XB 21's bassport/250XS

R

Redding XB21

:help
Well, it's time to replace my 31/2 blade trophy 26. This last weekend I had a "vibration problem". When I stopped to fish I checked the prop &:very sad.

You guys with this setup I need your input. I fish fully loaded & with the trophy, it was kinda slow ( to me-full livewell) getting on plane.
One of the guys in our club, he does the prop work for Phil's Prop shop but they don't have any experience with Allisons, had an extra 25 tempest--took forever to get up but once up, it seemed to have more bow lift and ran real good.

I want better hole shot+the same or better top end.
No problem?

Thanks Guys
Gene

badbait

Gene I have a 25 Trophy you can borrow until you makeup your mind. I also have a new 28 Chopper ll coming. You may want to use my 25 to get by on until I get the 28 Chopper ll. It should work really well on your boat. The holeshot and topend should be better than the Trophy. Let me know if you want the Trophy? All you have to do is come and get it.

Last edited:

RedAllison

Hydromotive Quad IV X-OB is an AWESOME fishing prop. Comes up good, hauls the freakin kitchen sink and lifts my boat so much that the glassed in transducer quits reading at only 45ish. I mean it'll pick the nose up higher than you need it to. Can also be run higher than the Trophy and is a MUCH stronger prop so it'll last awhile!

29"s is what I think Todd has rigged most 250owners out with!!! :beer:
RA

ps
Might wanna call Darris, he has a new 2degree wedge to mount between the motor and plate as well as a new cav plate. He says those two combined cuts the holeshot in half again!

R

Redding XB21

Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is clear it with the financial advisor:smile. I'll call Todd tomorrow and see what he has to say and $$$$$$$$$$.

Bill, I'll get with you on the spare prop. Thanks for the offer.

Gene

badbait

Gene if you can wait a few days I should have that Chopper ll in and I also have the new 29 Hydromotive like RA is talking about and your welcome to try them both. Just bring your boat down and well go to the Afterbay. The Hydromotive is very efficient and easy to drive. I just wish the hole shot was a little better. It just needs a little more air over the blades when you first get on it. I'm going to fix that when I get a little time. It runs 80 GPS at 5000 rpm. I just ran the prop for 2 days down at the Delta and was getting between 5.5 and 6 miles per gallon. We were running 70 to 85 miles per day at 80 plus most of the time. Craig was also running one with a little less pitch than mine on his XB21.

Blueally XB21

RA, do you know if the improved cav-plate and wedges are just for the 3.0 litres or for the 2.5's as well?

Thanks,
Harvey

R

Redding XB21

I was thinking of wedges and moving the jack plate:confused: in as well. Ole Badbait has suggested that a couple of times and his setup (2003/250) is real tight. I was thinking of taking out the spacer that the jack plate is mounted on. All I need us time

RedAllison

BGP I don't know if Darris worked two different cav plates or not, but he told me while RDWII was being built that the cav plate on the 3.0 motors is actually smaller (in width) than on 2.5s. Other than that I'm not sure if there is any difference between the two. I think the biggest thing he did is cut it back where no water would hit the top of it while the prop was up and running when the coal is poured to it.

Wedge wise, he said that the new 24'er has a 22 degree transom and he said that from now on ALL of his new boats will feature such. Thus his using 2 degree wedges for existing boats, so I would assume they'll work on anything.

I told him to throw them in a box for RDWII but our wires musta got crossed because they weren't on it. I gotta get some put on mine. With a 3.0 motor the 21 has quite a bit of bowrise that isn't present when running 2.5s on 21s.

:beer:
RA

RobShaw-BasSport

I have the 2 degree wedge on my 08 BasSport Pro. I'm running a 28 Hydromotive Quad IV with 8 ventilation holes. I can get up on step with FULL load including full livewells in about 1.5 boat lengths. I only have 5 hours though on my 250 XS.

spudman14

I've broken several 26p Trophys on my Bassport/280. I am going to try a pro ET and
also the Hydromotive. It may take a month or so but I'll let you know the results.

RedAllison

Spud how high are you running your gearcase on your 21?

I'm gonna hafta re-measure my original measurements, according to my calculations I'm jackin my 225SportXS to Stroker/Bullet heights!!! :cuss
RA

V6MERC

I have a outboard jet boat dealer that used transom wedges that I'm good friends with, so I called them and asked him if he had any, and he said his are about an inch thick at the top... How thick are these 2 degree wedges at the top? I'm thinking his are about 10!! :laughing

spudman14

RA,
I'm running even to 1/4" above. The 1/4" above with full livewell will break Trophys.
If I remember to lower the motor to about 1/4" below the pad with full livewell, Trophy
is ok.
Do you wish you had gotten the 300xs or are you happy?

