xb2003 towing weight

pcrussell50

Who wants to drive a truck all the time? It would be like driving a Bayliner boat. Better than walking but not by much.
LOL. I hear ya brother. I do a little road amateur road racing, and it looks like you might too, based on your handle. I like speed and handling waaay too much to tolerate a truck except for missions that ONLY a truck can perform. Back while my race car was still street legal, I folded down the rear seats, opened the hatch and piled it HIGH with dirty, moist, barky, spider-infested firewood. It ripped the headliner, it was piled so high. But it was preferable to a truck, because of the hour's worth of beautiful twisty mountain road on the way up there that would have been an absolute waste in a truck.

My wife's dad, a pro bass fisherman, is such a truck guy that he rented a truck to take his girlfriend on a date while he was waiting for a new truck from his sponsor. I rolled my eyes big-time over that one.

In this world, there are fighter pilots and transport pilots, I guess.

-peter

edgerat

I got a 500hp 1300ft lb dodge truck that would rock your guys world :) I can tow anything I want and beat pretty much anything on the street and then get 25mpg on the highway ;)

Lotus 50

Actually although your truck would probably be a lot faster in a straight line than either of my 'sports cars', I'd rather be driving something smaller, lighter, and more agile.

At the end of the day, I spend far more time in my car than in my boat, so I want my car time to be positive. I think I'll sign off now and remove the hard top for the summer.

pcrussell50

Actually although your truck would probably be a lot faster in a straight line than either of my 'sports cars', I'd rather be driving something smaller, lighter, and more agile.
every one's different, but i don't find straightlining to be an adequate testosterone outlet. It's too easy and doesn't require the cojones that hauling azz through a corner does.* we "cornermen" call it "flatlining" because compared to flying through a corner, that's about what it is.

notwithstanding that, a truck with that much torque must be a diesel. which means it must weigh a good deal over 7000lbs. a current dodge 1-ton diesel weighed in at 7900 lbs. and that's _before_ a bunch of heavyweight options that a lot of people who chip themselves up to big power and torque typically add. these days, it's nothing at all for a fairly common sports car to kill that kind of power to weight ratio. so even a 500hp full sized, one-ton, diesel truck can be left heavily out-gunned even in a straight line. hell, 500+ hp is not all that much to write to write home about any more in a 4000lb, 4-door sedan. I have one of these for my wife. My coupe is quicker still. So, while cornering is my main thing, i don't like to leave much on the table, even when it comes to acceleration.

any spare money i have goes to making my cars faster, not my truck... better return on the investment, don't you know.

*of course, driving a fast in a padded vee hull is a whole different kettle of fish... even in a straight line, it requires skill and cojones :)

-peter

Last edited:

edgerat

Does it make any difference if the truck weighs 6500lbs and runs in the low teens? :) I get what you guys are saying, I just don't make enough dough to go road-racing. The truck allows drag racing, sled-pulling and daily driving. I am envious of those with a good road car, that is for certain!
Isaac

pcrussell50

racing ain't cheap, that's for sure. the only way i can afford it is to do all the work, [including engine building], myself. low teens is flying for a truck. you must have found a way to get some good traction. well done. and diesels have a history in road racing too. until very recently, audi was kicking some serious butt with them.

-peter