Wt to do???

F2008

You have to drill out some of the splines so it fits further down on the shaft. I did it to the first small shaft Merc hubbed Hydromotive I bought so I could use it on my Evinrude Intruder. Worked fine.

Some guys say if you do that there's not enough splined area left to use it on a Merc again without spinning the prop shaft in the hub. I'm running mine on my pro max occasionally with no issues so far. But, .....if it does spin I'll just have it re-hubbed.

F2008

I don't remember the bit diameter off the top of my head sorry, but you only want to take the splines out, no other material. When I did it I would drill a little bit and fit it on the shaft, then drill a little.... etc etc until it contacted the thrust washer.

TBuck2003

Drill or ream out splines until there is 3/4 " inch of spline left and you will be good to go... Good luck

TBuck

TBuck2003

Prop nut side only 3/4" remaining. So you will have nothing but a round bore from thrustwasher side then there will only be 3/4" left (splines) when you get to the prop nut side. Hope that helps...

TBuck

allison86

Ok a one inch drill bit but I'm going to be taking 1 1/2" to leave 3/4"! Not to question anyones knowledge but is that for sure!

Tim Bostic

Ok a one inch drill bit but I'm going to be taking 1 1/2" to leave 3/4"! Not to question anyones knowledge but is that for sure!
We used to use a 1" holesaw.....
The splines were 2 1/4" long so we would remove 1 1/4" leaving 1" length of splines.
When you run it on a Merc shaft, it would twist the propshaft where you could not slide a Merc prop back on.... eventually, the shaft would break. You need the full length splines for the Merc application.
We have hubs for either application.

Thanks, Tim Bostic

K.Kiser

^^ That's good info to know... I wasn't aware as to any side effect of running an OMC hub on a Merc, now I do...