RedAllison

Naw I'm completely happy with the 225Sporty it's a GREAT fishin motor, I don't think I've burned 10 gallons on a single trip yet! I've just been trying to figure out the sweetspot for my rig and it seems to like to run very high. But you can ask Neal (GotMyAlly) and Jeff (Mercboy175) my Sportmaster musta been molded in a crayon mold. It has a POOOOOOR shape and finish to it, and until I really jack it up it has quite a bit of torque steer. After this season is over I might do a lil sanding/grindin on her.

But like I said, I still have tons of water pressure and the boat lifts great when jacked to the moon. I even chopped the throttle twice at over 80gps each time and the boat just sat down on the keel line and declerated like a mofo. (I could feel it wanting to spin right if you didn't stay in control, but nothing frightening.)

I also kinda like having a boat that big, that heavy and that overloaded that still runs in the 80s while just having a "lil ol duecena qwatuh" onda back! Ol big red girl surprises ALOT of folks. :beer:
RA

RobShaw-BasSport

Darryl, the 2 degree wedges that Allison recommends actually goes between the jack plate and the outboard. I'll try to take a good digital pic of mine. Anyway, you hardly notice its there unless you know to look for it and it's much less than 1" thick at the top.

badbait

I've been running wedges for years and have always located them between the motor and the jackplate. My only reasoning when I first installed them was that the jackplate was a little longer than the wedge and left a sharp edge and the bottom of the jackplate to dig into the gel. I suppose you could take a file to the bottom of the jackplate and eliminate that problem. Maybe my Allison plate was a little longer than some. I have had no problems with it installed this way. Rob may be saying the same thing I'm not sure when he refers to the outboard if he means the boat or the motor.

fishnfireman

Yep, same thing.

My boat came from the factory with the fol bolted onto the transom: a 3" bracket, 5 1/2" CMC hyd plate, and the 2 degree wedge.
Rob.

Did Darris know that there would be a 250 put on your boat when it left his place ??
My rig came with a total of 8" set back from Darris with him knowing it would have a 225 Pmax. After a few hole shot issues he advised me to put another 1" of set back on.
I did several things to it at once so I can't say for sure which one, or if it was a combination of all......but the holeshot is much better. However there are 2 guys that I know who have the big 3ltr mtrs on the 21's---with a LOAD they do Ok on holeshot untill you start adding some elevation. At 4000 ft one of them droped all the way to a 23 Trophy and the hole shot is horrible.

I still think that the skid plate or tin roof as froggy calls them...is keeping water off the prop once the front raises up.

How far past the transom does your skid plate come and how wide is it.

Mine is almost 5" back and 19 wide.

RedAllison

The factory offset recs for 21s are 9" for small block motors and 8" for 3.0 or motors over 450#s. I was surprised to see only a 1" difference between the two as recommended by Darris. I also think the skidplaner is the same one used on all 21s. But I think the 21 2seater might be a different animal entirely because of the further rearward seating and difference on just how much your troller batteries weigh if you have them under the front deck.

FFM are you guys experiencing excessive ventilation during holeshot (especially before the bow begins to break over)? If not and it's just slow, then I would assume the plate would NOT be keeping water off the prop. If it did then the prop WOULD be spinning to the moon quickly. My 27" QIV X-OB (double vents on each blade) doesn't let go at all. The bow comes up pretty high and with the Hotfoot at WOT the motor won't turn over 4K if I remember right. BUT I'm also a lil over proppped as well.

Next week I'm planning on running both a stock and A-cut 26" Trophy for comparison. I still want the X-OB for all around use and fast fishing, but if the Trophys do ok then I'm gonna find a beater for a back up and stump/spring prop. (I AINT gonna run my Hydromotive next March during our Lake Fork tourney!)

The only other prop I have run on my 21 is the 28" QIX OT that Todd built earlier this year for my XB03. Naturally with the big vents and being a thru/over on RDWII it would spin to the moon and I couldn't get on pad without having someone layup on the front deck. WAAAAAAAY to much slippage out of the hole. That 3.0 225Sporty is purty danged torqey! :beer: On my 225SS/XB03 it wouldn't slip at all comin out of the hole at WOT.
RA

Last edited: