xb2002 with 3.0l 300

badoxr2001

im trying this combo, was woundering if anyone hadd any input on what to expect as far as set up. motor height,pitch prop, and what mph to expect?

i have an idea on set-up but all info would be helpful

thank's bado

Jimxb02

That combo will run well over 100 MPH.

However, with a non-ratcheting gear case, motor weight and high center of gravity it will be hard to control ---- your life expectancy will drop off the chart, ie. you will not live long.

Not a good idea ; get a 2.5 liter and you can run over 100 MPH safer !!!!!

Jim

whipper

That combo will run well over 100 MPH.

However, with a non-ratcheting gear case, motor weight and high center of gravity it will be hard to control ---- your life expectancy will drop off the chart, ie. you will not live long.

Not a good idea ; get a 2.5 liter and you can run over 100 MPH safer !!!!!

Jim
:LMAO::gasp Pretty much a lot of motor for a light craft ie Heavy. If your willing to spend some $$ you can make it work with a 12 or 15 inch mid,ratcheting gear case mod. That will bring down the motor so your less tipsy and the ratcheting gear case will allow you to slow down without slamming the bow down on deceleration causing many death scenarios.

Alternately if you have the nads and want an even faster combo than the 3.0 300 put a drag 2.5 on the back with a 29 pitch prop and be any were from 112-130mph depending on allot of factors. Even a 260 would be a better combo on an 02. With a 260 you'll save enough money over the 3.0lt to keep her running for a decade.

Putting a 3.0LT on an 02 is like putting a 454 in a crotch rocket. It defeats the purpose of power to weight advantage. Not to mention you'll have no revs.

badoxr2001

i hadd a number of 260's and so does every one and there mother, looking for something different.
i owend drag's as well with 260's from personally expirance i don't see a 260 carrying a load as good as a 3.0l and and especially loaded.
i know brad ware ran this set-up,has onyone else and if so any tip's

thank's bado

hack02

Somebody posted a pic of one on here one time. Seemed to work pretty well being as the boat was also used for drag racing. A 300 should only be around a hundred pounds heavier; a little less setback should take care of that. The 02 hull should easily handle it, especially if its a Tournament model as they are no light weight by any stretch of the imagination. Theres been several OMC big block rigs ran over the years. Also a guy told us about his GS-300 combo a while back. Ran 110 according to him, no handling issues. Also BadBait over on the left coast rigged his 2003 with a 3 litre 250 and made it work great. A pm to him would be worth the effort.
For a novice A-boat owner I would have my doubts, but for a seasoned veteran I would say go for it. Running a hundred turning an effortless 6500 sounds like a nice lake boat.
A couple less inches of setback and keep the propshaft at a conservative position, say maybe an eigth below should be a good starting point. Keep us posted.

propmanjay

Short mid and ratcheting L/U I don't see a problem. If it's load carrying you want it will run a bigger prop with less rpm and fuel. All that tourque would be nice. Have yue seen Gary's 03 with the 3.0 450 horse omseez it is a beast. You guys get it all figured out so that when I dump my XR for an 02 I won't have too much R&D.

badoxr2001

Somebody posted a pic of one on here one time. Seemed to work pretty well being as the boat was also used for drag racing. A 300 should only be around a hundred pounds heavier; a little less setback should take care of that. The 02 hull should easily handle it, especially if its a Tournament model as they are no light weight by any stretch of the imagination. Theres been several OMC big block rigs ran over the years. Also a guy told us about his GS-300 combo a while back. Ran 110 according to him, no handling issues. Also BadBait over on the left coast rigged his 2003 with a 3 litre 250 and made it work great. A pm to him would be worth the effort.
For a novice A-boat owner I would have my doubts, but for a seasoned veteran I would say go for it. Running a hundred turning an effortless 6500 sounds like a nice lake boat.
A couple less inches of setback and keep the propshaft at a conservative position, say maybe an eigth below should be a good starting point. Keep us posted.

boat is a tournament, i came in to a 6'' jack plate, im gonna start at around an eighth below, i also im gonna ally cut the skeg, and start at a 30 pitch. will keep you posted thank's for the insite.

bado

suicidealli

hell yeah!!! i would say do it!!!! i would think 3" to 6" set back because of weight. a fuss under the pad, and dont trim the boat much, keep it neutral, and some practice.... it is going to b a little flighty, but i would do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 2002 at 110 i would think shouldnt be to much of a handful. you can always add some weight to the bow too.

roy

K.Kiser

Don't try to turn the boat sharp, even at moderately slow speed... I can promise you that the boat can drop into an outside lean and the higher weight can leave you swimming...

badoxr2001

she'll be in the water buy this weekend, i think it's gonna be a fun combo. just gonna have to feel her out and she what the boat tell's me. i'm update some info after her first voyage saturday.

thank's bado

Darth VMAX

And I thought hanging a 2.6L 200 Vmax HPDI (@ 468lbs) was pushing the limits on a XB2002.

The 3.0L Opti is yet 40 pounds more!

suicidealli

if it works but just a little heavy. you could always have a 2.5 15" mid, and a 2.5 sporty on the bottom, and have taylor make a plate/drive shaft for a 3/0L. then you have non ratcheting, and lose some weight.. it will work........ guys are starting to put them on drags with 12" mids.... i think the powerhead is less than 50 lbs heavier.

suicidealli

yeah but the powerhead is 50 lbs more than a 2.5 right? almost 1/2 the total weight can be eliminated by running 2.5 mid, and lower. the 3.0L with the custom adaptor will fit on a 2.5 12" mid or any other 2.5 mid... that is the other 60 lbs. go from the average guy runing a 2.5 20" o/s and 12" of set back, and you go 5" of set back and 50 to 60 lbs heavier it will work for sure.. runing all 3.0L stuff then your 120 lbs or so heavier.. just sayin!

BigRedAlli

If ya haven't cut the skeg yet, i would try it first. I would think a little more skeg would be a good thing with the larger pitch wheels. Just thinking out loud...

cj707

OK, the non racheting gearcase sucks. But whats the difference between slowing down from 90+ in an 02, an 03 or a 21 footer? myself(xb21/300xs) and badbait(2003/250xs) have had the gearcase lock up at 90+ and not go around. Setback is the killer. One of the Left coasters runs a 300xs on a very small tunnel. works great. Anybody who has been to the CA delta can attest to that. Keep it close, and you will be fine.