Xb 2002 set up

tomoad

with full fishing load, probably 100 lb + TM, 3batteries, 3 bank changer, 3/4 tank of gas. with a 24ET ran 91 gps @8100 rpms. I have a 12'' set back. seems like at about 88 mph the nose or the boat instead of being in the up right position it lays down, lays flat running down the water, I noticed it on 2 occasions, there was no hint of blow out with the boat cocking to the right or left, just the nose came down and ran flat.... is this the lip on the pad doing this. my propshaft is either a hair below the pad or rt at it. I still dont believe im running it clean, i think it is still dragging water... trim was just a little positive not much above neutral . all the 2002 videos ive seen, the stern of the boat is way out of the water nose higher .

K.Kiser

I guess we'd have to know just "how flat" it is running... I'd suspect it's running drier than it feels, but without being there I'm only speculating... When it's running flat like you've described, does the boat still react sharply to trim inputs, or are you having to give a little more trim input to get the normal hull response.?

It is normal for the boats to push themselves over a bit in the high 80's and set in their own groove, but the question is just how much is it nosing over... I'd suspect that if it's not showing any tendancies to lean to either side, you're not far off..

patches

Sounds like its rolling over on the lip like its supposed to, give it an extra bump or two and watch the speedo go up.

suicidealli

Sounds like its rolling over on the lip like its supposed to, give it an extra bump or two and watch the speedo go up.
I agree, but be careful just in case it is trying to blow out.. I like to run around 70, and trim it up til it starts to slip, and the bow will move to the left. Tap the trim back down, and it will come back, and hook up... Give it another tap down, and start to run up the mph, and see if it still does it.. If so prolly just the lip... Most of the allys I have driven like to roll over around a 100, but a fully loaded boat, might do it sooner... Just don't want you to see you make the turn..

Roy

tomoad

what all is involve in taking the lip off? sand it down with what grit, fine? i dont want to remove it all but i think some would help

K.Kiser

what all is involve in taking the lip off? sand it down with what grit, fine? i dont want to remove it all but i think some would help

This is where this thread will take on a different identity... There's alot of experience in that lip, and the world record XB02 still had the factory one so draw your own conclusions.. The lip is a compounded shape, so be very careful or it can quickly require a trip back to have it reinstalled... If it is still the factory lip and not over .050" I would leave it alone -- given it's still in good condition along with the rest of the running surface..

xb03fs

I don't know know if my lip is stock or not but I can trim till the bow gets flighty but it losses mph and if I keeping trimming it lays over on the right. I think due to aerodynamics flat is fast as long as the hull is dry. Flat and wet leads to piss poor handling

xb03fs

I have not experienced interesting yet. But I think I am getting all I can out of my little 200 on an xb2003. With my 26 ot I broke 90 down river over the summer and in the cool weather I ran 89 with a buddy 7200 rpms light loads no troller though

K.Kiser

Solid #'s for sure... If your getting that performance and haven't spun around yet, then I wouldn't change it..

chad202

Haha, y'all knew it was coming. Ill give a shortened different version. I do not believe a generic lip height works for every application. I think it should be altered for different HP and intended use. That's like saying the same prop will be the best for every boat loaded or not. Jmo

Jimxb02

Don't touch the lip !!! The shape and dimensions are more complex than a cursory observation can detect. From the numbers you stated you have an efficient setup ( prop slip is between 7 and 8 percent ). Your boat is reacting the way most XB02's run.

Suicideally post above has some good driving suggestions. When the boat rolls over and flattens out , just bump the trim up . See how the boat reacts and if speed increases. If it starts to lean right , bump the trim down.

Jim

suicidealli

There is no way I would touch the lip....JMO. I have drove a 2002 without a lip, and it ran fine with. 280, and drag elec. IMO the lips helps a lower hp boat the most.....
I have worked my pad and spray the pad with a primer type material. My lip is stock, but has been sprayed too, but has stock demensions... I have been 116 mph.
9200rpms, 26 cut chopper, 1.75 gears. The 2002 lip is one of the best. JMO
The ss is one of the worse..JMO

Roy

K.Kiser

Haha, y'all knew it was coming. Ill give a shortened different version. I do not believe a generic lip height works for every application. I think it should be altered for different HP and intended use. That's like saying the same prop will be the best for every boat loaded or not. Jmo
I agree with alot of this, but I tend to agree pertaining to the XB03's mainly which have really big lips... The XB02 was intended for a different usage from the get go, and the lip smaller to accomodate this..

chad202

Yes I do agree with that. I'm just anal though. I haven't removed the lip on my 02 and have no plans to. It was blueprinted at the factory to .045 for a 280 application. I like a little more sharpness where the water peels off so I took it down to .032 to get that sharpness I like. That's where it's staying.

suicidealli

Yes I do agree with that. I'm just anal though. I haven't removed the lip on my 02 and have no plans to. It was blueprinted at the factory to .045 for a 280 application. I like a little more sharpness where the water peels off so I took it down to .032 to get that sharpness I like. That's where it's staying.
I totally agree with the sharpness of the lip......

Roy

msharp

I believe in the Kizer's way of thinking. Got to get bigger #'s than what has been posted to ever mess with the pad.

K.Kiser

Gotta be sure to take the material from the face of the lip until it reduces rearward to a sharp break, and not off the top of the lip or it negates the effect... This can be difficult to do accurately for a beginner, and keep it symmetrical across the foil surface..

tomoad

so when the nose drops down, then hit the trim, sooo it will either go sideways or run a little faster. so is there someone on here that has experience this and when the nose dips down they hit the trim and what happened?