Allison Drivers School

GotMyAlly

Post up your location and if there's anybody on the board nearby I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

Setup is key. If it ain't setup right, you're fighting an uphill battle learning to drive it.

allimax

Eldersburg, Maryland but I'm keeping her for the summer up near Deep Creek Lake in Western, MD. I wouldn't mind a few days learning elswhere if I could work the time out.

catfish123

Bob.........I sent you a PM. My son Matt and I can help you.

Last edited:

Jr in Jax

I have had mine for 14 years and I still can not go safely faster than idle-speed....:big grin

allimax

I think I'm over the idle speed hump.:at the bar But I will say this "canned" pro max gets a lot of looks just sitting there running at the dock. One bad ars sounding boat, now to learn how to drive her!

xb03

It took me 6 trips to the water before I was able to go 80+, first time out couldn't get it over 65, and this was 6 months ago lol, it's all fresh in my head if you want to pm me your phone number or pm Bob, My advice is talk to everyone you can, I think we all do it a little different.

Honda92

Don't feel bad. I think I hit 60 my first time out also haha. I'm also learning. It's starting to come together now, the biggest thing I have found is keeping it balanced. Now that I have figured out where to keep my weights it's pretty easy to run 80 and spike up to 90 periodically. If i'm off balance, it's like i am fighting the boat. Kinda like driving a car with flat tires on one side is the best i can explain it.

allimax

Six trips sounds great with no teacher. So only four more trips to go! Just kidding, I know we're all different. Part of my problem is most of the time the wife is sitting there beside me and that would be a big no, no. I'm loving this thing up till about 65 and will keep practicing.
You know, I had no idea this would be sooo addictive. Seems all I can think about is getting another go at it. Practice, practice, practice.

xb03

John on here did go out with me the second time, and told me that there was nothing wrong with the boat lol, and that I was trying to do it right just need more seat time, and left me at that, told me to practice practice practice.

xb03

Oh, when I finaly got it, it was also the first time I was solo. The boat is way more sensitive when solo, which makes it harder at first take but much easier to learn to prevent washing the stickers.

bc's xtb21

Hang in there! There's a lot of great folks and info on here to get you running it.my first Ally was WAY off on setup and after correcting it and learning how it wanted balanced it helped a bunch, but as most of these guys will tell you ther is no substitute for seat time. Just be careful and never push it past where you are comfortable. Yet..... Lol

allimax

Catfish123 had me call him last night and offered me to bring her up to Raystown Lake for a few days. I'm hoping to get the time to work that out.:very happy
Explain the term "washing the sides." I took that to mean the rear was too low and pushing the spay off the sides and not the back. Now you got me thinking getting her sidways i.e. hook.
As much as I belive in keeping her clean, never heard anyone talking about all the bug splatter on the hull after running her. Not used to dealing with that. Just think, I'll be dealing with the bats soon. :rolleyes:

Jr in Jax

Ally's will get into a serious side to side oscillation that bounces the boat from onto one side to another if you are not careful. It is really hard on any passengers, just like a gusting 90* crosswind-shear on approach-final in a Cessna 150....
Marc and I both owned a couple of Hydrostreams before we got our Allys and they make the Ally seem tame....

Last edited:

xb03

Yes, chine walk and if you let it get to bad you'll be washing the stickers lol, kinda means the same thing in my book. I wouldn't worry about hooking it under 80 just don't over trim, not saying it can't be done, just harder to do. I chop my throttle around 80 when the boat is level and straight with no problem.

GotMyAlly

Use the level at rest. If it's off balance at rest, it's sure gonna be noticeable when you're running.

With that said, I've found my Allisons have ran best loaded a little heavier on the left side. Just a little, like 20-30 lbs more. If they're perfectly level, they run perfectly level until the upper 80s to 90. Past that, they start lifting the left side a little. I always load a little heavy on the left side now. That way when really strung out, it's perfect. But for learning, level at rest is probably best.

2003225X

Neal hit the nail on the head, and I was just going to say the same thing.

When mine is at rest it leans a slightly to the left side of the boat. When you are going to start running bigger numbers, that is how you will want it to be. Mine was fine until around the 90mph mark, but to run faster I needed more weight on the left hand side.