XR-2001 changes

badbait

An electronic timer is subject to the charge of the battery powering it. Difference in voltage changes time trim is on. More than one race lost because of this. They can and do stick ON. They can and do reset themselves, double trim. More than one has crashed because of this.
KISS method

SLOmofo, you forgot to mention that more than one has crashed without the electronic timer. lol What's really nice about going slower is you have time to do all that chit yourself.

It was good seeing you also. I was given the tour from Dave after mentioning you were a friend of mine. (he didn't think you had any freinds) He took Larry and I into his shop on wheels and I was truely impressed with his total setup. When he showed me how his software worked I was blown away. That was the first time in my life that I'd gotten to see some real performance outboards.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Casey,

Do you have or use a trim gauge as well as this cable-trim-limit system, or did you do away with the gauge in favor of the device?

Can you please post a picture of the motor-side end of this device? Thanks!! -Lou

Casey G

Lou,

Galen goes by Evin Rude on Byuboyz. here's a link to his profile http://www.byuboyz.com/forums/member.php?u=239

I run a 12" so it's way different now, but here's some pictures I took when I still had a 15". if you look close you can see what I had to do to rig it to work with the short ram bolt that takes the place of the Stainless Marine Actuator Pin.

ziemer

An electronic timer is subject to the charge of the battery powering it. Difference in voltage changes time trim is on.
If you're running in any sort of organized drag event and your battery is not properly charged, you're a fool. The timer running different isn't as big of a factor as your motor trimming slower. A slower trimming motor means a slower boat. :beer:

SLOmofo

If you're running in any sort of organized drag event and your battery is not properly charged, you're a fool. :beer:
I agree I am a fool, butt not because of an electronic trim timer, Don't have one.
I'm just relaying information. Trying to reduce the learning curve.

LuLu of the Left, :cuss info inbound.

Let it be known you are taking from the other camp. OMC. ER, Gelan Burden, Evin Rude are the same person.

Larry D

If these timers are so bad, maybe someone should let the guys that run them in NHRA classes know. Maybe they would win more races.later Larry D

ziemer

I agree I am a fool, butt not because of an electronic trim timer, Don't have one.
Just making the point, that no matter what you use... be it a trim timer, limiter switch, or nothing at all, your boat is gonna leave different and react different if your battery ain't fully charged.

ALLISONMAN

as long as the battery isnt below 11.something volts the electrical stuff should all be fine!!!! because we are talking about a regulated charging electrical system. Most dragcar racers dont run an altenator and they dont have any problems useing these delay box's to cut .001 lights so that is pretty consistant!!!!

Casey G

Brain i don't think he's talking about the delay box itself, more what it controls.

let's say your run time is set for a second and it trims to point x with a fresh battery. in a 10+ boat field you may have to start and stop you boat 20 plus times while you out there and on top of the fuel pumps we run our batteries get weaker late in the race. since trim pumps are affected by the voltage it will not trim to the same spot late in the race since we all know our wimpy 16amp systems can't keep up. Drag cars only make one pass and get to charge between rounds.

That on top of the safety part of it is why i run a limit switch in conjunction with a trim computer

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Casey thank you for posting the pictures of the motor-side too. :beer: It was just about as I had imagined; dual cables for the limiter and the gauge.

Rocket

This is one of three patent claims for Darris' skidplaner. The analogy is that of an upside-down drinking glass in a bucket of water. When you pull up on it, the vacuum (created by atmospheric pressure) wants to resist it coming up. That's what a boat coming out the hole is trying to do, in part. The distance between the skidplaner and the back of the hull is meant to relieve this, just as Bryan has stated.

Lou

PS Bryan, thanks for your observations on old vs new XR hulls!!!

I like these!

RedAllison

Randys looks SWEET. I just wonder tho on some homemade plates, if during a bat turn/blowout if they might dig in and cause the boat to roll? I suppose if you spinnin the bow is dug in enough that the transom/pad area are clear of the water anyway.

KEWL job on Gdaddy's ol boat! :beer:
RA