Wizzard pistons

Fishforcash

What do you guys think about Wizzard pistons in a iron bore motor? (Warmed over ProMax)

JaySmithRacing

I have several motors running them in "warmed-up" Pro max one has been running for 2 1/2 years with no issues...Just gotta give em proper clearance ( .008" ) STD bore and .009" over bored sizes and run the correct oil. .

Jay

Last edited:

tomoad

Jay done my promax, I haven't had any problems as of yet. I'm running 32/1 mercury premium plus. Been thinking of going to the pennzoil blend but still thinking on that. mercury plus is good oil. I also have ran a couple of gallons of the mercury racing oil as well

K.Kiser

Jay done my promax, I haven't had any problems as of yet. I'm running 32/1 mercury premium plus. Been thinking of going to the pennzoil blend but still thinking on that. mercury plus is good oil. I also have ran a couple of gallons of the mercury racing oil as well
None of My business, but I'd stick with what Your doing... Surely if the tune is kept sharp and the rpm's reasonable You'll get at least a few hundred hours between ring jobs... I'm so sick of steel sleeves and forged pistons right now that I just feel like balling up in a corner and whimpering... My next one may very well be a warmed over type of Promax, they seem to have a strong service life... Are Your pistons forged or does wizard offer a hypereutectic piece..?

K.Kiser

Dang, I was hoping they offered a hyperU piston also... Forged in a steel Merc has become one of My most disliked items on this planet... LOL

JaySmithRacing

Kevin with correct piston rings , proper clearance, and correct oil a forged piston will live as well as cast on steel bores...Most folks that used production Weiscos have sticking problems because of the super high tention the production ring creates against the bore ( the production Weisco forged piston ring has 7 lbs outboard thrust against the bores on the other had Wizards outboard thrust is only 2 1/2 lbs, allot less friction and heat to create gaulding )

Hope that helped,
Jay

K.Kiser

I have done the cooling mods, 3.502 bores, 10 hours breakin, quicksiver oil, preferred rings from Marles @ .028" gap on each cylinder and much advice from John Marles and I still can't keep it from galling --- twice... I'm gonna re-ring one hole with a couple more low tension chromes and see what happens, it if doesn't act sociable this last time then it will be history... I never had a mechanical endeavor go bad until this engine, Marine or Automotive ... Oh well, these are My own laughable personal problems and I'll get off this Gentleman's thread with My whining -lol... Thanks for Your time and help Jay, You and John Marles also have tried to be very helpful and I aprreciate that... Fishforcash, I apologize for My issues on Your topic...

Fishforcash

Fishforcash, I apologize for My issues on Your topic...
No aplogy nessasary. I want to know all I can know about any issues doing this. I am in the planning stages of this motor right now so I have plenty of time to evaluate what I am going to do. I have a option of going forged (Wizzards are my choice since they are already top pinned/balanced/coated); or balancing/top pinning my stock pistons and just limiting my max rpms to 7200. I am going with steel caged internals, balanced rods anyway so I was thinking going forged pistons for the extra rpms I could turn. I dont want this to be a 8k motor. Its going to be a fishing motor and a big block is not a option with me. This platform is the best one I have ever owned so this is the canadate for the project.

Keep em coming boyz. I enjoy the imput.

JaySmithRacing

Just a tip I told Dave Bush about several years ago in regards to using forged pistons on steel bores successfully as he was having hell sticking Weiscos..l...
Cryo the suspect pistons, I use 300 Below in Decatur Ill...Then take the rings to a ceramic shop and have the people hang them in their kilds for several firings and that will take some of the ZIP ( tention ) from the rings and cause them to be less abrasive on bores...That is IF all your electrics , water system, and fuel delivery systems are healthy...

Jay

Last edited:

froggy

Jay,

Have you tried cryo-ing the rings too? The cryo treatment should stress relieve the rings and lower their tension but keep the hardness in tact.

froggy

K.Kiser

No aplogy nessasary. I want to know all I can know about any issues doing this. I am in the planning stages of this motor right now so I have plenty of time to evaluate what I am going to do. I have a option of going forged (Wizzards are my choice since they are already top pinned/balanced/coated); or balancing/top pinning my stock pistons and just limiting my max rpms to 7200. I am going with steel caged internals, balanced rods anyway so I was thinking going forged pistons for the extra rpms I could turn. I dont want this to be a 8k motor. Its going to be a fishing motor and a big block is not a option with me. This platform is the best one I have ever owned so this is the canadate for the project.

Keep em coming boyz. I enjoy the imput.
Like Jay said, make absolutely sure that the electronics and fuel delivery are jam-up without a doubt... Have the bores in tip top condition in regard to being straight, round and with the proper cross hatch... If you're gonna limit the engine to 7,200 and don't plan on running wide open for miles on end then I would leave the cooling system alone to allow for the t-stats to give it a quicker warm up which helps alot with the ring and bore life span... Also with such a low rpm, IMO a real nice quality hypereutectic piston like a Vertex would help a lot in terms of preventing galling because of the more preferrable low expansion rate compared to a forged piece, and many many of the Vertex piston go WELL over 8,000 without issue on a healthy engine, and over 9,000 in short bursts... Leave the cooling system factory, good set of high quality hypereutectic pistons, good bores, good electrical, good fuel system and that would be a real solid foundation... It's when You start turning some RPM and the pistons and cooling system that it requires is what brings all the quirks and finickyness that can be so frustrating...

K.Kiser

Just a tip I told Dave Bush about several years ago in regards to using forged pistons on steel bores successfully as he was having hell sticking Weiscos..l...
Cryo the suspect pistons, I use 300 Below in Decatur Ill...Then take the rings to a ceramic shop and have the people hang them in their kilds for several firings and that will take some of the ZIP ( tention ) from the rings and cause them to be less abrasive on bores...That is IF all your electrics , water system, and fuel delivery systems are healthy...

Jay
I may give the kiln thing a try, and I'll sure check My fuel and engine management again closely... I don't have the $$ to do the cryo procedure on the slugs, at this point I feel like I would then just gall a more expensive piston - lol...

TBuck2003

Never had them in a steel bore motor,but by far the best piston I have run in a nic motor,and Dean and Jay stand behind them.If Jay tells you it should work and he has done it I would not hesitate.

TBuck