whats the difference

Jared

whats the difference between a 225 pm powerhead and a 200 block with 225 componets arnt they both 2.5 liter just wondering if i get a extra power head would be worth getting if it is a ported 200 block

whipper

Just for a quick relpy without getting into details because I have none. :big grin Yes they are the same block right up to the 280 not sure if the 3000 is the same block but the other 2.5,s are. Differant bore & stroke I belive is the main differances. Ofcourse the 200 and 225 dont share the horn as the 260 and 280 and also the ecu and fuel delivery is differant for the 260 and 280. But the 200 and 225,s are the closest to the same pretty darn sure.

Jared

so would yall think the ported 200 would be as strong as the stock 225 if the ported 200 had all 225 componets

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think a lot of it is voodoo honestly. I had a 150 promax bone stock, 2.5L. It was the standard 5-petal front, and it even had the exhaust relief slots, which supposedly are a bad thing for big hp. There's no way that thing was 75hp less than my 225pm. That thing ran HARD, all the way up to 7k rpm! I think a properly done up 200 will run with a 225 easily. Like slomofo said tho, depends on who does the porting.

xb03fs

I am slower than 225 pmax's from what I read on here. I run 80 ish loaded 75 ish with everything but the kitchen sink and mid 80;s when the water allows by myself

xb03fs

I am slower than 225 pmax's from what I read on here. I run 80 ish loaded 75 ish with everything but the kitchen sink and mid 80;s when the water allows by myself in the summer time

these are summer time numbers, when its cold out side I have run 83 with passengers and I think I could easily run past my personal best of 85.4 when the weather cools off. When the weather cools off I feel that 87 or 88 is possible...also the boat was still gaining everytime I bumped the plate up, I was just 1/2" higher than I normally run I pussed out because I was happy with 85 that day on multiple passes. That day was mid 70s not hot but not cold by any means and very high humidity as had rained is why the temp was not 80 or 90 that day

Jared

yea i will probably leave the 200 block alone but i really need to find a spare powerhead for my 225, have it built, then save it for a rainy day only problem is they are excedingly hard to find for a decent price. but sooner or later i will run across a affordable head for a spare. Mayby a complete motor!

whipper

Arnt there 225 power heads comming up quite often on the boards? I always thought there was.Theres two yes two 225 promax,s with factory 15 inch mids SM cases minty shape complete and stock for 6500 each!!! Now thats cool!! http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?238177-1999-225-Promax Randy also has a 225 drop on for $2000 of a 2000 225promax!!! http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?238177-1999-225-Promax So the deals are deffinatly there. For Randys its hard to beat for 2000 bucks. Then youll have a spare. You would be hard pressed to beef up your 200 to 225 for under 2000 bucks.

I would buy that one and put on the the best one. Then Beef up the spare in your spare time over the winter. Then next spring swap em out and have a killer motor on there. 225,s from what Ive been told hop up nicely with SVS and some porting. Theres been lots of SVS systems selling in the $700 range lately. Some top pinned wizzards, a 8000 rpm rev limitter, and off to the races.
Nice thing about staying steel sleeved is you dont have to muck around every few years with a re nic job at 160-200hrs.

xb03fs

So you have a working 225 promax?

and a bare 200 block or a dropon with all the necessary components??

I think if you put the 225 components on the 200 block the only material item that would have to be changed is have someone flash the ECU to run correct for the porting of the 200 otherwise it might be a bit rich up top

OR

Get the 200 ported to 225 specs and have a backup that just would need all parts transfered over.

The ECU route would be cheaper I think $400 to 600 depending upon who does it

and I am not sure what proting costs but probably over 1K..

Personally this winter I think I may spend some dollars on

A light flywheel
Bump my ECU to 7200

tomoad

Whip nailed it. I had Jay Smith mod my 200 promax, he ported it almost to a 260, Wizzard pistons, SVS,PCU and limiter set at 9500 rpms, also I kept the 5 petal front, for what I paid I could of gotten any 260 or 280 out there but I like the steel sleeves & opted to go this route to get away from the rering deal every 140ish hr's. My motor will run like a raped ape, its reliable, & I have not had any problems with it what so ever, Jay built it In Jan/Feb of 2007. I put an offshore exhaust on it & of course its louder than stock and when people hear it, they know it has been worked on. I just tell everone its just a lil ol 200. Jay is one hell of a builder, he knows what he's doing. I took my boat to Tony Brucato for him to set up my PCU correctly, in which originally it was ok to start with, I was just being over cautious because of what I had in the motor and wanted everything right & Tony/Linda as well are a class act. its nice to know I can call these guys anytime & they answer any question I might have & there reply is usually 100% correct. Its all in what you want, from mild to wild, Also I know what I have, meaning if i had bought a 260/280 it could of blowed the first time out. the motor I have now could blow the next time out as well. but it is like Jay told me, You have bought the best parts there is out on the market today & I have built it the best that I know how.

I am still very happy with my motor.

LEVI LEDET

Set up the 200 like a dsra pro stock motor and you don't have to port anything and it will outrun a 225 promax all day long I had a xb2002 with my pro stock motor run 103 all day long with a 26 et Take the stock ecu and throw it away and find a a6 or a63 get a good fuel curve and the Lil 200 will put out around 250 hp maybe a Lil more and with the 5 petal front half it will have more bottom end then the 7 petal