After 2 hours of plowing.....

Alli-drenaline Rush

below 3,500 rpm / 4,500 rpm, the rev limits finally came off.......

Managed to get up to 74 yesterday. 5,800 rpm. 1/2" below the pad. 27 Trophy.

It's addicting for sure.... hard to spend time below 5,000 rpm!

Alli-drenaline Rush

When Hurricane Rita came through, she damaged the dam.... the State dropped the lake level about 7 ft to make repairs, so I took the opportunity to tool around all of the stump fields on the north end of the lake...... can run with confidence now that the lake is up knowing full well where the danger areas are...... to the left of the line of points on the GPS..... the lake is still 3 ft low....

2003225X

Very nice looking setup! I am interested to hear some numbers once the motor is really ready to go.

2003225X

What do you think it will run Roy? Will it run with a 250xs on that boat?

GotMyAlly

Will it run with a 250xs on that boat?
Here's my prediction......

Light load:
Hole shot may go to the 280 due to weight. Mid-range, I think the 3.0L torque will shine. You could prop the 280 down to compensate, but then you're giving up some on the big end. Top end will be close, that's a toss up.

Heavy/Fishing load:
3.0 leaves it from holeshot all the way through the top end. 280 will need to drop in pitch from light load to heavy load to maintain a decent holeshot and mid range, but top end will lack. Or lug it on the bottom end for big top end potential, but by the time the 280 starts breathing good the 250 will be at the other end of the lake.

I had to run a 25" with my 225X w/1.87 gears to holeshot like a 27" on my 250XS with 1.62 gears. And the 250XS with the 27" still had the advantage in mid range. But top end in that scenario, 15+ MPH advantage to the 250XS.

I realize the 280 is stouter than a 225X, but it's still a 2.5L motor. Torque is king with these heavy boats. I think the only way the 280 will run with the 250XS carrying a load is if you remove the rev limiter on the 280 so you can run a low pitch prop and spin the guts out of it on the top end. That would be fun, but doesn't do much for longevity.

suicidealli

I Think it will run with the 250 all day, set Up correctly, and 2 equal drivers. I heard Lee Sanderson thinks it will run bigger mph on the big end than the 250. That is second hand info tho.
7750 1.87 27p 10% 95.4mph no reason it can't do that.
Going to take a skilled driver.....

I'm sure with a heavy fishing load the 3.0L would be a better choice. For many reasons, but the 280 has monster torq for a 2.5.. I can't believe how big a prop mine will turn with 175 gears... I can turn 30's well over 7000 rpms... I have figured out what the 280 likes, and it has been a learning curve. Not what i expected at all..

Roy

Last edited:

2003225X

Neal,

Your model is faster than a Bassport Pro too... I was told they are the slowest model out of them all.

Most guys struggle to get 100mph with a stock 280 on an XB03. Things have to be perfect to get it. If this one is only 4-5mph less than that it would be VERY impressive.

I would love to see Craig's new boat with the 250xs and this one both loaded light run against one another from a complete stop. The 280s do have a lot of torque for a 2.5.

Good luck with it!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Roy is right.... I'm gonna need a lot of seat time to become a truly skilled pilot. 74 mph in dead calm is not the same as navigating roiled waters with a degree of precision that keeps the boss (the wife) wanting to continue fishing with me. Anybody can learn to go fast. Dealing with problems at high speed is the real objective.

On another topic, the person who heard Lees' opinion re: 280 v. 3L is a regular on the board, and he may want to validate what's been stated here. He told me that Lee told him that (all other factors being equal) the 280 will only give it up to the 300XS, and only then on a long run.

I say WTH.... I had a guy in a Gambler Intimidator idle up to me yesterday and strike up a conversation about mine being only the second Ally he's ever seen on the lake, and asking how fast she'd go. The respect was obvious. That conversation would've never happened in the Ranger. As it stands, where it counts, I'll be able to outrun at 75 mph probably 95% of the boats in the Texas waters that I fish.... ProSport v. BasSport v. 2+2 is just for pie!

