After 2 hours of plowing.....

Tray Archer

Richard where did you go run the boat Id like to see it in person I live in rockwall. you gould bring it out to Ray hubbard.
Give me a call some time
Tray

Alli-drenaline Rush

Hey Tray - I ran the boat on Lake Conroe... It's about 220 miles south of you down I-45.... And about 20 miles north of home!!!

Will call if ever I am towing the boat up your way!

Richard

Allyfishing

Neal,

Your model is faster than a Bassport Pro too... I was told they are the slowest model out of them all.

Most guys struggle to get 100mph with a stock 280 on an XB03. Things have to be perfect to get it. If this one is only 4-5mph less than that it would be VERY impressive.

I would love to see Craig's new boat with the 250xs and this one both loaded light run against one another from a complete stop. The 280s do have a lot of torque for a 2.5.

Good luck with it!

Well, we'll see that at the rally in June!! My gut feeling, based on my personal experience with my 225 PM (which had no trouble spinning up any prop and never any lugging) on my 2+2 is that if Rich props the 280 out for the RPM's of that motor and not necessarily to squeeze out the fastest top end number, he will out run me with equal loads running solo.

Allyfishing

I Think it will run with the 250 all day, set Up correctly, and 2 equal drivers. I heard Lee Sanderson thinks it will run bigger mph on the big end than the 250. That is second hand info tho.
7750 1.87 27p 10% 95.4mph no reason it can't do that.
Going to take a skilled driver.....

I'm sure with a heavy fishing load the 3.0L would be a better choice. For many reasons, but the 280 has monster torq for a 2.5.. I can't believe how big a prop mine will turn with 175 gears... I can turn 30's well over 7000 rpms... I have figured out what the 280 likes, and it has been a learning curve. Not what i expected at all..

Roy
I agree with Roy. No offense Neal!! I know you were not tickled to death with your 225X on your Prosport. For whatever reason, our two Promax's were different. Had I not had the cracked block (don't say it Brian!!!) I would have been content with my ProMax especially since I knew that I had all the issues worked out of it.

I called lee at one point when I was about to give up on the crap I was dealing with on the PM and asked him about a 280. I was going to get Roy's, I even called him and asked about it. Lee laughed and said he would not hesitate running a 280, setup correctly and propped correctly (maybe not for pure top end strung out speed) and put it against a 300 out of the block and for a pretty good distance til the 300 may catch it.

I don't mean to put lee on the spot but that was our conversation.

And again, I am a rookie compared to all you other guys so I am not trying to sound as an authority just from what limited experience I have.

Roy, now you gotta get behind the wheel of Rich's boat this summer and tell what you think!!!

suicidealli

I would love to drive it to see how it hadles, and drives. I'm sure it is quick out of the hole with a lot less weight back there. I bet it will maneuver better too. No matter how you measure it up it is a 3.0L boat tho... no doubt a 280 is going to move it along very well.....

Roy

GotMyAlly

I've never seen a promax that wouldn't bog in 100 degree southern heat, put enough people in the boat, and bolt on a high pitched river-ridin' prop.

Put 4 200lb guys in an XB02 and tell me you can still jump on plane and pull big R's without propping down.....that's about the load you'd have to pack in one of the smaller boats to equate to a light load in a 21.

Ain't no replacement for displacement :beer:

GotMyAlly

One benefit of the promax on a 21......the cowling don't stick up as high and not as likely to get smacked by a sidearm cast from the guy fishing on the back.

Allyfishing

I've never seen a promax that wouldn't bog in 100 degree southern heat, put enough people in the boat, and bolt on a high pitched river-ridin' prop.

Put 4 200lb guys in an XB02 and tell me you can still jump on plane and pull big R's without propping down.....that's about the load you'd have to pack in one of the smaller boats to equate to a light load in a 21.

