Average seat time learning to drive

SmallJaw

I know I have to put some seat time in to learn how to really get the most out of my XB21 Bassport. My question is sort of a hard one to answer as about all of you don't know what my skill levels are to start with etc. But, just for conversation if nothing else, if I'm an above average driver who has run Rangers, Tritons, etc. in the 70's for many years, how long do you realistically think it will take me to get to where I can really start to fly my boat? JFYI, first time out by myself I ran it 77 in some semi-rough water on the river with no issues. This thing has so much power it would be a crying shame to never let her loose some while I'm having a little fun. I just want to live to tell about it!:LMAO:

xb03

It took me about 6 or 7 trips to the lake. Setup and balance are the key, to making the learning curve easier and faster.

M-Wiggy

It also took about six trips to the lake, I was washing decals untill one day it just clicked !!!! then I had to learn to land one without a wobble...That was no problem...Just wear safty gear and enjoy

Tim Bostic

There have been a few that never learned to drive theirs.
They had the attitude that a v-bottom should run rubrail to rubrail...... and if it wasn't, you didn't know "how to drive it"?????????? WOW!!!!

I've taught many people how to drive their Allison's over the years. It seems easier to teach someone that's never been in a performance boat before..... most people try to overdrive an Allison.... you must get the "feel" of the boat and make small adjustments before the boat gets out of hand.... if you try to react to the boat, you're always "behind" and it's very difficult to get ahead of it.... sometimes it happens to me when I'm not paying attention & all I can do is let off the gas to slow down slightly and then back into it.

Seat time is the way to go & one day it will just "click" and you'll wonder why you had a hard time driving it?

One problem that will keep someone from never being a good driver is SETUP!
If the boat is not dialed-in, it is very difficult to make it look easy.

I like too look at a customers boat/setup and can determine most problems in 5 minutes or less..... if everything looks good, take them to the lake ..... drive the boat & show them it's NOT a boat issue and then give them a short lesson in driving.

If I can help in any way, feel free to contact me at the shop.

Bobalouie

It took me 3 hours of run time to go from wobbly at 55 mph to arrow straight at 90. Like others have said, setup is the key. Mine already had a modded sporty and a blueprinted pad when I got it, so I am sure that made the learning curve much quicker. You are already in the upper 70's your first time out, once you get comfortable driving that speed, going to upper 80's is no big deal. It just takes getting used to.

SmallJaw

I truly appreciate the help and advice. I'm surely a novice on fast boats no doubt. I took it out today and ran it a little while again. I hit 80 this trip but it sure was an adventure. At times I felt like I was all over the place. I'm positive I am over driving the boat. When Ray Reaves demo'd the boat for me, with 3 guys in the boat we easily hit 83 and probably could have ran high 80's with no problem. Ray barely seemed to move the wheel. My boat has ran 95+ before stripped down according to Ray so the set up is probably pretty descent. I will be putting some serious seat time in just ripping around on Guntersville or Pickwick this weekend. I'm ok with not running 90 but I really would like to run low 80's COMFORTABLY. Comfortable in that I don't feel like one little move and it time to clean my britches out! LOL. I'll be in touch with you guys as time goes on. I'm hard heade enough that I just can't accept any possibility that I won't be able to drive this boat like I want to. I'm going to do everything within my power and pocketbook to get my driving and setup in sync for an enjoyable time on the lake every time out.:smile

xb03fs

Took me a while probably a few months and then about a year before I could turn around and look back to see where the people I passed are.:razz

xb03

Took me a while probably a few months and then about a year before I could turn around and look back to see where the people I passed are.:razz
Nathan, buy you a mirror it really saves a lot of neck turing. :LMAO:

BGohr

I know I have to put some seat time in to learn how to really get the most out of my XB21 Bassport. My question is sort of a hard one to answer as about all of you don't know what my skill levels are to start with etc. But, just for conversation if nothing else, if I'm an above average driver who has run Rangers, Tritons, etc. in the 70's for many years, how long do you realistically think it will take me to get to where I can really start to fly my boat? JFYI, first time out by myself I ran it 77 in some semi-rough water on the river with no issues. This thing has so much power it would be a crying shame to never let her loose some while I'm having a little fun. I just want to live to tell about it!:LMAO:
It is just easier for some people to get the hang of it, can you just not get past the chinewalk??

