Transom cracked

matt931

I recently purchased an '88 xb2002 with a bad transom. I know it's rare but I have one!! It has a fairly large crack on the port side in the splash well and the bottom of the transom will flex in if you put weight on the cavitation plate on the engine. I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction to get this old girl repaired. Has anyone else had an xb02 transom replaced? I live in southern middle Tennessee. I'm about four or five hours west from the Allison plant. Should I just take her back to her birthplace and have the experts patch her up?

Jon

Supporting Member
I've only managed to watch someone replace a transom... and it smells awesome/terrible. People replace them somewhat commonly though. There is likely someone who can help glass one back in for you locally, and maybe Tony or another middle TN guy can help out. Allison would be more than happy to do it as well.

matt931

I've only managed to watch someone replace a transom... and it smells awesome/terrible. People replace them somewhat commonly though. There is likely someone who can help glass one back in for you locally, and maybe Tony or another middle TN guy can help out. Allison would be more than happy to do it as well.
Thanks Jon,
I'm going to keep looking for someone local before I make the pilgrimage to the allison Mecca! I have several friends that have had transoms replaced or damage repaired but never in an Allison. I've been around allisons my whole life but this is my first one and I want to make sure the work is done right.

matt931

I'd either go to Allison or take it to FL to Jack Barsh.
Yeah you're probably right. I'd rather have Allison do the repair anyway. I've already called Mr bill at Allison and started an account so maybe I can just charge it!!....yeah! That's it!! Boy don't I wish! Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the input.

fastallison21

I would definitely recommend taking it back to the allison factory, may cost a lil more than a idividual, but i think it be money well spent

matt931

I would definitely recommend taking it back to the allison factory, may cost a lil more than a idividual, but i think it be money well spent
I've already talked to several places (marinas and such) around here. What do u think is a "normal" price for a transom repair? Like I said earlier.. I'm so very appreciative for the reply.

michael j giesler

Hands down Allison or jack or plum crazy fiberglass but if it was me and i lived in Tennessee take it to Allison it will comeout bbetter than New

matt931

Do you have any idea what the factory would charge? I agree 100% that they will be the best option. I'm just wondering if anyone else my have had this done? I've already talked to bill at Allison but I'm having trouble emailing pics. I know, I know....I'm a Neanderthal!!! I'm a logger, I just now learned how to txt..... Maybe... Thanks guys, for real. I'm lost.

matt931

Hands down Allison or jack or plum crazy fiberglass but if it was me and i lived in Tennessee take it to Allison it will comeout bbetter than New
Uh oh....I think everybody may need a tetanus shot!! Seems like everybody got a bad case of lockjaw when I asked for an actual price!! Ha!!

resqu-u

There is nothing about owning an Allison that is a bargain so if you bought it to save money you might want to get out now. I would give Bill a call at the factory and get the numbers from him, everyone else will likely be just guessing. Very few Allison's out there that have had to have them done. With that in mind the factory would be my only choice to have a transom or any large hull damage repaired. With them doing it you get 100% piece of mind that your repair will be a perfect match, same OE quality and will return the value to your boat. You can call Bill at (865) 983-5920

GotMyAlly

I've got no idea what the factory might charge, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a $5k bill. Like was said above, you're going to be buried in that boat if you bought it as a fixer upper, unless you can do most of the work yourself. I'm guessing that's one of the first few 02's with a wood transom?

gmorgan

I had a friend who had an XB2002 and ran it into a bluff at 90 miles an hour on the Tennessee River, took off about four feet of the nose on one side and three feet on the other as it hit it at an angle. This is about 20 years ago. I carried it to the factory to be repaired. When I came to pick it up, it was across the street on the showroom in with some new boats. I thought they built me a new boat, it was that nice.

K.Kiser

Allison Co. is probably gonna be the most expensive option.. With that said it would not only remove all doubt of lesser quality and help come time for resale..

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will be hard to get an accurate estimate until somebody looks at it. They will need to totally derig the boat then remove the rub rail and take the top cap off. If you can strip the boat and take the motor off it may save you a bit. If you can split the top and bottom it probably wouldn't be hard to actually replace the transom if you can do any glass work.

matt931

I'm 90% sure it has a wood transom. I can pull out the plastic insert in the splash well drain and it feels like wet cardboard inside. I did buy the boat as a fixer upper. I have always enjoyed working on boats. I've loved anything that floats since I was a kid. If it was any other boat, I'd probably tackle the transom myself. I'm just not willing to mess up an Allison. I can handle pretty much anything else the boat needs. It's going to be a long project but it'll all be worth it in the end. Like I've said guys, thanks to everybody for the replies. I'm sure you will all be tired of my questions before long! The information you guys have is priceless.

gmorgan

Just re-read my post, and to be clear, it was a friend's boat and he had the wreck, but his insurance company didn't want the salvage, so I bought it with an Oklahoma drive-on trailer for 3,000, paid Allison 3,500 and had what looked like a brand new '89 XB2002. But, as I said, those prices are 20 years old. The only place they couldn't completely cover was in the inside of the front deck where the wrinkle finish is. There was no matching that, I guess.

K.Kiser

I got a transom replacement estimate by phone call from Bullet Boats to put a new one in a 17cc bullet.. This was 6 or so years ago and it was over $4k.. As posted earlier, I think $5k from Allison wouldn't suprise me at all