Ain't no replacement for displacement :beer:

Neal, I don't disagree...you have way more experience than I ever will.

resqu-u

I can certainly attest to that!!!!!
Me too Craig :big grin

The boat looks GREAT Rich, you'll have that 280 singing in no time. For the numbers, if your happy that's all that matters. You had that motor waiting for an Ally to put it on for a long time, enjoy it :at the bar

Last edited:

suicidealli

Can't compare a promax to a 280. As far as electronics, and air temps. The 280 as complicated as they are, they are well advanced compared to a promax. Promax, "laser" style injection has bend around since the late 80's. They went digital, which, made them way better, but they are super rich motor. All 2 stokes loose a certain amount of power in high heat, and humidity will effect them... There is no doubt cubic inches means so much, and even more when it comes to weight.... When I raced cars it was hard to beat the big blocks with a small blocks straight up. But a stock BB turning 6000 rpms, and a hot small block turning 8000 sure made a difference. I put a lot of BBC on the trailer.lol
I also had the BBC too.
The O/S 280 rev limiter is 8250. I think coming out of the hole a 280 will smoke the a 250. The 3.0L has to run a huge prop to keep the rpms down, really hurts it coming out of the hole. It will have to play catch up.. I just think the 280 will surprise a lot of people how well it will run on the bigger 21's set up correctly....

I have also seen guys sell their 225pm and bolt 280's on with little gains. 2-5 mph. It Requires a different set up, and prop.....

I have seen pro stock 200's put stock drags on the trailer just about every race weekend I have been too...lol

Richard do these guys know your running a 75 shot of NOS????????

Roy

Alli-drenaline Rush

Me too Craig :big grin

The boat looks GREAT Rich, you'll have that 280 singing in no time. For the numbers, if your happy that's all that matters. You had that motor waiting for an Ally to put it on for a long time, enjoy it :at the bar
Thanks, Shane, it's been a long time coming!!!! I told a buddy if I can bust 90, I'll be happy. Everything above that is gravy.

I'm running 75 lb of lead shot in the port forward locker, and I notice a definite list to port on plane. Might be able to take out 25+ lb as I load up the boat with gear. I'm not one to keep half of Academy in the lockers, and 6 good light-weight rods are more than enough for me. Replace the heavy lead-acid troller batts with those new-fangled lithium ion batteries in a few years, and that'll shed another 80+ lbs for better hole-shot.

Plus, I was like Chrissy Matthews this weekend when I fired up the Merc in the marina, especially when all of the tree-hugging 4-strokes are putting around the marina..... There is nothing like the sound of an old-school Merc when you come off the throttle from a high-speed run!

ADR

Alli-drenaline Rush

Shane did you see the link to the video right below the 3rd picture? 60 mph is rock-solid, as you would expect.... And listen to the mota wind down...... SWEET!!!!

xb03fs

Don't know much about the 21s but a left lean on the 03s it means she needs more trim a right lean means stop move more weight left and try again
Can't wait to see that boat

GotMyAlly

I'm running 75 lb of lead shot in the port forward locker, and I notice a definite list to port on plane. Might be able to take out 25+ lb as I load up the boat with gear.
Move those shot bags around until you figure out how much weight you need and where, then ditch a couple and move your batteries accordingly. Gotta carry those anyway, so ya might as well use 'em for ballast.

xb03fs

One of my biggest fears After having center steer is not liking going back to side steer and balancing issues

resqu-u

Shane did you see the link to the video right below the 3rd picture? 60 mph is rock-solid, as you would expect.... And listen to the mota wind down...... SWEET!!!!
It did look really solid, but 60's the sweet spot... the 2.5 has a sound all of it's own. My wife can call my cell 2 mins after I shutdown from a run into hertford harbor, and we live a mile off the river LOL. How far outside of Houston are you? I'm bringing them a new helicopter very soon.

Alli-drenaline Rush

It did look really solid, but 60's the sweet spot... the 2.5 has a sound all of it's own. My wife can call my cell 2 mins after I shutdown from a run into hertford harbor, and we live a mile off the river LOL. How far outside of Houston are you? I'm bringing them a new helicopter very soon.
I'm about 35 miles north of downtown.... Would like very much to get together if you bring a helo over..... BTW - just finished 2 days ago setting the last structural rivet on the wings - still need to install nutplates on the inspection ports and attach the piano hinges for the flaps, but in general the wings are done! On to the fuselage!!!

Neal / Roy - thx for the advice! Will prolly move the forward batt to the rear port compartment eventually... Darris wanted a batt up front to reduce any tendencies towards flightiness of the hull for a newbie... So with lures and batts on the port side I can eventually ditch the shot bags......