Racerx has been doing it for 20 years and still really hasn't gotten it.

XXXR2001

Like Malexie said, too many factors involved to say how long it should take.

All Allisons are not created equal...some are much easier to drive than others. I've never been in an XB21 but can imagine it being a little tougher to drive at higher speeds as it's a pretty large boat. Take your time and enjoy learning to drive it. That's part of the fun!:relax:

Jr in Jax

I transitioned from a Very Fast Vector and except for being spooked with the A boat's nose riding so low, it was a breeze.

My boat was set up [from the dealer] very bad to begin with and I quickly found out that the boat would swap ends at 80+ and come to a stop backwards [which seemed impossible]. I then realized that the Allison hull was some sort of superboat, sort of like finding out you have not just bought a painting, you bought a Mona Lisa.....With the right setup/prop 95 GPS was easy....

brotherxb03

I ran a Hydrostream varmet with a 2.5-200 and hoss cut choper for about 8 years, then a 18 ft spirit and the first think I did with my XB2003 was put a hydromotive 4 blad cleaver and chop off the throttle at 80 and do a 180. Put it back on the trailer and went home. It was is the intercoastal and thought I was going on the bank. Didn't take me long to learn 4 things about a Allison. Have it set up correctly, It don't like too much trim, Don't chop off the throttle at WOT and don't run wide open in a narrow canal.

whipper

From never having an outboard in over 20 years and that one went 45mph it took me about a month practicing an hour or two, two - three times a week. I think the real thing is to accually practice By your self over just go boating. It will come faster that way.
Once you get it once you got it forever. Just like riding a bike.

whipper

Seat time is the answer ! Ain't that right WHIPPER ????

Seat time is the right answer. Practice make ya get it sooner but theres no such thing as perfect with this game. Theres guys been driving Allison's for decades that still get in trouble. So though you can get steady and chime walk becomes a thing of the past theres a million other scenarios that can get ya in trouble. There for seat time is the answer and will always be required. :big grin

champ198

What helped me was the engine break-in process. You're forced to drive for an hour at 3k rpm, then another hour at 4k or less, then another hour at x rpm varying speeds. The break-in instructions on the merc tell you to trim down to make the engine work hard. If you've ever been in an allison XB21 trimmed down at 4k rpm, that's about 65mph. For a regular fishing boat, that's not a big deal. On an Allison, you've got all the keel in the water and you learn to "drive" it and to balance it.

That helped me out a lot by being forced to drive it under limitations. Now, I can't drive the Stratos I used to have because they're so loose in the tail and require so much driver input.

Seat time is the key. Respect the boat, don't "force it" to run, it will come to you. You are balancing the boat, not fighting chine walk. You will need to "unlearn" driving Tritons, Rangers, etc. in order to "drive" an Allison. Don't over trim. The rooster tail should always be below the cowling height. These boats run flat.

Good luck and have fun.

SmallJaw

A wealth of knowledge has been shared with me on this site and I am one who does not underestimate the words of wise men. Thank you guys for the help. I went out today by myself and ran a bunch of gas out after church, playing with my jackplate and trim a little here and there. It was amazing how much just a little adjustment here and there made such a huge difference in things. I feel a lot better every time I get some time behind the wheel. I did not try to hit any big numbers today but mid to upper 70's came pretty easy. I was happiest to stay in that speed range and actually not squeeze the wheel till I choked it to death! It was a relaxing time to play I reckon. I will be looking forward to meeting a bunch of you guys down on Pickwick or here on Wheeler. Everybody's boat has a story when it's an Allison which is just way Kool! I love it.