Where are we guys?

GotMyAlly

I think I disagree in regard to parts being hard to get and rebuild costs high. I can get anything I want for a 2.5
Or 3 liter from Pro Marine, and when you compare the price of a rebuild to the cost of a new 250R or 300R, a rebuild looks pretty good.
Are you doing the rebuild yourself, or paying for someone else's time and expertise?

22R

I know there is this fear of finding no parts for our motors as time passes but I am in the process of refinishing my 1968 Mercury 110 9.8 right now. I still can find most common parts for it and uncommon or NLA on ebay and Merc made I am almost sure alot more 2.5 liter engines than 10 HP ones. I think the parts problem is not all that much of a problem compared to the cost and complexity of a 4 stroke that is out of warranty.

22R

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The 360 APX motor, while being stupid money expensive, was to me a very exciting development. Not this paticular motor itself, but what the package represents in terms of being a harbinger of what the direction is and what is possible. The guys who buy this now are bringing down the cost of the technology, and the technology continues to advance with more and more composite parts. Even though it has a speedmaster lower, its overall weight is about the same or even lighter than a 200XS. I will keep my 200XS, 2.5 260's, and Drag motor running for the next few years when I expect to see 300-400hp 4-stroke outboards in the 450 lb range and around USD $20k.

GotMyAlly

I think I disagree in regard to parts being hard to get and rebuild costs high. I can get anything I want for a 2.5
Or 3 liter from Pro Marine, and when you compare the price of a rebuild to the cost of a new 250R or 300R, a rebuild looks pretty good.
You're a step or two ahead of me if you can handle your own rebuild. Im technical enough to tackle all my own maintenance and most repairs, but not a complete rebuild. So I'd have a bigger repair bill if mine went boom. But even if the rebuild cost was less than the trade- up cost to a new 4 stroke, I think id look at it as a good reason to upgrade. And I do believe it would be an upgrade in my case. More torque, same weight, same top end, no more 2 stroke oil, better idle, e.t.c.

But I know anybody coming from a 2.5 and facing the same decision is looking at adding 150 lbs to an already more weight sensitive boat (if on a xb02 or xb03). In that case, keep that 2.5 running as long as you can.

Reactions: 22R

gmorgan

You're a step or two ahead of me if you can handle your own rebuild. Im technical enough to tackle all my own maintenance and most repairs, but not a complete rebuild. So I'd have a bigger repair bill if mine went boom. But even if the rebuild cost was less than the trade- up cost to a new 4 stroke, I think id look at it as a good reason to upgrade. And I do believe it would be an upgrade in my case. More torque, same weight, same top end, no more 2 stroke oil, better idle, e.t.c.

But I know anybody coming from a 2.5 and facing the same decision is looking at adding 150 lbs to an already more weight sensitive boat (if on a xb02 or xb03). In that case, keep that 2.5 running as long as you can.
Everybody who rebuilds an engine has to do one for the first time.

allyfreek

360 APX motor, while being stupid money expensive, was to me a very exciting development. Not this paticular motor itself, but what the package represents in terms of being a harbinger of what the direction is and what is possible. The guys who buy this now are bringing down the cost of the technology, and the technology continues to advance with more and more composite parts. Even though it has a speedmaster lower, its overall weight is about the same or even lighter than a 200XS. I will keep my 200XS, 2.5 260's, and Drag motor running for the next few years when I expect to see 300-400hp 4-stroke outboards in the 450 lb range and around USD $20k.

Lou, it is good to hear from you. I agree on the 360 APX motor. I am standing by like you hoping Merc Racing is going to come through with something for us in the next couple of years also. Also can you get Darris to release the 22' boat soon. lol