225x

allisonriverrat

No offense.. But you have a 21 now right? I don't understand your resentment against 3 liter 250pro xs for you boat! I think really in long run after wasting your time with 2.5s on that boat and money for many prop test gear ratios ect.....
just dive in get the 250 and put a prop that has been proven to run on that set up and start enjoying the boat.. An you could also look at 300x.. But then again it will eat you alive on mpg. There are several people on here with 21s and 250s and I bet most are very happy with performance and economy!! Which is a very though balance! Justmy 2cents.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
No offense.. But you have a 21 now right? I don't understand your resentment against 3 liter 250pro xs for you boat! I think really in long run after wasting your time with 2.5s on that boat and money for many prop test gear ratios ect.....
just dive in get the 250 and put a prop that has been proven to run on that set up and start enjoying the boat.. An you could also look at 300x.. But then again it will eat you alive on mpg. There are several people on here with 21s and 250s and I bet most are very happy with performance and economy!! Which is a very though balance! Justmy 2cents.
Right on! :very happy

225X motors ain't cheep yet.

whipper

X3,For the 21 a 300xs with a 1.1 Bush kit I think anyway would be the ultimate fun motor and performance with fuel economy. Did I just say performance with fuel economy!! What's the world coming to. I don't know but its a good thing as far as I can tell. These motors are getting great feed back from everyone that has them. 250,300XS,250 HO,SHO. I would be happy with any one of these bad boys on a 21 over a 2.5. Merc though seems to have the after market mods more ready available than the rest and way less expensive to fit with aftermarket mods thanks to Dave Bush and Mike Nass.:beer: There are examples of 1000-2000+ hr motors in all of the above and still running strong. So if ya can find a good used out of warranty motor in the 300 or less range I would think theres years of life left in them. By the time they get close to needing new pistons im sure the prices will have come down a lot! You can already find 300xs drop ons just like the 2.5,s now. So all things are relative with any techno advances. They get cheaper in time. Just like when when merc went from 2.4 to 2.5 Guys held out. I think the 3+lters have been around long enough to say there great in every way and and are getting better with mods.

You can search some posts from just a few years ago when we all {wished} for a 300xs 15 inch mid with a 2.5 ratcheting gear case that reved to 7000 rpm on pump gas thats reliable sub 450lbs. Well for $1300 bucks and change you can have the 15inch use an existing 2.5 gearcase add a few more $ for the 1.1 kit, Tunner ,light flywheel and extra revs, plus a Carbon cowl and you got your wish. 335hp sip fuel low center of gravity ratcheting gearcased monster!! Oh ya baby!!:]

Last edited:

xb03fs

Because if I get a 250 I know I would spend another 5 grand trying to lighten it up.....cowls flywheel mid raised limiter lithium batteries trying to get it to rev and feel like it does now. Hard to do that to a warranty motor.

allisonriverrat

Because if I get a 250 I know I would spend another 5 grand trying to lighten it up.....cowls flywheel mid raised limiter lithium batteries trying to get it to rev and feel like it does now. Hard to do that to a warranty motor.[/

Are you really looking for mpg?? Or really the fastest 21???

catfish123

+1 on both your questions!.......At some point, this type of thing becomes a "compromise" of sorts, just like most other things in life.

GotMyAlly

When you have to drop in pitch and compensate for torque with higher RPMs, gas mileage goes out the window.

I don't think you'll see a huge gain over what you've got by going to a 225X. With a light load I think it'll pull away, compared to your built 200. But loaded to fish, I'm not sure you're going to see the improvements you're looking for.

whipper

Because if I get a 250 I know I would spend another 5 grand trying to lighten it up.....cowls flywheel mid raised limiter lithium batteries trying to get it to rev and feel like it does now. Hard to do that to a warranty motor.
Yep that will happen if not left stock.:beer: With a heavy load you'll save that in gas on a stock motor over a few years. 250xs,s are going for around 8 grand once and awhile for good ones with 200ish to 300 hrs. 225X 6-7.

Darth VMAX

I vote for the 250 Proxb or 300x idea...

less $$$ (spend the difference on gas...there, now your even ;) Plus they just look and sound WAAAAYYYYY cooler than the opti's do.

SLOmofo

I recently talked to Dave there have been NO failures with the engines that have been modified. Also there is something else in the works that he is really excited about, is going to dyno it soon. We may be fitting it to my engine this winter also.

whipper

I recently talked to Dave there have been NO failures with the engines that have been modified. Also there is something else in the works that he is really excited about, is going to dyno it soon. We may be fitting it to my engine this winter also.
Turbo or Supercharger power for a 2.5 and up.:beer:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fill the compartments and bilge area with helium baloons and forget about it.

xb03fs

I guess next year I will work on a topend setup ..I need more pitch or a higher rev limite. I know there is a good bit left now that I found the prop configuaraion I am comfortable pushing..just ran out of revs

xb03fs

25 xOB with a quarter inch flair removed. Turns as confdently as the xb2003 with OT did now. Having it tightened a hair to see if midrange can be improved as it feels like its slipping just a little in the mid. Topend ends over 80 in a half mile approx. took some PVS plugs being added to keep it from slipping on holeshot but it spins up very quick seems easier to turn the the OT was.

xb03fs

It at 6800 at 77/78 but can trim to 81/82 before the nose starts wandering, went 74 with 4 200 lb adults and I stopped trimming to to it not feelin safe not because there wasn't enough motor

GotMyAlly

When you kept trimming to 81/82, what did the RPMs do?

My 225X pushed my prosport to 88 and change, driver only with my fishing stuff in the boat and trolling motor on the nose. But the holeshot would have in no way been acceptable with a passenger in the boat. That was turning a 28" OT. Don't exactly remember but I think that was about 6600 RPMs.....I know it wouldn't pull it to the limiter.

Even running a 27", when I put 3-4 people in the boat, the holeshot sucked. It would run 86 solo and a couple clicks less with 2 people in the boat.

I too ended up with a 25" to maintain a strong holeshot and mid-range. It hit the 6850 rev limiter at 79, if I remember correctly, and load really didn't matter. I would have bumped the rev limiter if I had kept it. A 26" would probably have been a good compromise, but I never tried that either.