Last edited:

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose we can compare the boats come June at Watts Bar!

Glad you got her in the water Rich!

catfish123

Roy, what is it you have found out that a 280 "likes"????.............other than gas of course :LMAO:

I agree 100% with the "monster torque" statement............I was led by many prior to the purchase of my 280 that they didn't have a lot of torque..............WHAT A MISCONCEPTION!

Last edited:

suicidealli

Roy, what is it you have found out that a 280 "likes"????.............other than gas of course :LMAO:

I agree 100% with the "monster torque" statement............I was led by many prior to the purchase of my 280 that they didn't have a lot of torque..............WHAT A MISCONCEPTION!
I couldn't get this 280 to perform they way I wanted. With the same set up as my drag motor. I figured less rpms, and a little more pitch. Common since.
Now I'm running 1.75 gears, but I did with the drag too. I'm turning a lot bigger wheels and letting the torq of the 280 to produce the mph.
I'm using tighter, lower slip props to get there. Just doesn't seem correct when you know the internals of a 280, you would think it would like more rpms than it does. The torq just keeps pulling, where the 260 hits the wall, and a drag doesn't have enough torq to turn them.... Just what I have found.
I just bought another 28 drag 4, they run very well on allisons, there is a reason why a used one goes for so much money....... With some work best all around prop I have ran, with just a little custom work, they are awesome.
My last one was 2% slip.
With my drag I ran a higher slip props so the rpms would rev up.
9-10 %. The over all formula resulted in higher MPH.

I like 29-30p props with 1.75 gears with the 280. Don't get me wrong you better bring your A game when driving, but you will produce some mph.
JMO

Roy

SmallJaw

I'm not a gear-head or one with great wisdom on Allison XB21 BassPorts. I own one and drive it as much as I can. With that being said, my boat has a good hole shot and will run 85 and some change while bumping the limiter on a full tourney load and 2 passengers. 250XS, 1.62's, and a 26" wheel. Dr. Ray, the original owner of my boat ran it with the same engine and a 1.75 lower and a ??? prop 95.6 or 96.8 mph (not exact on those .2 mph's LOL) but he is a skilled driver and knows how to set a boat up pretty darn good, and the boat was stripped of excess weight. Having ridden in my boat with Ray driving. I'd think it would be asking very much out of a BassPort to go beyond about 88 mph with a 250XS and a full load. :banghead:very happy

GotMyAlly

I'm not a gear-head or one with great wisdom on Allison XB21 BassPorts. I own one and drive it as much as I can. With that being said, my boat has a good hole shot and will run 85 and some change while bumping the limiter on a full tourney load and 2 passengers. 250XS, 1.62's, and a 26" wheel. Dr. Ray, the original owner of my boat ran it with the same engine and a 1.75 lower and a ??? prop 95.6 or 96.8 mph (not exact on those .2 mph's LOL) but he is a skilled driver and knows how to set a boat up pretty darn good, and the boat was stripped of excess weight. Having ridden in my boat with Ray driving. I'd think it would be asking very much out of a BassPort to go beyond about 88 mph with a 250XS and a full load. :banghead:very happy
1.75 gears will just shave a mile or two off what you got. You've got the right gears. Oughta be able to turn a 28" prop when you're ready for more top end.

rmills280

glenn reynolds told me the other day they did a back to back comparison on a xb21 260 vs 300xs and the 260 cleaned up on top end and holeshot but not the fuel stop. i am also impessed with vance's 21prosport with 225 promax and 26 trophy plus running mid 80's. he's getting ready to buy a hydramotive looking for more.

GotMyAlly

Most guys struggle to get 100mph with a stock 280 on an XB03. Things have to be perfect to get it. If this one is only 4-5mph less than that it would be VERY impressive.
I think there's more than 4-5 MPH difference between a 2003 and a 21 with HP/TQ being equal. With the same 225X, I lost about 8 MPH when I went from an 2003 to a 21 PS. With the 2+2 or 2 seater, you may be looking at 10 MPH difference between an 2003 and a 21 with the same motor.