Who would actually buy a new comsumer 200XS Merc if they built one ?

skewby

summer? this is the best time of the year to go run. no toons or wake boats out. i say that and have not had my boat out in almost a month. not been a good year for me.

bigtis

Lol Dave yea, the soft 6750-6800 limiters what it had then when you bang it 7k it falls hard to 6400 or so. It was a little hairy banging the rev with a big case, but not the xr6.

Dave Hensley

Lol Dave yea, the soft 6750-6800 limiters what it had then when you bang it 7k it falls hard to 6400 or so. It was a little hairy banging the rev with a big case, but not the xr6.
Yep. I know you like bat turns!!! My 2013 gen 2 is down there around you on a fishing boat I think. Oran was selling it.

fasteddie

Keep hunting Dave.:LMAO:Guess you guys have to get bigger motors to outrun the little 175:D I'll see ya'll on the bar in the spring!!

bigtis

Wayne has that engine on a white and yellow xb03. It's his first Allison, and I don't think he got it down packed just yet. Did send off the ecu and put a lite weight flywheel on it, but I think he don't wanna let me drive it lol.

Dave Hensley

Wayne has that engine on a white and yellow xb03. It's his first Allison, and I don't think he got it down packed just yet. Did send off the ecu and put a lite weight flywheel on it, but I think he don't wanna let me drive it lol.
Wow!! I need me a yellow and white '03!!!! Especially with a souped up gen 2

bigtis

It's a lifetime boat for him. I'm begging for the windshield and troller to come off for a lil weekend cruise but, he's either working, working, hunting, or fishing.

Jon

Supporting Member
The 200XS isn't a bad motor as it sits today, it just is kind of sluggish. As someone else mentioned, it is WELL ahead of any other merc when it comes to fuel economy. I was never impressed with the power though, which again, was not a fundamental flaw of the motor. It could be more peppy with some lighter internals, but it isn't a looper and consequently doesn't have a huge amount of potential for long term reliable performance. To get more performance, the XS series would have to develop more power at lower RPM's, and rely more on the gear case. A 1.75 or even a 1.62, if it could be made to pull it, would be ideal for that motor setup. The DI theory is proven, and has been around for 16ish years now in performance watercraft, and most higher end auto motors are DI now as well.

A good motor would be a 3L DI with 2.5 lower. It'll never give you that 10k rpm note though.

Dave Hensley

Hey if more folks would just pony up $23K, put a deposit down and wait a year it would be the answer to our prayers.

Lotus 50

Who would buy a 16K 200XS? Maybe just me, and if so, it won't happen. Back to building something to hold my jerry cans vertical.

Jon

Supporting Member
When did they start shipping the XS's with a 1.75? The gen 1's were 1.87's. Also, a 1.75 with what pitch prop? Redline on my XS tag was 6500 but was factory set at 6900 in the ECU.

My XS with a 1.87 did not have the power to pull a 28 up to red. I never tried a 26 though.

bigtis

My gen 2 was a 68ish soft limit, then at 7k it hits a hard rev and falls on its face to around 6-6400 then starts pulling again. Pretty violent if it's setup to run.

1.75' in a big case, and 1.78's in a xr6. I could put it on the rev with 30's. The boat is for sale now. It's the yellow and red xb03 on ally owners fb page.

bigtis

If the 200xs left the dealer for 16. They would sell like hotcakes.

Hell I would buy as many as I could and part the ones I didn't keep

Dave Hensley

The gen 1 was a 200 hp motor. The gen 2 had an updated compressor, higher exhaust timing, probably healthier exhaust chest design and I am guessing a different curve in the PCM. They were propshaft dyno capable of around 237hp. Really no comparison between the two. Like a 260 vs a 280. Tis you are correct. At $16K they would be a perfect replacement motor for 1000's of guys piecing together junk just to keep running.

aeneas

Nothing wrong with the gen 1. Have one since it was new and it is a fuel efficient very reliable 95mph (probably 100mph when I am done adjusting) engine for the SS-2000. When/if i blow the powerhead I will not hesitate to go new gen 2.