Are you dreaming of a 4-stroke..?

xb03fs

With an easy 600-800 horsepower available I think it's the prettiest thing I've ever seen. Lol
for sure if it already bolts to a mercury leg...although I went to the site and WOW that is some coin $22,000 euros is like $29K plus shipping and taxes. WOW

Darth VMAX

With an easy 600-800 horsepower available I think it's the prettiest thing I've ever seen. Lol
A technolgical beauty....but physically hideous LOL Much like the Mercury turbine motor.

A long time ago someone asked wht the physical limitations of an Allison hull is. I would think that this kind of HP would surpass that limitation...

patches

That price could come down with more interest. Prolly never happen though. If I had Dave Hensley's money I'd buy two of em. Lol

patches

I think past about 500 hp you'd have some real handling issues with a light XR2001. The bigger, heavier boats could soak up some more ponies

K.Kiser

I think past about 500 hp you'd have some real handling issues with a light XR2001. The bigger, heavier boats could soak up some more ponies
Somebody could stick one on a carbon STV and have a real ride...

And with patches' debt ceiling, I'd be happy with one of them...

hack02

Mmi or somebody down in south ga just had a brute horsepower shoot out and it was won by a turbo bus a. 700 HP.

aeneas

Huge power out of a bullet proof engine. Perhaps a 4 cylinder 1.5l Hayabusa turbo with 500hp would do it in dragracing?

650hp Hayabusa.

Last edited:

K.Kiser

Huge power out of a bullet proof engine. Perhaps a 4 cylinder 1.5l Hayabusa turbo with 500hp would do it in dragracing?
An engine like that won't do it, due to the lack of throttle response and lag... A sharply set up 2.5 merc barks hard and immediately at the hit of the throttle.. Any turbo'd engine will be playing catch-up at that point, and I don't think a 1500cc 500 hp engine is gonna make it...

I think it will take some of the 3.0 or larger 4-stroke forced induction set-ups to do it, but it will eventually happen just simply due to the unrelenting hp that they'll make... It will be a tough task to do it in the 1/8 mile because the of the first 150 foot snap of the mercs, but in the full 1/4 mile drags where a turbo motor can boost up and feed itself I don't think a 2.5 merc will be able to hold them off..

fnshrmaster

An engine like that won't do it, due to the lack of throttle response and lag... A sharply set up 2.5 merc barks hard and immediately at the hit of the throttle.. Any turbo'd engine will be playing catch-up at that point, and I don't think a 1500cc 500 hp engine is gonna make it...

I think it will take some of the 3.0 or larger 4-stroke forced induction set-ups to do it, but it will eventually happen just simply due to the unrelenting hp that they'll make... It will be a tough task to do it in the 1/8 mile because the of the first 150 foot snap of the mercs, but in the full 1/4 mile drags where a turbo motor can boost up and feed itself I don't think a 2.5 merc will be able to hold them off..
For a racing application yes, but from a lake motor standpoint I could live with the lag for a 250 to 300 hp motor that turns 10000 rpms dependably.

Nobody likes the change, I remember when two stroke dirtbikes were the end all be all, then along came the 450s. Now the only place you see a two stroke is on the trail or an enduro. Lets hope for a light, fast affordable four stroke on the horizon.

K.Kiser

Aeneas asked about drag racing and that was the only reason for my reply... For a lake motor it would be great, for sure... The lag would probably be hardly noticeable while pushing a hull along at 35-40 mph, because it would already have enough "effort" on the engine to be at least zero boost or a little positive... It wouldn't take an engine long whatsoever to jump on it feet when given the throttle dump...

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

For a racing application yes, but from a lake motor standpoint I could live with the lag for a 250 to 300 hp motor that turns 10000 rpms dependably.

Nobody likes the change, I remember when two stroke dirtbikes were the end all be all, then along came the 450s. Now the only place you see a two stroke is on the trail or an enduro. Lets hope for a light, fast affordable four stroke on the horizon.
AS far as dirt bikes, didn't the 4 strokes get a displacment advantage to compete with the 2 strokes? So will a 250cc 4-stroke outperform a 250cc 2-stroke?

fnshrmaster

AS far as dirt bikes, didn't the 4 strokes get a displacment advantage to compete with the 2 strokes? So will a 250cc 4-stroke outperform a 250cc 2-stroke?
Yes they did get an advantage, 200 cc to be exact. As far as power, a 250 two stroke will leave a 250 four stroke in the dust, with the right rider. The four stroke is much easier to manage in the tight stuff for sure. They have come a long way from the old Honda XR.

I still ride a two stroke myself, can't beat them for ease of maintenance and cost, but I am a trail rider, not a racer. I don't like the change either, but I don't see anyone developing them anymore(except KTM)between the tree huggers and the corporations chasing the mighty dollar, we are too small of a market for the two stroke to survive.

K.Kiser

CC for CC the 2-stroke will typically win until you get into the type engines like the street bikes that make 160+ hp w/ 1000cc and will idle like a sewing machine...

The real kicker in the racing scene will be the advent of the turbo... The 4-strokers will adapt to that like a duck to water, then it's all over but trying to figure out how to control it...

fnshrmaster

CC for CC the 2-stroke will typically win until you get into the type engines like the street bikes that make 160+ hp w/ 1000cc and will idle like a sewing machine...

The real kicker in the racing scene will be the advent of the turbo... The 4-strokers will adapt to that like a duck to water, then it's all over but trying to figure out how to control it...
Your right, big change is coming. A new Suzuki Hayabusa goes for around 12000, you would think a marine engine could be built off that design, be affordable, scream on top and idle for hours using modest amounts of fuel.

Is that too much to ask?:gasp

dragmerc

i want one. maybe suzuki will develop this into an outboard. looks like most of the work is already done. at least it ain't a yamaha with a ford block. merc better get their head out or they'll be left behind. verados just ain't makin it. you would think the company that always had the best sounding engines would realize how important sound is. this v8 sounds pretty wicked.

hooken203

I can't tell you how many hours I have spent thinking about how do they get 170 rwhp out of 1.3 liters in my Hayabusa and only 250 out of 4.2 on my SHO. I like the look I just wish somebody would get to work on the SHO with some better flowing heads and some different cams. Then I can get that xb21 past the 100 mph mark. The headers sticking out the side may be a problem with the tournament director. Honest it's stock. :)