Which heads are interchangeable?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a guy wanted to up the compression on a 225x (O ring heads) could he get tighter heads from something else? What else has O ringed heads? How about using gaskets and heads without the O ring?

Any idea about the volume of a stock head? I haven't measured them yet.

Sick of snow and ice, just thinking about the boat.

:beer:

catfish123

Dave,

Have you ever explored what it will do with the stock heads?........I would think it should easily run 98+mph and get there pretty quick. How fast you wanna go? I might make you a good trade on my 280, now that I have come to my senses...........LOL

LakeAnna

Dave,

Have you ever explored what it will do with the stock heads?........I would think it should easily run 98+mph and get there pretty quick. How fast you wanna go? I might make you a good trade on my 280, now that I have come to my senses...........LOL
Bob did you just say something about a X for a 80??:smile

Darth VMAX

Dave,

Have you ever explored what it will do with the stock heads?........I would think it should easily run 98+mph and get there pretty quick. How fast you wanna go?
Heck, I would have guessed trips with a 225x/XB2002

Darth VMAX

I was just basing that from the 95-97 mph speeds posted from 225x/XB2003 owners that a 225x/XB2002 would touch trips basing on the 3-4 mph speed advantage the XB2002 has over the XB2003 at those speeds (I realize the XB2002 speeds keep going after the 03 hits the "wall" so therfore the speed advantage gets bigger). So perhaps 99-101 with a well set-up XB2002/225x?

2003225X

I was just basing that from all the 95-97 mph speeds posted with 225x/XB2003 owners that a 225x/XB2002 would touch trips basing on the 3-4 mph speed advantage the XB2002 has at those speeds (I realize the XB2002 speeds keep going after the 03 hits the "wall" so therfore the spped advantage gets bigger). So perhaps 99-101 with a well set-up XB2002/225x?
I am sure one would run over 100mph, but it would have to be setup very well. The main thing that would hold you back is the stock rev limiter of the 225x. If you habe a stock limiter, you need to turn at least a 32 pitch to the limiter. To do it, you should have a raised limiter, which his motor does have. His is 7300, and mine is 7500.

I do not know how much of a performance gain you would have with different heads. I wouldn't expect anything on the high end. I had thought about thay before... but by the time you pull them off, get them cut the same as oem, shipping, and all new gaskets you are looking at some money. The only way I would get them done is if it was cut like the oem heads.... no way I would run silicone on the heads.

I have lightened the flywheel on mine and raised the limiter. I have a motor that will last for hundreds and hundreds of hours, run 100+mph, and get 5 to 6mpg. Its not worth messing with it anymore!

LakeAnna

Matt did you fire yours yet? I hope to have mine back together this week...

I know Jay Smith cut some heads for a guy on s&fly a while back. No idea how that may have turned out? If I where going to do it Marty @ Diamond would be the one I would call.

2003225X

Matt did you fire yours yet? I hope to have mine back together this week...

I know Jay Smith cut some heads for a guy on s&fly a while back. No idea how that may have turned out? If I where going to do it Marty @ Diamond would be the one I would call.
No, I have not. Just saw the boat on Saturday and it is almost done at this point. Jay Smith cut heads for David Lanham that has a 225x. He (David) told me he wouldn't bother doing it to the motor. I guess he didn't see much of a gain out of it. He had to have them cut several times because they were not yeilding the compression numbers he wanted.

From what I was told, the guy that does Jay Smith's machine work is the ONLY person that can cut oem oring heads for the 225X. Now that is from Jay's mouth... so whether he is the only one or not, who knows.

Do you know for a fact Marty can cut them that they are 100% done like OEM? He can recut all the grooves so there is no need for silicone?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the opinions. I was hoping somebody could answer my questions. Not a big deal, too much snow and ice anyhoo.

2003225X

Thanks for all the opinions. I was hoping somebody could answer my questions. Not a big deal, too much snow and ice anyhoo.
Hopefully it's soon over! I would just like to know if Marty can cut them to OEM spec.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only way I would get them done is if it was cut like the oem heads.... no way I would run silicone on the heads.
Why? A little silicone to hold 20-25 lbs of water pressure at the most? Doesn't seem like a big deal. I know cutting the heads gives quite a bit of punch on the bottom and midrange. It's all about 0-90.

Back to the original question as asked, because I'm curious about it too. Are any heads interchangeable? Or did mother merc in her infinite wisdom make several different molds for heads?

David Lanham

Story Time:
Yes, Jay shaved the heads on my 225X. He ended up cutting them twice to achieve my desired the 140-145 compression. The second cut yielded 150 psi (sort of). At this time Jay was still experimenting with amount shaved vs increase in comp with this style of o-ring head.

BUT !!!!!!

I learned latter that the X

LakeAnna

David did you or Jay every check to see what cc the heads ended up at after they where cut? I know stock the X heads are 36.5 or so the book says...
I ran cut 33's on my 260 with pump fuel and it was a nice match. I wouldn't mind tightening mine a little but really I guess there is no reason to fool with it...
not like I have a drag boat anyway.:very sad

catfish123

First of all, I'm not "mechanically" minded in any way AND I'm not questioning this deeper pocket thing. I have done compression tests on 3 different 225X's and my current 280. I don't understand the deeper pocket thing and how that somehow changes the compression if using a "standard" gauge. If someone can better explain this, please do so. Thanks. I just can't get past thinking the gauge is measurement pressure through the spark plug hole, and I don't see how that reading would be different without changing the heads themselves? Please, I'm just looking to understand this, not argue about it. Thanks. If this has to do with a 3/4" reach plug vs. a 1/2" reach plug..then I guess I sort of understand.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

Bob... I don't know either but I would guess it's the larger volume/area in the chamber because of the plug hole. I do know that if you cc the heads you will know what the deal is in relation to comp. numbers.

catfish123

I know I have a long reach and a short reach adapter for my compression gauge although it's up at the lake. At some point, we will check Matt's 225X with both adapters and will post the results. I'm pretty sure on the several 225X's that I had checked that they all were right around 125psi and I do believe we were using the long reach adapter for those tests.