XB 02 or 03

Fatshaft Merc

I'm gonna get a new(to me) boat after the first of the year and it'll be either an xb 02 or 03.

Which one rides the best, handles/drives best, and which one is less likely to hook?

whipper

Hears my two cents even though I never drove one but sure have read alot of what every thinks of them both. The biggest thing with the two is what your intended use is first and formost. The 03 has more room and can seat 5. The 02 has room but seats 3 or 4. If your on Bigger water with lots of wakes the 03 has more freeboard. Ther 02 is no slouch in the waves but has less free board. The 02 is much faster than the 03. Some 02,s have been well over 120mph with a 300 drag. The 03 will be a 103-106mph hull with a 260+ motor. Some have been just a little faster close to 110 but only one or two guys on the edge of the hulls design limitts there. Any hull will hook any Vee hull mostly. Having said that All Allisons are very forgiving driven within there design capeabilitys. Speed for power the 02 is fastest. Both will drive to 90-100 with little issues. Over 100 on any boat 20ft or less is getting up there but the 02 will drive there easier because the hull design is capable of way over 100 compared to the 03. Not saying 100 would be scary in an 03 just that the narrower 02 slices threw the air and water best. Fishing from an 03 would be more user freindly than the 02 but the 02 fishes just fine for most but the most demanding tornament fisherman from what Ive heard.

If I was able to buy another boat knowing what I know now after haveing my Grand Sport for 5 years boating in rough and calm water I would be buying an XB03 with a hoped up 225 Promax to over 300 hp on a Tandem trailer or a motor like Gary Fintchs.:big grin I love to fish and can still ski and have the family boating all in one fast 100mph boat. If I didnt have to bring 4 aboard some times I would buy an XB02 with the same power, large consol ProComp. If I was rich for the best of both worlds I would would have a XB21 with a 300 big block and a XR2001 with a 300 Drag to fill my speed needs.:beer:

resqu-u

I agree with Whip on, What do you intend to use it for? I love my 03, the good thing is so does my wife and 4 year old son. It is a great family platform with room for a days fishing, playing, or cruising. My 225 PM gets me down the river pretty good :) If you don't intend to haul the family the 02 is a very capable choice, esp if your looking for Speed. Either way you'll love it just like the rest of us, and enjoy all the great people on this board! :cool:

chad202

I just went from a 03 to 02 and so far do not regret. The 03 does have more room side/side in the cockpit area but the 02 has more room front/back in the cockpit which to me makes it better cause more leg. The 03 with all the seats in is actually tight when it comes to leg room. I prefer the rod locker on the 02 over the 03 but the tackle storage of the 03 over the 02. The rear compartments is a wash. I actually believe the 02 cut boat wakes better than the 03. Don't know about rough water yet cause I haven't been in any. I prefer the handling of the 02 over the 03. The 03 is more stable when fishing over the 02. The wind protection of the 03 is better than the 02 but the 02 is better than I thought it would be.

whipper

Good description chad.:wink There was also a thread a few weeks ago comparing the two. In the thread the consences was that more guys who went from an 03 to an 02 never went back to an 03 over guys with an 02 to 03 they were more lickely to go back to 02 if that helps also.:beer:

Texan

Having not actually driven an 02, and only owned and driven an 03 for the last several years, I would have to agree with all comments above from what I've heard AND seen. I've got a buddy with an 02 that we drove to Allison plant, picked up, rigged out and hung a 280 on. He's easily over 100 with a bone stock 280 on the rear end and with driver and another 200 pounder sitting behind him. He doesn't use it to fish out of anymore and point of fact, hasn't seen fit to mount a troller on it since we pulled it back from Tennessee. I've got a 260 hanging and frankly, have only strung it out a few times with a light load and only me in the cockpit. Even then I had a troller on the front and still hit the mid 90's before I let off. It's all in what you're looking for in a boat. For me, there is me, my wife and my one son and we're comfortable. We've had six in the boat at times and still been able to cruise comfortably, albeit a bit snug. The 02, IMHO would be snug for tackle and a fishing partner. When my partner and I fish, we take the back seats out leaving the front two in along with the butt seats for front and rear. We've never had space issues. The only time we've had space issues is when we've had another three going out to a rally to set up on a point or beach somewhere.

