XB 21's bassport/250XS

spudman14

RA,
You may be right about the two seater. Mine is a 2006 with batteries up front
and I have no problem with holeshot. It's a 280 though.

fishnfireman

The problem is not bad at lower elevations and for what ever reason it is worse with the big block mtrs....Proly the taller gears and the power band.

The reason I think the plate is part of the issue on these rigs is this---
When you hit the gas, the nose comes up and the prop/mtr bogs a little..Which is normal with the 3.0 ltrs and a Trophy prop at anything over 1100 ft elevation with a load. If things are working as they should---just about the time the mtr gets some power made- the prop slips a little, the bow comes down, the prop bites and away you go.

What's happening on these rigs--first you pull the vent plugs out of the prop so it does not bogg so bad. And it works fine ---until you add more elevation, summer time temps.and a full load... now when you hit the gas the nose comes up, the mtr bogs, the prop starts slipping a little. but the nose stays up, the prop is getting just enough rpms to start trying to lock up, but the mtr can't quite get over the hump to get into it's power band with the tall gears---- so there you are, with the bow stuck up in the air, the prop slipping at just the wrong rpms. Some times the mtr will spin up but there is not enough water for the prop to get a good bite in.. I've seen it go for 100 ft like that (very embarasing ) for an Allison. It's like your trying to take off with the mtr trimmed half way up.

Now back to the plate--with the bow up in the air--where does that put the plate in relation to the prop ? Looks to me like it's pushing water out and away from in front of the prop. thus leaving a hole about 19 inches wide just a few inches in front of the prop.
If things are working good it's not an issue... as the boat will lay over before the plate can cause a problem.... But when it has to struggle to get the nose back down.....it creates the air hole.....Just my theory ><

RobShaw-BasSport

FFM, not sure it would have mattered to Darris which motor was being bolted onto it as the 3.0 Mercs all weight the same. I do know that he pushes the 225 Sport such as RA has. I opted for the 250XS and have no regrets. I live on the coast here in Va so I rarely have to deal with elevation. Thats a good observation on that skid plate but Ive not had any issues with blow out.