Which Motor?

Tom M

OK, I'm tired of messing with the vast selection of used Merc parts out there to make what ultimately has become my Franken Merc.
The parts are old and prone to failure and probably out of date technology wise.

Frankly, I don't think I have enough time to learn what the brain trust here takes for granted. I just want to go boating, do regular and proper maintenance, check bolts and concentrate on driving skills and set up.

The boat is a 93 xr2001rr in good condition, fixed 8" stock jack plate, plan to add Allisons Skid Planer, have a new Bobs 6" Flats Jack but don't really want to add the weight.

I could throw cubic dollars at the biggest baddest motor out there but that's not what "should" be necessary.

What's the best bang for the buck in a fairly new or brand new motor out there that would work well on my boat?
Not looking to set my hair on fire or squeeze the last mph out of it, just enjoy it.
After-all, it's a darn nice boat to start with.

I know it's a fairly open question and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks, Tom
The Great White North.

FlatOutAlly

To me, an XR01 is wasted if it doesn't have decent horsepower from a light motor. In my mind, you have two choices. A rebuilt 2.5 or a new 200XS (18k?). Were it me, I'd go with the former. Lot's of people out there can build you a solid 2.5, Nic or Steel holes, your choice. Good luck in your quest.

Tom M

I agree that a 2.5 is the logical choice but that covers a fairly wide range of years and styles from carb to fuel injected drag motors. I presume a nic motor will rev higher and a steel will last longer but rev lower all things being equal.

I suppose I'm looking for suggestions as to where performance meets reliability, you know, the sweet spot. Hopefully a few with more knowledge of such things will chime in.

I'm fairly new to this forum and am not familiar with the engine builders, maybe a few could pm me with suggestions.

SSTOM

A steel sleeve will rev as much as a nic if everything is right. I have a modded steel sleeve motor on my SS with crankcase injection (same as 260,280,drag) EFI and is very strong.

FlatOutAlly

....I suppose I'm looking for suggestions as to where performance meets reliability, you know, the sweet spot....
Promax. Modded, if you desire, but even stock it would fit your bill, especially if you want to keep your hands off it. Fair amount of hp. Aftermarket upgrades. New and used parts to be had. Cheaper to fix. You can start with a lamb and change up to a lion..... What's not to like?

bullwhipjkg

ive got a 225 promax on my drag rite now has a 8 k rev limit
its fun accelerates hard with a 26 yamaha it runs 97 and some change and gets there in a hurry

Tom M

Thanks everyone .... Leaning towards the 225 Pro Max.
Motors like the 225x and harder to find up here where boating season is literally "a season".

As said, the Pro Max is available, upgradable and serviceable.
I've be told a 97 or later is the power head to have, correct?
Assuming it's to be re-built any suggestions on a good starting point and issues to be aware of?

Jimxb02

You can't go wrong with the 225 promax for all the reasons listed above --- strong running, lots of spare parts available, steel sleave easy to repair.

Also, the 95 through 97 are strong running ---- some numbers from dyno runs show above the 225 rating.

I have one on my xb2002 that has some Brucato mods that will run 98 to 100 MPH when the water and weather are OK.

Also, a Merc 200 with laser injection can be built to run very strong if you have trouble finding a promax.

Jim

Tom M

Interesting that you mention the Laser.
I'm negotiating with a guy right now on a 200. Has a dead cyl but he wants too much. I'm thinking way under $1k, he's at 2.
Keeping my options open, season up here is almost done.

Darth VMAX

What is the history on the LAser injected mercs? What is the litre? HP variants, years produced? Main production or Racing?

Sorry for the hijack, but just don;t know anything about them.

bullwhipjkg

A 200 efi (laser injected) built rite with drag or 260 electrics stock rotating assembley and no port work properly tuned computer - brucato or merc a-6 ( properly tuned) can run a 95-100 in a 1/4 mile
Good lil motor

Tom M

Interesting reply. I'm no engine builder so please excuse the ignorance here and others may want to know.
By drag or 260 electrics and properly tuned computer are you referring to ignition electrics and ecu?

Tom M

Thanks, that was a good read.
Sounds like a potent motor with the right parts and they're all right there in a list. Wish everything was that easy.
As mentioned earlier, I'm not an engine builder and have no delusions of being one. Any recommended builders?

Tom M

Decision made ....
Going with the 225 Pro Max. There seems to be a good supply of power heads out there in both stock and modified configurations, lots of go faster parts (when desired) and most importantly is newer technology.
This with a 1.87 Sportmaster and I'm good to go.
Now, if I could just get my trim to work reliably I'll be all set, but that's another story.

Tom M

Final questions on 2.5's ....
I've been offered an unbelievable deal on a running 1999 200EFI.
Has low compression on one cylinder so it will need a rebuild.

Info available on the various EFI models available back then is murky.
As I understand it;
- Laser models have injectors in front of the reeds
- Pro Max models have injectors in the crankcase
- Are there other models / types I'm not aware of?
- Are the mounting studs and positions for a 99 2.5 the same as earlier V6's, say a mid 90's 150?

Thanks to everyone who has responded, it's really appreciated.

bullwhipjkg

promax and efi laser are the same injection before the reeds

yes on the last ?? also

and that 99 efi 200 would be a perfect candidate to build a prostock motor out of

ive got a 99 block ive been hording for some time to build 1 my self