Allison Drivers School

allimax

Had her out again this weekend. I had other passengers with me the whole time so no crazy stuff. It does come together more & more with seat time. I can see we need some more weight on the port side by the way things changed when I had my son & his girlfriend slide all the way over there at about 55mph. It made a big difference in things. Guess I was thinking with the starting battery and all the other heavy gear there it would be close. Wrong. This is good, we're learning. What is it with the Allison reputation? Had a couple of Rangers fishing near me Saturday morning. We all starting putting up to move on about the same time but they sat there till I left & went the other way. Maybe just me but it didn

allimax

It was kinda funny yesterday when the guys at the slip behind me asked what size engine was on my boat. The cowl has been custom painted with two fighting Allison Knights on the back, MERC on the side but keeps'em guessing. One of the guys asked what size it was and my wife chimes in a 225. Kidding (I guess) he says "is that all." Then after asking about mods and the such comes the normal question about how fast she runs. I asked him what he thought it would do. Oh, maybe 70 was the reply. I had to tell him I may never know but she doesn't even start to come up on the pad till 65 and still has plenty left. Should be close to 90, not sure if they believed me or not. I was proud of the wife though, not like her to boast at all, she surprised me!

suicidealli

It takes time..... Every time out you will get better. It is a learning curve, kinda like riding a bike for the first time. After you learn it, you got it.

When you are running triple digits, or higher it requires more attention. Every spring after a 3 month break from boating a 100 feels like 125 to me... After several trips out I get use to it....

Roy

RobShaw-BasSport

Allimax, how close are you to Smallwood State Park? I'm 3 hours from Leesylvania (Potomac). Ive owned an XB2003 and my current boat is a BasSport Pro that I purchsed new in September 2007. Great advice above. If youre close to the Potomac, perhaps I could offer some assistance someday.

allimax

Ah, the Lower Potomac, Yes I've caught a few good fish down there. Haven't been to Smallwood since we bought a place up near Deep Creek around the time you bought this boat. Right now it would be 6 hours of driving to do that I'm afraid and I really appriciate the offer. Nice rig by the way. If you ever run into a problem with the DNR down on the James River and his last name is Fouse that's my Uncle. Just tell him you didn't do anything wrong, you bought an Allison didn't you?

Tom M

Great thread! .... I've been devouring the info on this site in preparation for picking up my first Allison on Monday .... an XR2001RR, can't wait.

xb03

Great thread! .... I've been devouring the info on this site in preparation for picking up my first Allison on Monday .... an XR2001RR, can't wait.
Oh boy, :very happy welcome Tom!!

thegoop

Congrats! The people here are all very passionate about thier allisons and very willing to go above and beyond to help out fellow owners. I feel pretty fortunate to have all that knowledge available to me from so many awesome members who have gone out of their way to help me out. The search function and you guys have helped me learn about my boat, how to improve it and how to improve as a driver. Oh and how to spend more money. You guys are a great bunch.

Tom M

On my way to pick up the boat today, couldn't leave without checking a set up question first. There's so much info here I sometimes get overloaded and have to double check what I thought I read. I'm certain I'll have questions but will leave them till I've spent some time actually driving.

Thanks to all who regularly post here, you're all very well informed.

I'll be boating in and around Toronto, Canada. Be glad to meet any members north of the border as I'll be trailer boating.

xb2003

Ever heard the saying driving by the seat of your pants? That's my best description. I drive by the way the boat feels. The feel comes with time. After some good passes when I get in my truck I counter steer my truck just like I'm driving the boat. It's all in the feel. Kinda like driving your car but keeping one tire on the yellow line. The steering wheel never stops moving. You anticipate what is going to happen. It will come man, just give it time. Balance and set up is the key. Our boats are extremely sensitive to weight. Just enjoy the learning curve. Once you nail it you will want to go faster.