xb2003 towing weight

pcrussell50

looking for a ballpark weight for an xb2003 with a 2.5L motor AND trailer. is it possible to come in at or below 2000 lbs?

that seems to be the max towing weight of a lot of non-truck/non-suv vehicles.

-peter

chad202

With boat, motor, jackplate, batteries, rigging, full fuel, and trailer, you're looking around 2500lbs.

catfish123

What does a dual axel trailer weigh Chad? I would have thought the overall weight with batteries, gas, etc would have been closer to 3000lbs.

patches

My single axle tube trailer under my XR 2002 weighs 840 lbs. Another axle and bigger fenders I would think would be another 250 or so. I bet Chad's weight is awfully close if not a little light

bigtis

Chad's -pretty darn close. figuring most boats rigged decently lite. I'm sure you could put 2-350 more pounds with ease just loading the boat up, but on average say the boat and mota rigged minus driver is 14-1550. that'll give you 2500 give or take a little. the boat isn't heavy enough to need a tandem, but the trailer will asorb the road alot better. the single axle will be easier to pull, and will get a tad better fuel mileage.

Darth VMAX

Just becasue a car can tow 2K doesn't mean its a great idea to do it. Cars don't have tranny coolers, the rear end ratio's are not set-up for towing (especially intial pulling from a stop). Tow in hills or stepp boat ramps.

Sure it can be done, but IMO I would look for something more suitable. Case in point my dad was a sedan man. Even with the power of the Northstar V8, his caddilac SUCKED for towing his old 17.5ft ski boat.

RedAllison

For an XB2003 figure:
Hull 1100 (talkin all seats and "ready")
Trailer 750-1000 (I think Boatmate says shipping weight on a XB03 tandem is 900)
2.5 series engine 400 (give or take 25#)
2 batteries 80-120
average troller 50-75
full 30 gallon tank (avg 6.25# per gallon) 187

Now depending on how much tackle you have, figure realistic, water ready, "towed weights" to be 2750 on the lightside to as much as 3000#s for the heaviest.

I've always found that for most small/mid-size and gas 1/2ton trucks that half of their rated tow rating yields "adequate" towing performance. My Avalanche is rated for 7500#s and about the heaviest I've towed was my Chevelle which with the ancient U-haul trailer I rented was around 5000#s. My wifes Expedition is rated for 10,000#s and it tows harder than my Avie ( :embarassed ) but even at that I'd hate to get much over the 6-7k# range behind it. IMHO only the HD oil burners can really tackle loads over the 3-4 ton mark!

V-6s just don't have the torque to move full sized, heavy weight bass boats like XB21s or heavier rigs. But they'll move the 02s and 03s "ok" here east of the Great Plains. :beer:
RA

Last edited:

ziemer

I remember when I first bought my GS, I had to have it weighed in order to register the trailer. (FL titles trailers over a certain weight, so they require a weight slip) Anyway, with an XRi 200, on a single axle trailer, I want to say it was 2400 lbs. That was with some fuel and gear. :beer:

pcrussell50

thanks guys, great info! it will help a lot. i don't even have an xb03 yet. and i have a good v6 suv that is approaching middle age. i'm not crazy about trucks or big suv's [too much of a speed and handling nut], BUT i'm not unwilling to man up and get what it takes.

further info is that my tows will be 15 miles or less on flat road. and fairly infrequent, since the boat will be kept near the lake, which is 5 hours away.

we live by the ocean, and have a couple of small light fishing boats, [1000#, ready to tow], so ALL of our cars are ok for the 4 block tow to the harbor.

-peter

Darth VMAX

Ok, I missed that part. For some reason I thought you were inquiring for towing a XB03 with something BESIDES an SUV or Truck.

Here goes, I have a XB2002 (single axle trailer) that I tow with a Honda Ridgeline (3.5 V6). It pulls it through the Ozarks just fine. In fact the constant 25-40 mph Kansas winds give it more fits if I am heading directly into it. I going to be getting a new vehicle for my wife (we are adding another child to the family) and am probably going to get her a GMC Acadia. I have no doubts that will tow my Allison with no problems.

pcrussell50

Ok, I missed that part. For some reason I thought you were inquiring for towing a XB03 with something BESIDES an SUV or Truck...
no, you read right. i _am_ hoping to avoid having to get a truck or a large suv. i only will if i have to. I just wanted to get an idea of the weight we are talking about with the understanding that i will take responsibility for the safety of my towing rig, whatever that turns out to be. remember, my tows will be 15 miles each way, flat road, perhaps 20 days a year.

i'm happy to keep talking about towing related topics, but i would feel guilty that it's not in the towing forum. the only reason i posted here was, i was just looking for a weight.

-peter

Darth VMAX

Alright. So basically you do not want a full-sized truck or SUV. There are LOTS of mid-sized V6 powered SUV's and trucks that will do what you are asking for :) The 20' Allisons tow beautifully

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
My trans am pulls around my 2003 just fine with normal load in it. I usually pull it with my truck if I'm going very far, but the trans am does just fine.

pcrussell50

My trans am pulls around my 2003 just fine with normal load in it. I usually pull it with my truck if I'm going very far, but the trans am does just fine.
i hear ya. i have a 400hp, 6-speed manual sedan for the wife that weighs 3950#, and a 400hp, 6-speed manual coupe, that weighs only 3000#. i haven't towed with either, but i could tow my little boston whaler, 1000# ocean rig, [boat, motor, and trailer], the 4 blocks to the harbor pretty easily, i reckon.

still, i'd like as little as i can get away with to tow an xb03, 30mi round trip, flat roads, 20 times a year.

i use a 1986, 5-speed nissan stanza as a harbor car for my little whaler.

-peter

xb03fs

I have a trailblazer and it does great, however, I havent' towed it with the motor on it yet

B HEBERT

The limiting factor with most vehicles is the front wheel drive. If you have rear wheel drive and a v-6, it should be ok.

Lotus 50

Volvos have the highest tow ratings of any random cars. 2200 lb for the smaller cars, and 3300 lb for the larger cars.

A small Volvo would suit me fine. We don't tow often, or far. Who wants to drive a truck all the time? It would be like driving a Bayliner boat. Better than walking but not by much.