead Mine was off almost an 1" over that 6' area. Back down with the motor. Looks like it was originally only about 1/2" below the pad. One more reason to save up for a hydraulic jack plate.

David Shook

Whipper,
Good to hear from you my friend, I don't get a chance to get on much, but always a pleasure to see you on the box, hope the ice has thawed enough for you to run the entire length of the pond, I don't mean to be short on some of my replies, but you and I can tell people how to drive , but it is like a bicycle , you may bust your *** a few times , but ya'll know when it comes to you, just like swimming , once you get you got it! Now I sound like Yogi LOL!
It's a feel , don't give up , and I promise it will come to you , Take it slow and start easing up , next thing you know you'll be 100 mph +
Call me anytime Whipper, Running the ECDBA ODBA circuit right now , damn sure ain't the best drag racer out there, we run Pro Gas with Ray Leach and Stovall and I feel fortunate to even be close to these boys , but I still love hauling ***.

Call anytime,
Shook
828-693-8146

thegoop

Well I hit 75 two days ago and 77 today. I don't honestly know how I went from washing the sides to holding on the pad in such a short time after spending a long time trying to get on the pad. I have tried to learn by feel and could not believe I was doing that speed. I still need to spend more time on set up.

BGohr

I used to teach people to drive a V Bottom by taking it out on the Lake. What you need to do is make long gradual left turns, the boat always falls to the right first so when you just make a gradual left it makes it easier, then just keep going straighter and straighter, all of a sudden you just end up getting it. One very important thing to remember is never let the wheel t go to the right, when you are counter steering go from center to the left and back to center, when ytou "saw" the wheel back and fourth you just make it worse

patches

I used to teach people to drive a V Bottom by taking it out on the Lake. What you need to do is make long gradual left turns, the boat always falls to the right first so when you just make a gradual left it makes it easier, then just keep going straighter and straighter, all of a sudden you just end up getting it. One very important thing to remember is never let the wheel t go to the right, when you are counter steering go from center to the left and back to center, when ytou "saw" the wheel back and fourth you just make it worse
Thats about as good advice as there is. I was trying to help a buddy learn to drive his Bullet, looked over at him and noticed him letting the wheel go right. He'd lose it every time he did it

thegoop

Yes I totally agree, that is what I learned was an easier way to feel what the boat is doing. As soon as you go right thinking you are counter acting something you make it worse. This seems like a dumb question but now that I can stay on the pad in a straight line, how do I turn right? Turning slightly left on the pad is not so bad for the reasons described above. Another dumb question is what radius can one safely attempt at speed. Obviously higher speed means less radius but I am a bit afraid to turn in any direction when at speed. Do you guys come off the pad to make say a sweeping 90" turn?

xb03fs

Seat time going right takes time for sure at least it did for me

SmallJaw

I'm like you Cuz. If I try to make a turn at speed I'll be spending some seat time alright. I'll be spending alot of time cleaning the crap out of my seat!:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO:

xb03fs

I can turn left or right in the 80s now it will come and left should be fairly easy its the right turns that you better pay attention during

thegoop

I got my boat back and hit 79.9 tonight with the 24 trophy at about 6500. I was at 76.5 foot to the floor and started bumping the trim but i chickened out even though at that point I really wanted to go .1 miles faster. Two guys and a full fishing load. Oh, and I turned right.

njj502

"Had to" chase my buddy down yesterday in his 28' Sunsation and included a fairly long sweeping right that gets tight @ the end. That'll get your attention when the channel marker gets in your line of travel! We caught him pretty easy as he was having a fuel issue yesterday, I'd bet its going to get a twin turbo LSx over the winter!

90 5.0

Yes I totally agree, that is what I learned was an easier way to feel what the boat is doing. As soon as you go right thinking you are counter acting something you make it worse. This seems like a dumb question but now that I can stay on the pad in a straight line, how do I turn right? Turning slightly left on the pad is not so bad for the reasons described above. Another dumb question is what radius can one safely attempt at speed. Obviously higher speed means less radius but I am a bit afraid to turn in any direction when at speed. Do you guys come off the pad to make say a sweeping 90" turn?
I had always heard about how good these boats could corner, and without thinking about it went around a 90deg right turn in the river around 75is, not flying top speed by any means but all the way up on pad for sure.

It started around the corner perfect and then grabbed real hard left and almost threw me out of the boat, I get off of the throttle enough to let it "sit down" on the pad more now before making hard corners, now long gradual ones are fine, but it's not going to make a 90 deg turn all the way up on pad safely, of at least not the way i'm driving it...

I'm made that same corner in the 70's in my skeeters for over 20 years, but they don't get anywhere near as high on pad as an ally, you can't just go flying around a corner in an XB all they way up on pad..

xb03fs

Maybe it's the hydro Ot or maybe i have the perfect amount of pad lip but I can make some pretty decent river turns in the 80s and my top speed all but one time is in the 80s. I just bump it down a bump or to of the trim. I think the trick is keeping the nose up and dragging just enough of the pad to let it turn and make sure the prop stays hooked up. I like to make u turns in the 40s like jet skis

I wouldn't get out if the throttle in a turn either slow down before or don't do it slow down with trim getting out of the throttle is probably what let's the nose drop and grab

Last edited:

SmallJaw

I've been practicing turns in the 60's and low 70's for a while now. Not any big scary moments as of yet but I'd not try anything over low 70's for a while. I can tell that the prop and pad are way up there when I hit hit high 70's, low 80's, and the brain screams stop but the balls scream go:argue!

90 5.0

Maybe it's the hydro Ot or maybe i have the perfect amount of pad lip but I can make some pretty decent river turns in the 80s and my top speed all but one time is in the 80s. I just bump it down a bump or to of the trim. I think the trick is keeping the nose up and dragging just enough of the pad to let it turn and make sure the prop stays hooked up. I like to make u turns in the 40s like jet skis

I wouldn't get out if the throttle in a turn either slow down before or don't do it slow down with trim getting out of the throttle is probably what let's the nose drop and grab
yeah, trimmed down some on not so tight turns is fine, 90deg turns all the way up on pad i wouldnt try again lol

At 40 i can make crazy sharp turns in the bayou by my house

I think i've got a go pro vid somewhere, let me see if i can find it..