What do you drag your Allison with?

fenwayfear

07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. It will pass anything but a gas station! Lol
They do burn a lot of fuel, not sure why given the cylinder deactivation feature. I guess 5k lbs and a hemi is what it is no matter the efforts to curb fuel consumption.

njj502

Oh it could be a LOT better but CARB & EPA got their damn fingers in it..... If my 2003 Buick LeSabre can knock down 28MPG with 192K on it why can't a midsize car do it now? If you had a custom tune done it would wake that Hemi up & better the MPG.

Back in 2005 I had a new GMC K1500 Regular cab short bed. It had the 5.3 LS in it and we did a custom tune, headers, no cats, true duals and a cold air intake. WOW did that wake it up. I had plans to put a cam in it but the tranny started getting soft at 35K. I guess shifting it at 6200 wasn't the best idea and I was WAAAYYYY past the "allowed" input torque for the 4L60E. I was going to put a 4L80E and the cam but then thought it wasn't such a good idea since the next thing would have been a turbo....

Last edited:

fenwayfear

Yes they did and honestly it wasn't a big of battle as it could have been. Finally I got pissed off and dropped the "safety & death" word in a conversation with the rep & district manager, three days later they offered the buy back. They did us good, gave us sticker vs sticker and didn't charge us for milage or wear & tear. Very stand up of them.

Note - both were V6's.
What type of mpg did you get with the V6? I drove both and the hemi just had that it factor and sucked me right in. The hemi is a lot of motor and has lots get-up compared to the V6, but really do not need it. Unlike our bigger motors on the Ally's those are needed and used:big grin!

njj502

She drives the Jeep... I get 10 year old junk.... :)

She gets not quite 20 just driving it. That's 85% hwy. With the Alli behind it (only towed once) I got 15.5. Dad's got a 18' plate boat that I brought back and got 14.5 towing it. Only complaint I have is that when you are towing it seems to downshift a bit early for my taste.

Westy

I always pulled my boats with V-8 Dakota's. They fit in the garage and with the 4.7 and 3.92 gears I never had a problem pulling up the mountains around here. Since they no longer make Dakota's I bought a 2012 Ram RT with the 5.7 Hemi. The RT comes with 4.10 gears and a higher stall then the regular Rams. All I can saw is WOW!

I've embarassed a few people with the the Alli behind me heading to the lake (of course they have no idea how light the Alli is).:big grin

aeneas

Don't you have a big boat? I thought I read some post....

My sister has a Jeep and she is PURE trouble in that damn thing.

I have some pics from Nags Head down at the inlet.... Jeeps are the only thing that will make the trip down the shore without a pull.
My buddy has a cj5 like a 80's model that we tossed the idea around about doing it frame off.

You think a smallblock would help it? LOL
Yes, you are correct I also own this with my uncle. It is a 2012 Stingray 225sx/Merc 377 Mag. It's not an Allison so I didn't bring it up here...

My Jeep is old but in very good shape, passed inspection in September with a clean sheet. The Jeep will get a new soft top and perhaps steel half doors... We will see how long it lives, I do all the servicing and mechanics myself and I drive a desk at work... :big grin I have tossed with the idea of a V8, so we'll see.

Your sister has great taste!

Last edited:

procomp

So funny the common interests. I tow with my Megacab, Magnum and Jeep.
I also have the redneck pic with the quad that I don't have any more but it did move the boat around very well.
Pic of the 1968 GMC I did a frame off about 20 years ago. Its long gone but was a great driver.

Attachments

LakeAnna

So funny the common interests. I tow with my Megacab, Magnum and Jeep.
I also have the redneck pic with the quad that I don't have any more but it did move the boat around very well.
Pic of the 1968 GMC I did a frame off about 20 years ago. Its long gone but was a great driver.
I like it! where is it now?? These trucks are worth a few bucks you know.

I have spent about a year on mine and god knows how much time... One thing about it though you can't go to the dealer and get one regarless of you pocket size.

procomp

I like it! where is it now?? These trucks are worth a few bucks you know.

I have spent about a year on mine and god knows how much time... One thing about it though you can't go to the dealer and get one regarless of you pocket size.
last I heard it was in North Dakota and if I ever did see it, it would be tough to not buy it back. Factory 327 :laughing

LakeAnna

last I heard it was in North Dakota and if I ever did see it, it would be tough to not buy it back. Factory 327 :laughing
really? hot little motor you know... I put a GM crate 385 in my truck and boy is it smooth. Sounds pretty hot even with the roller cam...
I hope it will get a few extra mpg with the overdrive and new gears.

I want the efi but the boat took all the money left...:embarassed

LakeAnna

Good looking truck..
I had a 69 chevy step side for a while back in the day. I use my 2003 suburban these days.
Roy
okay where is the truck??? I know you must have one.... fleetside, step whatever...

How bout Hensley??? He has 10 or 20 I bet...:shock:

njj502

Is that a Grandsport??? Looks fast!

hmmm. better lock the boat to that ford you know... Might get stolen lookin that good.
Thanks, Chris. Saw 91 last year with poor set up. Moved motor back 2.5" and up 3/8". Also lost 25 lbs in her butt as I changed from hyd to manual jackplate & 1pc to 2pc adapter. Hoping for a few more clicks this summer.

The Ford is for sale. Want to sell it since we're doing basement finishing and trying to put my shop up this year. I don't know the Alli is back there. I've had 12K behind it and you know it then but pulls it just fine.

Nick

resqu-u

I got rid of my Titan and went back to a Tacoma. Don't miss the gas guzzler at all. One things for sure Ally owners like to tow with nice vehicles :cool: