XB2002 225x fist impressions

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
OOPS, 1st impressions.

I had 11" setback with one plate being hydraulic. I swapped the 5 1/2 hydro plate with a 7" Allison plate. Now I have 12 1/2" setback and took 25 - 30# off the tail.

I only had it out twice for a little bit. It seems to be much quicker than the 03 was was. I think it cuts thru the waves smoother too but it has been pretty smooth, just a few smal boat wakes and my own.

It really pick the bow up easy too. The odd part is that when I let off the throttle to cruise the bow really pops up higher. Mash the gas and the bow goes down. It is almost scary how much the bow pops up when I let off the gas to cruise. It is kind of like the prop bites more and picks it way up.

I am just running a 26 trophy plus at the time. mid range from 25 - 75 is awesome, it really pulls hard. It hit 90 without even trying hard with more left.

So far I am impressed. I can't belive how much different the 02 is compared to the 03. Same engine and prop on both boats.

Someday I'll figure out how to change my signature picture.

Last edited:

Luketrician

Glad you like it so far. The acceleration and speed is something that is unlike any other bass boat around. The 225X with that 2002 should equal some great gas milage too.

catfish123

Mashing the gas and having the bow go down, IMO, can be the motor may be a bit high. What setback do most people run on what you have now? Glad you're happy with it Dave.

Jimxb02

The xb02 is a fun boat to drive !!!! There is a great variation in how the boat reacts depending on power, setup and prop.

My xb02 has 13.5 inches of setback and 3/8" above pad with a sportmaster. I'm going to experiment with a higher setting next year. I have a modified lip and the boat will lay down and level out on hard acceleration and speeds above 90 MPH. Up around 100 MPH trim is very sensitve. Be carefull !!!!! Lean to left -- trim up ; lean to right --- trim down .

My best fun prop is a 28" Drag3 ; My best top end is a Hoss 30" .

Jim

mdevrow

JMO Trophy props dont like to run High, So I don't run them. Like Jim said somewhere above even on the Pad you'll still have plenty of lift on the 02 with a small hub like the drag or Hoss,( but as you noticed) the 02 does not need much lift They will Fly.
Great sport boat and they will run in rough water for their size, Enjoy the 02 I still miss mine!!

fnshrmaster

Do you like the 02 better than the 03 from a driving standpoint? Did you sell the 03 because of something you didn't like about it or were you looking to go faster? Just curious....Kurt

catfish123

I think he was looking for more leg room for back seat passengers, as if anyone would want to ride with him at 90 mph anyway.........LOL.........It's a case where the "smaller" boat has apparently more floor space........although I think that may even up a bit if you remove the front passenger seat from an XB2003. Not sure about the fast part, cause I don't think he ever fully explored the top end potential he had with his 03. Dave's a great guy, and hopefully the 02 fulfills all his expectations. No question, with equal power, they are a few mph faster. Ride quality, not sure on that one, wind protection, not an equal trade, fishability, not sure. Let er rip Dave.........you should be able to hit triple digits with that thing.

fnshrmaster

I think he was looking for more leg room for back seat passengers, as if anyone would want to ride with him at 90 mph anyway.........LOL.........It's a case where the "smaller" boat has apparently more floor space........although I think that may even up a bit if you remove the front passenger seat from an XB2003. Not sure about the fast part, cause I don't think he ever fully explored the top end potential he had with his 03. Dave's a great guy, and hopefully the 02 fulfills all his expectations. No question, with equal power, they are a few mph faster. Ride quality, not sure on that one, wind protection, not an equal trade, fishability, not sure. Let er rip Dave.........you should be able to hit triple digits with that thing.
I see. I always wonder when someone sells a hull. Some do it because they are looking for something a little different, others are compulsive boat fanatics that are never happy! I think I fit the second description. It's all good, they are both really nice boats. Kurt:big grin

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may sound dumb but I really don't know why I sold the 03. I never put it up for sale but a friend of a friend wanted it. It was a bit cramped in my opinion. Bob is correct, I never worked at top end numbers in the 03. I was happy and felt safe in the upper 80's.

I didn't plan on buying an 02. They intrigued me tho. The 02 seems more open. I wasn't trying for big numbers yesterday and was suprised when I looked at the GPS. I can't picture myself trying for tripple digits with this boat either.

I need to get my small shaft sporty fixed so I can try my 28 knob cut.

The 02 will stay on plane at 18 mph with no foil or skid planer.

chad202

I run my 25 trophy 1.5-1.75 above the pad with no problems. It holds the boat where ever I set it. It didn't at first but brought the prop to a local guy(baggy) and he worked it while I waited. Now the bow sits where it needs to be.

catfish123

Hi Chad.......On the Morning of July 14th, 2012, my bow too was sitting where it needed to be.........then all of a sudden, it wasn't, and things from that point on went downhill.........QUICKLY! I will NEVER,EVER have my motor that high again, NEVER, and if it scrubs off a few mph, I'm fine with that, heck, 60 mph now has my heart pounding.

LakeAnna

Hi Chad.......On the Morning of July 14th, 2012, my bow too was sitting where it needed to be.........then all of a sudden, it wasn't, and things from that point on went downhill.........QUICKLY! I will NEVER,EVER have my motor that high again, NEVER, and if it scrubs off a few mph, I'm fine with that, heck, 60 mph now has my heart pounding.
They will turn and turn hard and in a hurry... Been there and done that with the old GS. Lee Sanderson had to repair the glass work on the passenger side where It tried to throw me through my girlfiend and out the side... NOT a pleasant outing for anyone.

Of Course you have to climb back on the horse though... LOL

Last edited:

chad202

I understand Bob. I've done it in my blazer, my allys, going fast and going slow. Many things go into it, not just engine height. How's everything my friend?

catfish123

Everythings pretty good Chad, I still have a little leg pain, but not much. The boat and motor are all back together but of course, now our boating season is over. I have an issue with some slop in my hydraulic steering that I need to get fixed. I have had ongoing issues with water temp gauge not working right, but I think I finally know what I need to do to fix it. I'm gonna have new carpet put in the boat this winter. I am convinced that the motor heights you had run on your 03 with similar lip to what I have are perfect for me too. I just got it up there too much and should have known better. I think you would have picked up on that long before I did if you would have had the opportunity to drive my boat. I'm already looking forward to next year's boating season and possibly retirement from work. How's everything with you?..........I hope all is well........Bob

Last edited:

suicidealli

They can BITE you...... I have been nipped a few times. My 02 is very forgiving, but has tried to come around on me twice.. I went right some and then left some.. Prolly 90* each way... Got her back straight..... Not One of those hard right turns, where your facing the wrong way when finished.. Those suck, and hurt.........