XTB years of build any wood?

whipper

Curious about the XTB21. You don't hear to much talk about there qualities. Are they a true 21fter? Like 20ft 11 inches or full on 21? Also i see they were made around 1986ish to 1996 in the owners group is that correct? Is there a year they had wood some year then didn't is the big question I have. Anyone know there history as far as having or not having wood in the build schedule?

aaronmt

Silverbullet02 had one, I think it was a 89 and had no wood.Flat out an amazing hull.Twice the hull the Gs and 2003 are.I had his with a bone stock 94 pro max 150 to 84.7 and ran out of lake.I think there was 85-87 in the boat in the right situation.God have mercy on your passenger though,not much protection there at all.It takes water that a gs or 2003 will get ya wet in and laughs at it.

whipper

Silverbullet02 had one, I think it was a 89 and had no wood.Flat out an amazing hull.Twice the hull the Gs and 2003 are.I had his with a bone stock 94 pro max 150 to 84.7 and ran out of lake.I think there was 85-87 in the boat in the right situation.God have mercy on your passenger though,not much protection there at all.It takes water that a gs or 2003 will get ya wet in and laughs at it.
That sounds awesome!! The last year of build was 96 I believe? The hulls were 21.17 long and weight was 960lb Ive found out. last year of wood was 88 from what Ive been able to find? I agree from what some others say they were quite the hull. Did they ever make one with the XB03 SUV windscreen? Theres one in the Allison owners thought it might be in the wrong spot? Some 100+ XTB,s in the owners stuff also. I like the 96 yellow one. Very cool.

Wonder what the production # were there sure doesn't seem to be many around?

Dave Hensley

Center steer, raised front deck on that hull would have been a home run for Darris. I think the nicest ones were after 1992, I think, when the ski locker in the floor.and lids on front deck were deleted.

xb03fs

A ski locker in the 2+2 would be nice. Only think really missing

Darth VMAX

If I remember right, the 1988's were the first year with no wood.

There were MANY models made. Some with one massive front storage (door goes to the floor. One with a small front storage, one with a live-well AND front storage, and of course the floor storage.

Centerline length is NOT 21'. Its 19'11" 86" beam.

whipper

LOA 21.17 thanks for the center line length couldnt find the spec sheet with all the details.That's 1 inch narrower beam than the GS but 11 inches longer center line. Thats what makes them better rough water boats. Ill bet then a 3.0lt would hang on the back of one of these just fine? True 21fter. Lots of room line a Center console boat. Never gave them much notice before as you dont hear guys talk about them. Tim from Hoss was saying how he likes the hull on a thread that got me see what was up with them. i didnt realize they were made with no wood is why i didnt pay to much attention to them as I only like No rot hulls. Probably a lot of design issues in making one a C Steer? Very much like the predecessor of the XST. It would be cool to add another console like the Bass Sport. http://allisonowners.com/p/edkolski5.jpg

Last edited:

Fishfast

I now own one. The ride is great. Front deck could use some help. I did alot of reading on the 3 liter and most everyone says no. My boat seems really light but have not seen others to compare

Fishfast

LOA 21.17 thanks for the center line length couldnt find the spec sheet with all the details.That's 1 inch narrower beam than the GS but 11 inches longer center line. Thats what makes them better rough water boats. Ill bet then a 3.0lt would hang on the back of one of these just fine? True 21fter. Lots of room line a Center console boat. Never gave them much notice before as you dont hear guys talk about them. Tim from Hoss was saying how he likes the hull on a thread that got me see what was up with them. i didnt realize they were made with no wood is why i didnt pay to much attention to them as I only like No rot hulls. Probably a lot of design issues in making one a C Steer? Very much like the predecessor of the XST. It would be cool to add another console like the Bass Sport. http://allisonowners.com/p/edkolski5.jpg
Whos boat is that in the link

Darth VMAX

3 liters will work better on a XTB than on an XB2002, XB/XS2003, but I talked to Todd about it specifically and they (Darris included) still are against any of the newer 3L motors (over 500 lbs) on an XTB. I have seen a few (250xs) and most just brought in the set-back to under 6" of total set-back.

Purely talking about motor weight (not gear-cases) they thought that the heavier small-block DFI's (2.5xs @ 450 lbs, the 2.6L HPDI's @ 468) should be fine on the XTB's. So with this, you can include the older 3.0L Carb OMC (@ 450 lbs) and probably the 3.0L EFI Merc's as well (467 lbs).

I would love to see what a XTB would do with a 300x on her!

I always thought that Yellow Black Ed Kolski XTB was the sharpest XTB I have seen.

whipper

Ya im the flip flop expert on going 2.5 or 3.0.:LMAO: im starting to steer to the builds possible with the steel sleeve 2.5,s and the numbers get mighty impressive for a fraction of what a new motor costs and still get reliability. Maybe not the fuel mileage but the difference buys a lot of fuel. Those XTB,s are nice having that extra room for sure. i know the GS gets a little cramped when your floating around with more than two. Ya gota throw two over board on a floaty then shes fine.:laughing

Darth VMAX

AS much as I would love to have a XB21 2+3, I am thinking my next rig will be an XTB but have some glass work done so the rear bench from a XB2003 could be installed. I REALLY like the openess and the fact it still has the rear swim platforms unlike the new XB's.

My dream would to be to find one with the open front storage, and try to rig a 300 Vmax or a built 2.6 HPDI on it.

allisonpilot

The specification sheet that was posted is the same one I have for my 1989 XTB-21. The centerline is 19'6' with approx weight of 995#s. NO wood construction. The specification sheet for 1992 has the 19'11' centerline with approx weight 1050#s.

Tim Bostic

My '87 XTB21 that we refurbished at the factory has a wooden transom. I think that's all that's wooden. I know the rest of the boat is core material since we had to replace a couple of spots on the bottom that had major impact damage!
I believe they changed to NO wood about mid-88?
The transom was solid & if it ever gets soft, I'll pull the engine & take it back to Darris for a complete update!!!.... then it'll be good to go for another 25 years!!!
I do love the boat & plan on keeping it the rest of my life!!!! It's a GREAT boat!!!

BigCountryx

Very cool, thanks. My idea has always been to remove the side console and front deck, then build a deck all the way back to the console area (Like an XB02) Then use twin XB02 consoles (side mounted obviously) then build a step/door in the center that bould be access to the front deck and also the rod locker. Should give lots of deck space, legroom, and still keep the 4 bucket seat capability.