Again to echo comments above, its all in what you want to do with the boat. Like Whipper said, in a perfect world, I would have two or maybe even three. I would jump up to a XB-21 to fish, drop down to a 02 to go fast, and a GS to have fun and play with the family. But IMHO, an 03 is the best all around Allison for the money.

BTW....they will all hook if you don't treat them with the respect necessary at the speeds they can run. Set up, set up, set up. Just remember that generally they hook to the right so if you chop the throttle, be prepared to steer hard to the left. Even then, you may be in for a ride. remember to use the kill switch and be aware of what's in front of you. Been there....done that....don't recommend it. Pay attention and drive them up to speed and drive them back down. Don't forget the drive back down part.

Last edited:

Myron

it is all what you are looking for and what you do with a boat, I have owned both at different times like both but I like my 2003 way better than the 2002

Fatshaft Merc

Either one of them will fish better than what I have now and my current boat fishes fine for me. I usually fish alone as I do most of my fishing in the middle of the week when everyone else is working.

I really can't see more than 2 other people being with me and that would be on rare occasions. So the extra room of the 03 would rarely be noticed. I don't carry 20 rods and 1/2 of bass pro shops in tackle so storage isn't an issue.

The 02 is my first choice, preferably one with a hull weight of 750-800lbs. I want the acceleration and speed.

Either one will have way more room than my current boat, so I'd only get the 03 IF there is a significant difference in the ride and handling. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

So, unless someone can convince me that the 03 rides and handles THAT much better, it looks like I'll be going with the 02.

Myron

I fish Okeechobee, when it gets rough I will take my 03 anyday, the 02 does ride well but in my opinion not even close

K.Kiser

Don't get hung up to much on getting a real light one, the different weight don't make alot of difference unless your competitively drag racing or have polar opposites like a heavier than average tournament lay-up against a lighter than average comp... The compartment lids are noticeably thinner on the lighter models as is the swim steps in the back where a knee often gets put down... Your not gonna break a light one, but the regular 02's feel better under foot while fishing than a light one... If you fish by yourself or with a partner that also likes speed then I'd get the 02... If your a serious fisherman and typically have a partner than I'd get the 03...

Fishforcash

I fish mostly alone and I was concerned about the 02. I drove Dennis Hoffman's boat on the Red River last may and absolutely fell in love. Totaly different animal than the 03 (which I also love) but I will be in a 02 when I get my next HP boat.

catfish123

For some reason, there always seems to be a good supply of both the 02 and the 03 for sale, so one should be able to find a suitable boat of either model.

Last edited:

whipper

This would be for Fatshaft Mercs info as well as mine on the 02. what consol is best for what resons also? The Single consol solo seems fine and there CC. The wide consol does it scrub much speed and do they come side steer and CC or just side steer? I can see the CC small consol being just fine solo. The fishability of the small looks best also as you can zip up to the bow from iether side. Anyone fish both?

Fatshaft Merc

Thanks for bringin' that up. I went back and forth on that and I've pretty much decided to just go with the small center console. For a couple of reasons, like you said, easier access to the front deck, easier to balance by not having to add counter weight when solo, there are a lot more available, and I think it looks cool, especially with the fairing on the back, if that's what you call it. :)

I would prefer the wide console with the side slide, for the extra wind protection. I'd have to sit in one with the seat slid over and see how it felt to me with the steering wheel off center. I don't know how I'd like that. Does it bother any of you that have this set up?

Last edited:

xb03fs

I am not a big fan of sitting off to the side, but I only let Kathy sit up front and I have a pretty low speed limit in the boat (not on the pad) when she it there so its not a big deal. Everyone else rides in the back.

K.Kiser

I am not a big fan of sitting off to the side, but I only let Kathy sit up front and I have a pretty low speed limit in the boat (not on the pad) when she it there so its not a big deal. Everyone else rides in the back.
I've also found it difficult to go back to side steer after being in the center, unless I'm in a bonafied fishing boat...

xb03fs

Just so much easier to distribute weight. I have it balanced for solo running. With two up, passenger sits directly behind me. three up they sit spaced behind me and 4 up They sit equally spaced behind me.

this is best for legroom for passengers as well..Sitting in the back blows for anyone with both seats up front. with a single bucket they can put one leg on either side of the bucket pretty easy. 5 is crowed