XB-21 Setup

JWW8

I am still not getting the performance out of this rig that I expected. It is a BasSport Pro with a 250 Pro Xs. The LU is a coned Fleetmaster with 1:75 gears. Have a hydraulic JP and currently running a Blue Printed Bravo XS 28P with cup added. I have a good hole shot but hitting the limiter at 6100 RPM and 80 MPH with 2 on board, empty live well, and 1/2 tank of fuel. I expected better, like mid- 80s with a decent hole shot.

xb03fs

hydromotive X-OB....
I have a 2.5 liter 200 XRI with SVS and running a coned CLE, 1.87 gears, 26 X-OB. First test was yesterday. I ran it yesterday with my mom in the boat on a narrow river so the motor wasn't jacked way up and setup is not maxed out yet.
Slalom ski and fishing gear in the boat, 3 batteries and a 24 OMC troller, one 25 lb of bag of lead shot, anchor, tool box and various other items.. and I ran 77-78 up stream for miles with good holeshot, good midrange...
lifted early and I could tell the boat cleaned up much better and at a much lower speed than it did with my 26 OT (sold) or 24 X-OT (ski prop)...

I tore up a Triton 19XS 225 pros xs from holeshot through topend, jumped out early and he didn't catch me till I slowed down. We took off from 30 and we pulled even from 30 to 65 and then I walked him, put a couple hundred yards in him in less than a mile....he was solo, I was running two up...

The prop doesn't turn quite the way I want yet..but it is pretty damn close right now. I am confident Todd will get it exactly as I want it...

JWW8

Thanks. I am beginning to think I won't get the numbers I am looking for with 1:75 gears.

whipper

A 30 pitch should get you around 90 and your 28 Bravo isnt maxing out very well. The 28 at 6100 only running 80 sounds like the gearcase is to low. You should be running 85 with a 250XS 1.75 gears and a good 28 at 6100. I would try some other props and check to see were your propshaft hight is and were others are running theres that are running more efficiant.

JWW8

I did try a 30 Bravo and could hardly get out of the hole. With my JP all the way up, I am at 3/8" above pad.

xb03fs

is your motor dropping a cylinder? coil issues maybe? Is your hotfoot adjusted to get full trottle.....next time you go out go with a freind and have them snapp some WOT video ro picutres from the side...maybe you more or less trim
you should defiantly be running better than that...

JWW8

It is a Titus Grisham cone. All cylinders are good on motor. Hot foot has already been adjusted to get WOT. I really don't think 90 MPH is achievable with 1:75 gears (and don't need to go that fast) but should be able to get more than 80 without hitting the limiter.

RobShaw-BasSport

My 250XS came with 1:75 gears and after 10 hours, I bought brand new 1:62 gears. I have no experience with that gearcase as I run a Robbie Patterson Sportmaster. I sent my ECU to Simon for a reflash as I used to hit the limiter prematurely. While I had the ECU off, I went ahead and sent him the flywheel too.

Fully loaded, these BasSPort Pro's (2 seaters) really arent 90 mph hulls. They can see 90 with a 250 but it aint fun...

RedAllison

2+2 is a 90+ hull all day, the 2seater AIN'T! But it sounds to me like there must be ALOT of slippage going on with it only doing 80 on the limiter. I'd for sure be ditching the "Cookie cutter gears", get a 1.62 & put a call into Todd Bucknell. :beer:

And also, is this case a coned Fleetmaster or coned Torquemaster???

hooken203

I am in the same boat so to speak. XB21 250 SHO QIV X 28R. Lower unit limits me to 1 3/4 below pad cant go higher due to loss of water pressure.1.75 gear. Hole shot is very poor top end 77 to 79 mph 5600 RPM. It will run faster but gets interesting to drive at much more than that.
My question is what difference would gear ratio make if you are getting an OK hole shot and top end RPM are where you want them.
I do have a new lower unit on the way with Hydro Tec mods with 1.75 gears (only choice with a Yamaha) I will be able to run it higher so at least I hope it will be easier to drive.

Allyfishing

I did try a 30 Bravo and could hardly get out of the hole. With my JP all the way up, I am at 3/8" above pad.
JWWS, I thought you were going to call Lee and discuss this with him?? I have the same boat, 2012 250XS/sportmaster 1.75 gears (worked by Robbie), 30P Bravo with dual PVS holes (done by Robbie) first set of holes open and second set of holes all closed.

My holeshot is excellent with 2 guys weighing in at 480LB all our gear and full tank of fuel.

I moved my 80LB cranking battery out of the rear of that port sponson to the front wall of that same compartment (basically against the rear of the passenger seat).

You knew you would hit the limiter with a 28P prop and 1.75 gears. I've been up to 87.9 but no further yet with the 30 bravo. I have no regrets going with the 1.75 gears!!!

Call Lee.

xb03fs

coning the lower will probably make a huge difference...If I was stuck 1.5" below the pad I would be significantly slower and it would feel like I was dragging an anchor....I have forgotten to raise my plate before I I thought I spun a hub it was so bad.

Allyfishing

Did you happen to try my 30P Bravo when it was down at Allison's to test on the other Bassport Pro?

I drop it to 1/2" below pad for take off and once up and really moving I bring it up to even with the pad for most of my running. And that 87+ I mentioned was at even with the pad and more left.

With my heavy partner, all our gear and a full tank i wanted less bow rise so Lee advised an Allison foil. Man what a difference!!!!! Every Pro should come stock with a foil on!!! that's how good they work!!!