Xb21

R

Redding XB21

Have any of the '21/3L owners tried shortening the setback on the jackplate? I know that the wedges help alot but was thinking of bringing in the motor?

Gene

XB21er

Gene I haven't but the problem I see is there isn't clearance for the cables. If you solve that problem then you'll need to get some lift back.

Craig

GFinch

What is the set back on yours now Gene?

You've been talking to that evil man stinkbait again haven't you!

R

Redding XB21

I was just thinking (that's scary) that with all that weight back there??? I saw the clearance problem but was non the less curious if anyone had tried anything.
Mid 90's no problemo!!! :twisted evil

badbait

Gene, Gene, Gene, your boat runs and handles great. I wouldn't mess with it. There are other ways to get a better hole shot. I can show you how to take a full second off yours for the drag race next year and it will only cost you a case of beer. Plus you can help me drink it. If I can't take a second off your time I'll buy you a case plus I'll help you drink it. How can you loose.

R

Redding XB21

:embarassed:embarassed I should have known that you would have a fix for me. All I'm concerned about is putting some A boat on that contractor guy from Oakland. I'm tired of that Margarita Mixer getting past me, come to think of it, I guess I'll put a sea anchor behind Lars as well. Perhaps that new 21 should be the "challange?
Should I just give it up? NAAAAAAAAAAAA :beer:

cj707

I'm sure Bill has something to try, but I fixed mine with a prop. It's not an 03/280, but 100% better than it was. Although, I would like to rip that aluminum surfboard off and shorten it by half.

J

John Richied

Lars, Can you just remove it and try it like that, or is it lagged into the pad/hull?

cj707

Good question John, I'll look into that. I just have a feeling that since it looks like an after thought, the hole shot must have really sucked before he came up with the surf board. But that interferes with the prop bite during hole shot. Doesn't matter now anyway. Since I always have such good luck with these POS mercury products, I was lucky enough to have my gear case lock up at 80 yesterday! good times.

R

Redding XB21

:gasp:gasp didja have your hands full?
Probably not, You knew it was bound to happen just like 'ole badbait

badbait

Lar's, it sounds like you may of had a shift shaft seal berp loose. Drain the case and you will know for sure. Mine was all water and no oil. Tell me, did you do a 180 and stop. That will put a little $$it in your shorts. Mercury covered the lower unit but they didn't allow anything for the cleanup of my upolstery.

Last edited:

GFinch

If stink bait's right you might look into what Gene did to fix his finaly! Has to do with Three Red Necks in a Field.

R

Redding XB21

I PM'd Lars with my fix. This was after 3 sets of propshaft seals, 1 shift shaft carrier& seal, and 2 (1st one came in damaged) propshaft bearing & carrier assy.
:smileMerc stood behind all the fixes. Thanks. Great dealer and staff here too:smile